MMJ allow audio taping?

Started by stejampzy, Sep 19, 2003, 09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stejampzy

Anyone know if they have a policy one way or the other? I'm hoping to catch the show in Minneapolis and love to record them if it's cool.

Steve

taper smurf

they don't have an official policy in writing anywhere that I know of... but the band is certainly OK with fans recording their shows...  Jim once told me that he is all for fans recording shows, and that he thinks it is a great way for a band's legacy to live on after they're gone... (i'm paraphrasing)...

as long as it is for personal use... trade only... no selling of recordings... the usual disclaimers... then the band does not have a problem with it...

use of mic stands is really venue dependent... some places you might have to stealth...

i would avoid soundboard patches... audience recordings are the way to go... i don't think the recording would sound as good without Jim's voice "filling the room"

cll

so i take it that it is basically up to the venue?

will anyone in the crew/sound folks help in terms of letting equipment in?  

igor

it's really important for the band to put their live audio taping policy in writing, especially now that they are gaining more audience, and are headlining shows. it makes it easier for tapers and traders alike. most venues go by what the band's policy is, so it would be nice if the band notifies the venue of their taping policy.

just my $0.02.

otter

No kidding. There's nothing worse than the band not caring about taping and some door person says "nope it's policy" we hope that doesn't happen.

Fatah Ruark

If you have trouble getting your equipment in ask for the tour manager. She is really nice. Sorry I forgot her name.

Don't forget to get there early. She may be busy closer to show time.

I'll be taping Denver in a few weeks! Bluebird Theater sounds fantastic too.

MIKE B

taper smurf

perhaps Riny could nudge them in the direction of coming up with an official taping policy... similar to the one that Wilco has one on their website...

it basically just says that Wilco allows audience recordings of their shows.

their soundguy is VERY good about informing venues about it.

plank10

The tour manager's name is Linda

Larry

If MMJ is cool with trading maybe someone could post some shows to furthernet.com so we could check out the tapes?

peanut butter puddin surprise

Hey, there's like 20 or so shows on my FTP server...drop me a line sometime and I'll hook ya up.

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there