"Evil Urges" has made me a fan!!!

Started by EOTW, Apr 30, 2008, 08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOTW

I'm going to be brave here and admit I am a "noob."  For a VERY long time, friends have been trying to get me into MMJ.  I listened to some of their albums and liked bits and pieces but there was just something I wasn't getting.  It's not a big deal.  It happens.  There are LOTS of great bands I love that none of my friends dig.  People have different tastes and that's all fine and dandy and all that.

So, I DL'd "Evil Urges" after my best friend, who's a HUGE MMJ nut, was raving about.  Last Saturday, after I took a nap, I put on my ear buds and was, literally, BLOWN AWAY.

I'm not sure what it is, maybe a lot of it (to be honest) is being able to hear JJ's real voice come through.  I love the words, but the music, the different styles are what really hooked me.  this album is just a pot of different things mixing,  Yes, there is clearly an 80s funk thing going on, I get the DYlan/"Nashville Skyline" vocals, the LIps references, I can even hear "Smile" era Jayhawk harmonies on a few tracks.  Even dare I say, a Radiohead feel here and there.  All good and it is just anamazing record.

I've listened to this thing 2 or 3 times every day since, have made several ring tones for my phone.  I LOVE this record so much.

After the 10th listen, I put "At Dawn" and the demos and found I enjoyed them more.  Am I the only one that feels MMJ was made for private, headphone listening?  I can't understand anything JJ is singing when I play it in my car but the music feels VERY intimate when I am listening to it privately and it makes me pay attention, which all great music should.

Flame me if you like, but when these come anywhere near here on tour, I am there for multiple shows.  

So, thank you for this amazing album and thank you for providing a "thru" to understanding and loving the music.  Thank you for a CLASSIC album, going up there with "YHF" and "In rainbows" as one of the few truly great discs of recent years.

getinthevan

The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

bold99

I agree...I just to someone the other day this might be my favorite album since Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

BH

ohhhhh, sarcasm.   You've really been holding on to that one.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

capt. scotty

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ghosts_on_TV

Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Erik26

Which thread are you not bull shitting on?? I'm confused :-/
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

AMightyCaporal

I'm not going to respond to the original post... I'll just say, Evil Urges kicks major bootay!  I love driving with the windows down on a scorching hot day and blasting EU, Touch Me pt. 1 and 2 and Highly Suspicious
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

Erik26

I have several friends that got turned on to MMJ through Evil Urges and then worked backwards through the library. It really is a great album.
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need