MMJ Covers Compilation

Started by aMD, Jul 28, 2006, 10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

Quote from: aMillionDreams on May 26, 2011, 11:47 PM
Quote from: e_wind on May 05, 2011, 03:09 PM
man it sucks that Jeremy wasn't recorded.

That was the one song on the list Jim asked me if I had.  He says he doesn't remember doing it and it may be the only one he might not want me to share.  When I told him Ger Potze said it was performed at Twice Told Coffee in 99 but not recorded he was relieved.  There are probably only 15 or so people who heard him do it.

Just the fact that 15 people watched MMJ play at Twice Told Cafe is nuts.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

woodnymph

Holy shits, just re-listened to the cover of Nick Drake's "Northern Sky," the cover of Donovan's "Wear Your Love Like Heaven," and "Dark End of the Street"............ sweet jeebiss...... forgot I'd stuck them on the end of a copy I made of YY's George Harrison tribute, what a sweet surprise after such a solid cover album!!!  I kind of want to approach Jim to recommend making a second G. Harrison tribute album.... like a full 25-track album  :-X

My top requests:  (in no particular order)
-Beware of Darkness
-I Live For You
-Art of Dying
-Everybody, Nobody
-Far East Man
-Run of the Mill
-Let It Down

(And maybe the last 1/3 of the album could be a Donovan Tribute, featuring Hurdy Gurdy Man, Sunshine Superman, London Town, Catch the Wind, Barabajagal, (here's where I'm realizing he should probably just do an entire separate Donovan cover album.....)  Happiness Runs, Riki Tiki Tavi, Hey Gyp (Dig the SLowness), and To Sing For You

I loooooove whatever interview it was where Jim talks about Hurdy Gurdy Man.... I believe that interview has gone missing from the interweb, as well as a video of Jim & Donovan in '04???

But there is this.....................   :D  ***Watch at 1:13 for a YY sighting!!!  And a couple more brief seconds of him appearing on-stage

Cosmically Conscious- Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, bettye Lavette, Sheryl Crow
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

pharoahmano

i just discovered this thread but becasue megaupload is shutdown i can't listen to this magical list

anyone have these i can get from them?

Matt Picasso

I have a downloadable list of everything that's not currently on an album available in print.

http://www.youaintnopicasso.com/2010/01/11/the-my-morning-jacket-covers-archive-50-covers-2/

searchinbig

Thanks for the post Matt. A few there I needed.  :thumbsup:
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

e_wind

Anything on there not on the covers comp Searchin?
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

mbb164

Started listening to this covers comp again. Anybody know if there is a full recording of the 09-29-05 show at the enterprise in London? The two songs included are fantastic recordings.

Colfax

So I'm a huge George Harrison fan and love that MMJ covers so many songs.

Can someone tell me more info on the "unreleased George Harrison album?"

Are these songs played at shows? Are there ANY available recordings?

johnnYYac

Quote from: Colfax on May 03, 2013, 07:44 PM
So I'm a huge George Harrison fan and love that MMJ covers so many songs.

Can someone tell me more info on the "unreleased George Harrison album?"

Are these songs played at shows? Are there ANY available recordings?
You are aware of Jim's solo album of George Harrison covers, recorded some time ago (2001), under the Yim Yames moniker and released in 2009?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribute_To

http://www.amazon.com/Tribute-To-Yim-Yames/dp/B002DU0R9E

http://www.emusic.com/album/yim-yames/tribute-to/11559697/

http://removador.com/jimjames
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Colfax

thanks. I'm pretty noobish in regard to this band. Is there a short history class I could take?

I heard a bit about the Yim Yames moniker for a bit, but never investigated when it happened or why.

Colfax

So on the list from the OP, it means that certain songs were recorded that night but never released on that "album"?

Also, he should've done a Wilbury song. Those are my faves.

bartel

anyone got a copy (audio or video) of JJ doing ghost of tom joad with Morello?

buymycar

Quote from: bartel on Dec 26, 2013, 05:57 PM
anyone got a copy (audio or video) of JJ doing ghost of tom joad with Morello?

There's links in this thread, thanks to johnnYYac:

http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php/topic,17359.0.html

justbcuzido

BH, is this still compiled somewhere on the interwebs?

Quote from: BH on Oct 10, 2006, 11:23 AM
Well I finally put my 4 disc set of covers together and I wanted to share with you how it turned out.  I am not sure you really care but I spent a lot of time on it and I wanted someone to see!  It took a lot of time to come up with the format and have it all work out and not miss anything etc. etc. so it could save you time if you are planning to do something similar.  Anyway, if anyone wants these pics let me know.

A couple of notes.  I left the 3 Christmas songs from the WFPK radio session off of this compilation.  I thought they went better as they were on a seperate disc with the whole session.

I also left off the following 6 songs because they are studio quality and I am going to put them on another disc that I will call "Chapter 3" along with a bunch of other B-sides and rarities that I want on one disc so I don't have to pull out my Run Thru single just to hear breathin' , etc.

*Behind That Locked Door (George Harrison) The Mother Lodge
*Blue Moon(Hart, Rogers) Louisville Lovers
*Girl From The North Country (Bob Dylan) JJ/Ward/Oberst
*Mother (Pink Floyd) Darla
*The Same In Any Language (Wilson/Crowe) Elizabethtown
*Wear Your Love Like Heaven (Donovan) Donavan Tribute

So here they are:

Disc One

Disc Two

Disc Three

Disc Four (My favorite pic)

Lettering is much sharper in the originals.  (Easier to read)

No but I can dig for it and upload sometime soon.....
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

LB

no you never gotta fight with me

phreak

Just seeing this compilation.  Looks awesome and a re-upload would be much appreciated.

sillyboob

Quote from: phreak on Jan 28, 2015, 07:53 PM
Just seeing this compilation.  Looks awesome and a re-upload would be much appreciated.

I completely agree!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

johnnYYac

This could use an update, too.  Lots of new covers since then. 

LBSUNFLWR

would love to hear this, thank you! Looks incredible.

johnnYYac

When you want something done...

I've added a few covers to the list and made a covers compilation that started with this thread a few years ago.  I didn't add cover tunes from the OBH tapings, because you should already have those.  There might be a few mistakes, and if you think there are glaring omissions, let me know.

Here is a screen shot of the folder's contents, followed by a download link (almost 1GB).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bek6842k4bib3sf/MMJ_Covers.zip