LA: Troubadour 5.29.03

Started by jezebel, May 23, 2003, 10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jezebel

A little preview press from _LA Weekly_:
 http://www.laweekly.com/calendar/picks/scoring.php#thursday

My Morning Jacket at the Troubadour.

Honesty-starved music fans rave about My Morning Jacket's The Tennessee Fire and At Dawn. With good reason, too: Both are platters of eerie mountaintop roots and from-the-grave balladry. And though they sound nothing like Black Keys or the White Stripes, MMJ have a similar M.O. — jettisoning all the baggage that comes with a scene and getting to the essence of a good song. It wasn't until last year's Chocolate & Ice EP that you saw them start to dip their toes into a spiritualized open-endedness and "wall of sound"–level density. At the moment, the Louisville fivesome are still polishing the upcoming It Still Moves — on Dave Matthews' ATO label — in the rural Kentucky barn of singer Jim James' uncle (hey, milieu is everything with a group like this), and it promises to be more lush, orchestrated and explosively live-sounding than anything thus far. Prepare to recalibrate your musical standards. (Andrew Lentz)

killdozer

wow.  Finally got to see the jacket and my superhigh expectations were definitely met!  The setlist seemed to be along the lines of other shows on the tour, so I can't say that there were any huge surprises - if so, they went right over my head.  Job well done, boys, and thanks for finally treating LA to a headlining show!!!

Who's got some pix?  

:o :o :o :o ;D

CC

Quotewow.
Who's got some pix?  

will have some online tomorrow

just added some from the seattle show

CC

troubadour pix are online

hipkink

My Friend and I listened to Harry Nilsson on the way down to the show and then Jim covered Everybody's Talkin'. Unreal. That's all I can really say. But hey - It was great to meet you Dani and Jezebel! Man! Ang and I thought WE came far! You two rule! ;)
You came around when I needed you, now I'm up to my neck in you.

killdozer

as mayor of the altered state of Drugachussetts, I declare those pictures to be ... AWESOME!!!!

(have any more?)

peanut butter puddin surprise

Dani on the road?  Are you kidding??  ;)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

CC

Quoteas mayor of the altered state of Drugachussetts, I declare those pictures to be ... AWESOME!!!!

(have any more?)

Yeah, there's 2 or 3 more but these photos have chocolate fingerprints all over them!

jezebel

hmmmm...chocolate fingerprints? i wonder how those got there... ;)

hipkink~~~it was great to meet you all...wish we had known who you were at the LA show & we would have had more time to hang out! (danilove & i had quite the day at ocean beach between shows!) yeah, we like planning our vacations around worthy events (and the floors we can crash on)...wish field day or bonnaroo was in the cards! we promise to host you all if you ever decide to come thisaway (vacationing or on tour ;))

sorry for all of you that missed the show...it was *beyond* fabulous!!!

hipkink

Well you guys have two floors you can crash on up in Sacramento! We might even be able to spare a blanket or two for you. You and Dani are welcome here anytime! As for the rest of ya's... we'll see... we'll see. As if anyone would want to come to Sacramento anyway... :-/  

danilove

You never know...Some of us are borderline nuts and/or adventurous...Hey Mr. Baxter, it may be a good idea to have some sort of  disclaimer about that on the boards...Eh?  ::)
biggafunkychunkycookiescaryhairywookiemonkey

jezebel

...or maybe we should just put ourselves on a big world map so we know who to crash with on our meandering paths. Color coded:

yellow: "Welcome! My place sleeps 1-4...if you don't mind floor/lumpy-futon-induced back pain and cold showers!"

blue: "Come on over! My place can take 4-8. Hope you enjoy sleeping like sardines!"

purple: "I've got a huge pad! My place sleeps 8-10. AND i have more than one bathroom..."

green: "I've got land! Everyone's invited! Field party!"

red: "Get the hell off my lawn!"

peanut butter puddin surprise

oh crap...that makes my place yellow and or green.  but no cold showers...I've got one of those old fashioned hot water heaters that has like 1000 gallons of hot water in it.

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

hipkink

Between Angie and me, mark Sacramento as purple! As for the borderline nuts/adventurous, we crossed that border years ago. But only recently perfected the accent of the sane-o's that we live amongst. :D