The Top 13 Essential Live Albums

Started by ALady, Apr 27, 2010, 11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALady

I guess I'm kind of hyping my friend's site, but he/they put Okonokos at #5 among some pretty epic company.

http://thetop13.com/essential-live-albums-L122/

Okonokos, the first great live record of the 21st century, harkens back in many ways to the classic concert albums of the 1970s by bands such as the Allman Brothers. Coming on the heels of their commercial and critical breakthrough with studio albums It Still Moves and Z, the Louisville band showcases here what they have always done best – perform live. Sprawling but never bloated or boring, it's a perfect example of a live record done right.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

jones

Erik26

That's awesome!! Would have liked to see Pink Floyd Pulse on there as well, but the list still kicks ass.
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

FiddleCastro

Live at Leeds & Okonokos & Stop Making Sense = My 3 favs.  :) good to see 'em on the list
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

capt. scotty

Where's Stillwater?!

...I didnt realize the legacy edition of Live at Sin-e at sooo many more songs. I need to get my hands on that.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

mike

Nice top see Okonokos that high but any essential live album list not including Allman Brothers at Fillmore East pretty much has zero credibility.

Ruckus

The Roots Come Alive could use some love.  That is a sick album!
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

vespachick

Hot August Nights.  Not even joking. :-?
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

TEO

What? No Band of Gypsies or Made in Japan? Blasphemy... ;)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

mahg33ta

rincon

Opinions are just that. I think it is a good list, primarily because 3 of my favorites live albums are in the top five, MMJ, The Who, and the Stones. The great forgotten live album is, believe it or not, UFO Strangers in the Night. I do not like hair metal, or most UFO peers, but that album is something else. I bet J. James is familiar with it. A  mix of great melodies and speed demon lead guitar.

devinm

cool article. live at harlem square club, it's too late to stop now, at newport

slappymoe

still have my vinyl Live At Leeds from 40 or so years ago, complete with the various notes, contracts, etc.

and the infamous "crackling noises o.k., do not correct" on the label.

if you don't already have it, i highly recommend the 2001 "deluxe edition" cd....pretty much the entire concert, including Tommy.

and i'd like to give a shout out to Live Rust.......and what the hell, Frampton Comes Alive!

Jellyfish

Definitely Live Rust and Okonokos has got to be the best Live record I have heard in years.Frampton Comes Alive is a good live record too.It's amazing how good all those songs sound live but lack the energy and intensity on his studio albums.I gotta throw out KISS Alive,the 1st one too,I know some of you might not dig those guys but before they got so popular they were making good records.Here are some others:
Ramones : It's Alive (best pure RnR band ever!)
Allman Bros Live at the Fillmore
Jackson Browne Running on Empty
Lou Reed RnR Animal
Roger Waters In The Flesh
Grateful Dead Live Dead
The Mothers Fillmore East June 1971
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

columba78

Rust Never Sleeps by Neil Young.....

Ruckus

Rush - Different Stages
The Roots - The Roots Come Alive
Simon & Garfunkel - Concert in the Park
Miles Davis - The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

DaFunkyPrecedent

I'm more of a "soul" guy at heart than a "rock and roll guy"...here's a couple I think should be added.

The Roots - The Roots Come Alive
Sam Cooke - Live @ The Apollo
Bob Dylan - Live @ Alberta Hall
Daft Punk - Alive
Nina Simone - Live @ Newport
Sly & Family Stone - Live @ Fillmore East (late night)
God damn those shaky knees.

lazybones

Frampton Comes Alive
Live and Dangerous- Thin Lizzy
One More From the Road- Skynyrd
Europe 72- GD
Live at Folsom Prison- Cash
"There are only two kinds of songs; there's the blues, and there's zip-a-dee-doo-dah."
-Townes Van Zandt