First Stop: Nashville

Started by danilove, Apr 24, 2003, 07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danilove

WELL ? ? ?
Which of you lucky ducks made it down there? And what the hell are you waiting for? We want to hear all about it...So hurry up already!!!!  ::)

biggafunkychunkycookiescaryhairywookiemonkey

D

We made it down to N-ville.
Here's the skinny.
The boys played great... as per always.
One new song that I didn't recognize.. awesome.  Lyrics very personal and revealing w/ regard to Jim and his feelings about "success" etc.
Jim did his solo stuff and .. took a request.. "I will be there when you die".  It was beautiful.. heartbreaking... UNTIL.. some jackoff start talking shit during a quite momment in the song.. right there... so as everyone could here. It was SOOO inappropriate.. so dissapointing because the crowd was into it.. the song is beautiful and sweet and here is this drunk A hole ruining it for everyone.
Anyway.. no biggie..MMJ IS the only band in the world right now.
Peace

marktwain

Yeah, I made it down there as well.  The set was amazing.   Lots of new stuff, but I don't know the titles.(the new album will blow us all away.)  The show was well worth not getting to bed until 5:30 this morning.

The jerk who interrupted Jim's solo performance of "I will be there..."  was talking smack... told Jim the song was "a bunch of bulls--t."   I don't know if he doesn't believe in love or what.  But besides that outburst, I have never been a part of an audience so enraptured, so still and quiet, especially during a solo acoustic performance.  Jim did another solo song that I didn't recognize, but which was very beautiful.

They did quite a bit of stuff off Tennessee Fire... the Bear, the Dark, I will be there..., Evelyn, Heartbreakin' Man.

i can't wait to see them again

ycartrob

My first time to see the guys in Nashville and one of those great bands that sounds unreal on CD but even better live, a true testament to their talent. As for the guy who heckled Jim, Jim's reply on stage "Nothing like a drunk mother fucker with a loud mouth to spoil the mood for everyone" then the guy literally got pushed out of the crowd by a fan then the bouncers grabbed him and took him away while Jim blasted out "There will be bigotry..."
Jim also thanked the crowd for listening to them play rather than talking throughout the songs, apologizing if he sounded preachy but explaining how much it means to have fans who listen. No encore though, we waited 5 minutes before the lights came up, but it was 1:30 AM on a Wed... but still.
Burning Brides  R O C K     Nice to see a talented band turn it up to 11 and ROCK.

drunk_ahole

Hey, fellas. Someone emailed me this thread so I thought I'd set the story straight.

1. I waited until the song was completely finished.

2. I spoke at a normal tone directly to the fellow.

3. I said, "You really fucking suck. You look really stupid up there."

4. He said, "You wanna get up here?"

5. I said, "You want me to get up there."

6. Some sissy said, "Shut up, dickhead."

7. I pointed at the guy and said, "See? That's why you suck."

8. He and ONE other person started half-heartedly shoving me as I said, "You have to shove me all the way out the door."

9. The shoving got lighter and lighter (all the while I have hands in my pockets) until I walked out voluntarily.

10. Security, being friends of mine and noticing my being shoved with my hands in my pockets, asked if I wanted the two shovers booted. I said, "No, they all deserve each other."

So I missed what's-his-name's clever retort, because he sure didn't have much to say while a lone heckler brought his pathetic display to a grinding halt.

Not so long ago, friends, handling hecklers was a part of the job, and a man could disagree with a room full of people without being treated like a war criminal.

Do I really have to like this guy's music?

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteNot so long ago, friends, handling hecklers was a part of the job, and a man could disagree with a room full of people without being treated like a war criminal.

First off, no one should feel like they are being treated like a "war criminal" but at the same time one should recognize that causing a disruption to an event that others have paid money to see is just plain rude.  Not long ago, friend, people could go see events without the endless disruption of technology and/or the drunken antics of the people who obviously came for something better to do than watch reruns of Dragnet for a few hours.

I'm sorry you don't like their music.  It's your loss, really.

Quote6. Some sissy said, "Shut up, dickhead."

7. I pointed at the guy and said, "See? That's why you suck."

It's this kind of logic that puzzles and confounds me.  It's the performers fault that someone in the audience told you to shut up?  And, did you take such license because you "know security"?

We are all fans of the band.  Serious fans.  And we like to keep it positive around here, so let's keep the debate clean, if you choose to respond.  I can bet you that I will.

(O, Dani, and Riny:  no laughing at John!  hee hee)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

ycartrob

To the drunk a_hole >>
Let's REALLY set the story sraight:

first off, Jim was in the Middle of BeThere When You Die when you decided to join the show. I was actually waiting for my favorite line- I was born in east Kentucky-when you got tired of the show and began to rant. You ever get the idea that if 100% of the crowd around you is quiet, listening, and you feel the urge to run your mouth, then you MIGHT be at the wrong show? It's a no brainer.

So, if you first "fact" is false, I can pretty much disregard the rest of your statment (and I was standing 10 feet away from you). I find it amusing that you feel like you have to defend your actions on the MMJ web site. It's just music dude, don't take it personally. But try to show others respect by staying quiet or leaving or perhaps an AA meeting. I hear Molly Hatchett is coming to Clarksville this summer, see you there and shhhhhh!!   :-*

drunk_ahole

1. I swear I really think he was finished with the song.

2. You don't have to be drunk to be an asshole. I hadn't had a drink in hours and had in fact driven a drunk friend home before this.

3. Security did their job. I AM allowed to heckle; audience members are NOT allowed to shove people. It would have been lawful for me to punch the Dickhead Caller in the nose after he began shoving me.

All I did was dislike 1 out of a 1000 shows I've seen and call it like I see it:

1. Bullshit
2. Stupid-looking

I don't like people that take guitars to parties, either. If you people can not accept this, I am sorry for you. I think my understanding of Western music is as good as anyone else's.

I will not apologize for fucking up the Grateful Dead-like fan worship indie vibe in a Nashville nightclub.

Responses will only merit even more responses from me and unless you want some jerk posting negativity about your beloved, please leave it alone. I wish MMJ the best of luck, truly.

drunk_ahole

One more thing:

I see your point, really. And whoever mentioned the endless interruptions of technology was spot-on, too.

ycartrob

Simple question: What do people do when a song is over? Sit there quietly, making it possible for one drunk person to be heard in a crowd of 100's of people? No. People clap and cheer at the end of a song (sometimes BEFORE the song is over). I have heard the song Jim was playing about 172 times and was waiting to see him sing my favorite line LIVE for the first time, that's when you spokoe up. This is what happened, 100%. I did not drink anything that night, and your Grateful Dead jabs seems like sour grapes to me (I have never seen the Dead or claim them as my favorite). You seem to have some other issues here but the bottom line is, there are hundreds of bands to like or hate; don't take it personally or feel like you need to point out "bad" music to people, that's not your job b/c you do not know what moves people. It's about respect and restraint. And it's about your other issues that make you feel like it's your "job" to give your opinion about music. Look Pal, once you get past Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, etc... it's ALL CRAP. It's just music, so deal with that huge chip on your shoulder and good luck. Don't be so bitter towards people, we are laughing at you! :'(

jezebel

I'm sorry....what?? I'm having trouble believing someone would actually attempt to mount a logical defense for such behavior.

What is it that would compel you to verbally assault someone on stage in the midst of a performance? Is it an overwhelming sense of self-importance, a complete lack of respect or consideration for anyone, or merely a dire, childish ploy for attention? I am well aware of the implications of the freedom of speech, and certainly you're entitled to your opinion--just as the rest of the world is entitled to a little courtesy. Your defense is inane, irrational, and ridiculous. Do you stand up in the middle of a crap movie and announce your displeasure with the "bullshit"? Do you go to plays and interrupt the actors in the middle of a scene to share your criticism because you think they're "stupid looking"? It's a show, not a Lakers game.

If you had such a pressing need to validate yourself by stating your opinion (oh so well-spoken, i might add), why not address jim after the show? If you didn't want to sit through the set, why not send an email or post to the board? If you truly just felt the need to share your opinion as you suggest, any of those options should have suited your needs--so give up the self-righteous First Amendment defense and trying to make yourself look oppressed. An attentive audience is not a bunch of fascists; rather, you are quite obviously one of those small-minded people who has to get their kicks from public harrassment and pissing people off.

Take ten seconds (or longer, as your processes seem to be impaired when it comes to common sense and social awareness) and try to think outside your precious little realm for once. Obviously your comment "directly to the fellow" was heard by a number of people; in essence, you have impinged upon their right to enjoy the show and, yes, the mood. Regardless, if you had gotten your desired result with a direct hit, then perhaps the performer (and thus the show) would have been negatively effected--again encroaching upon hundreds of other people's rights. (fortunately jim is far beyond this type of bullshit, and only addressed it to ameliorate the tensions in the crowd.) Evidently, though, you're the type of person who lacks basic consideration and respect for others and believes that your personal whims and desires trump those of every other living being. Sorry your parents never broke the news--the world ain't turnin' on your personal axis, son. Get some class...or at least stay home.

drunk_ahole

I never said anything about the First Amendment. You've spent too much time on this.

Here's the deal:

1. I chose the ID drunk_ahole.

2. I often exhibit antisocial behavior.

3. Evidently, I'm the type of person who lacks basic consideration and respect for others and believes that my personal whims and desires trump those of every other living being. Sorry my parents never broke the news--the world ain't turnin' on my personal axis, son.

4. Like I said, I just came here to set the facts straight (as I recall). Do I really need to mount a grandiose argument when all I really want to say is, "You really fucking suck."

He really fucking sucks.

While I am still here, I retract all defense of my actions. I agree that they are crude and antisocial, but at that time I didn't care, and I still don't. The world continues to turn on its very own axis, and you still have your morning jacket.

Bye bye 4-ever!

hipkink

Jeez! I was gone for awhile, and look what I miss! I guess all we can do is feel sorry for the drunk a-hole. To Mr. Conaway and Jezebel - Well said, indeed. I can't understand why people like this don't simply LEAVE! I have been to shows that I've disliked, and I've left. Didn't drunk a-hole ever watch Bambi? "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." The guy obviously thrives on confrontation, or he wouldn't have made his small-minded rebuttal HERE! And Jim shouldn't have to deal with hecklers! That's NOT his job!!! His job is to play music with his buddies, to people who love and appreciate it. It's supposed to be fun, not rife with conflict! And who ended up looking stupid? To hundreds of people - it certainly wasn't Jim... Drunk a-hole's posts have only solidified his place amongst the a-hole's. Too bad for him - i hear it's lonely there...and stinky.    
You came around when I needed you, now I'm up to my neck in you.

CC

i think this is a good moment to stop this discussion before it goes on and on and on...

ahhh, always feel good after some good cleanin!