MMJ Mean Fiddler Show

Started by csbx, Aug 18, 2003, 03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csbx

Did any London people manage to swing tickets to this bbc radio thing with the Foo Fighters? I've been trying to win tickets all week and have so far missed out. I cannot believe the boys are playing a show in London and I'm not going to get in! :(

Zmog1974

Dont despair...they are playing the Mean Fiddler in November...the 20th..tickets are available @ Wayahead..ive got mine in the bag. Only 5 more days til Reading & 2 and a half more weeks until i see them at the Bowery in New York...Im getting sooo excited...Hope u get your tickets and have Fun..Icant wait to hear One Big Holiday live again.

csbx

Fantastic.

It will be like an anniversary show for when I first saw them at the Monarch in Camden last year. Either way, I'm going to swing by the Mean Fiddler during lunch tomorrow and see if I can find one of the boys and talk'em into letting me watch the show.

CC

from Dotmusic:

"I can honestly say that it's ten years since I've seen a band that makes me feel so good," Dave Grohl said recently, and watching My Morning Jacket you can see what he means. There is something almost unbearably romantic about the way this five-piece from Louisville, Kentucky, reiterate the basic values of rock'n'roll.

Although they only play for half an hour tonight, My Morning Jacket are quite overwhelming. Neil Young's most intense periods with Crazy Horse are an obvious reference point. But plenty here - the elegaic 'Steam Engine', in particular - sees singer Jim James take the intimacies of lo-fi bands like Galaxie 500 then embroider them with gnarled, expansive Southern rock reminiscent of Lynyrd Skynrd.

A weird mix, perhaps, but utterly compelling in practice - not least because the spectacle of My Morning Jacket is so enjoyable, too: a precision freak-out involving yeti-length hair, flying Vs, clenched fists and, fantastically, a Bonham-style drum solo at the end of the first song.

full article at:

http://www.dotmusic.com/reviews/Live/August2003/reviews30568.asp

otter

After having read your post, I remembered saying in a post months ago,

"I'm 32 and have been a music lover for all but the first few years....and bands like this only happen about once every ten years (maybe twenty). Whether we all like it or not, the ball has begun rolling..and I don't think anything can or would dare try to stop it. We just have to trust them to know what's in their best interest."

I'm not Dave Grohl....but he's not the only one that feels that way. I know most of us who are here regularly...feel similarly.