Nashville Show

Started by ycartrob, Jun 21, 2004, 12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

Just back from the show. Saw MMJ 4x in past year and this show was the best (and the other 3 kicked ass). The energy was great. Jim played Nashville to Kentucky on his solo spot. Cobra was excellent. Jim clued us in to the subliminal messages they were conveying in their new song. Shout out to the boys from Fayeteville Arkansas up in the front. Thanks for bringing it and making it real. Hope you made it back safely. I turned 3 people on to their first MMJ show and they all loved it. MMJ has created their own level of rock and I can't wait to see what happens next. See ya next time!

sweatboard

I'll give the set list a shot, I've got a copy off the stage thanks to the generous couple beside me.  The band changed things up from the original set list they wrote, so I'll try and remember the changes. I think what happened was one of the band members got sick at the end of the first set, so Jim came back out and did a little solo acoustic set that probably wasn't originally planned.

I think I'm missing one or two. Please correct me if you can.

Golden
Just One Reason
It Beats For You
Lowdown
The Way He Sings
Strangulation
One Big Holliday
I Will Sing You Songs
Dance Floors
Cobra (A couple sections of it)
Mahgeeta
encore
The Bear(solo acoustic)
Bermuda Highway (solo acoustic)
Nashville to Kentucky (solo acoustic)
Run Thru
(I feel like they played I Needed It Most at some point but I could be wrong)

Highlights For Me

-Being there with the person I love the most in the world
-Meeting some really nice cool people
-Seeing the opening acts. (I really enjoyed both)
-Being overwhelmed by the sights, sounds, and feelings that come with seeing My Morning Jacket from the first row in a really small venue.I've never really fully experienced that kind of energy from a live rock show before (I knew it was possible) but last night, I EXPERIENCED IT IN THE FLESH. It was hot, sweaty, happy, and Beautiful. Litteraly One Of The Best experiences of my life. ;D
-During the Jam In Mahgeeta everyone around me caught fire and we were all dancing uncontrolably. It felt like things were moving in slow motion for a second, all our body parts were bouncing off each other, the hair flying through the air, the smiles, and jumping. Then I bumped a girl that wasn't quite that into it, she gave me a dirty look and things returned to normal speed. Thats ok though I appoligized and went on with having my good time.
- At one point I had my head down jamming with the music and I felt something wet on my hand...it was Jims bare foot, I looked up and I was Inside His Hair, the fretboard was touching me and it was like he was playing just for me.
-Kissing My Wife during the lines "Just to wake up alive and by your side"
-The Bear.........(Everyone up front made it perfectly clear they could see the set list before the show, but I refused to look because I like the suprise, Knowing how I was dying to hear the Bear my wife mentioned there was one on there about an animal......I just grined) sure enough first song after the encore Jim played it solo and everybody up front sang along It was beautiful then Jim played the drum beat on his guitar which was cool.
-Bermuda Highway.........Everyone singing "don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall" :D
-Jim mentions that he's going to play a song that he hasn't done in a while, so I yell out "By My Car" he looks at me smiles and says no not that one, he goes on to say that this song is appropriate for tonight and goes on to play the most beautiful version of "Nashville to Kentucky" Just him and his acoustic, which I thought sounded better than the album version.
-Jim had on a T-Shirt that read "Someone IN Birmingham Loves Me" That made me smile.
-The Band Comes back out and almost blows the roof off the mother with Run Thru and leaves the stage to a couple hundred screaming sweaty fans.
-I had a sign requesting Phone Went West which I layed at Jim's feet during the encore, he picked it up and moved it, they never played it but thats ok bands have different reasons for not playing certin songs at certin times. Plus I couldn't really ask for anything more.
-The girls beside me had a sign that said "Y'all Rock" Which I thought was really sweet and cool and the band smiled when they came out onto the stage and saw it.
-The couple next to my wife and I were really cool, I saw them at the Atlanta show, Each one of them got a set list so they gave me one, And THAt Is AWesome, Thanks Guys, I got one of the roadies to hand me a pick that was laying near Jims mic stand, So I'm just going to assume it belonged to him, mabey some of his genius will run through it when I use it on my own guitar, which remindes me I was going to go play Bermuda Highway on my guitar with Jim's pick after I wrote this......so take care y'all, I took a shit load of digital pictures while I was ther and some are pretty cool if you want them contact me and I'll send them to you. Oh, does anyone know if this show was taped?
-And all those other moments that there just aren't any words for

There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

The Show is up on btree. I don't deserve all the good things that have happened to me this week.

J

Amazing show.  I talked to Carl after the show, and he said that he really felt like the new line-up was gelling, that Bonnaroo was a magical thing what with the rain coming down during STEAM ENGINE and what not, and that they discussed playing STEAM ENGINE last night but just weren't up for it.  Not that I'm complaining ... amazing set, the acoustic section being a special treat.  They are the kings.

bigeazyfish

Sweatboard,  its really awesome to see ya post such an amazing message.  i was the beside ya most of the night singing into the jim-james-aura-filled air (OCC trucker hat).  its really cool to share such experiences with fans like yourself.  yes, bermuda highway was intoxicating.  yes, nashville to kentucky was significantly unique.  and yes, the somewhat bizzare actions by some people pissed me off, but it made the show even that much more memorable (i'm of course referring to the drunk guy yelling "Rock and Roll is A L I V E!!!"  Ha-ha.  but that's all good.  he had a good time so good for him.  and how about getting to share a headbang with jim james?  amazing.  it may be downhill from here...haha.  and i'm very interested in seeing the pics you took.  email?

anyhoo.  keep rockin.

sweatboard

Rock N' Roll is Alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
haha
Yeah, it was a beautiful night. I remeber you well, we shared a couple moments I think. It was good to see happy smiling faces around me. I'm also afraid it may be downhill from here as far as the intimacy of the live show, but I look forward to hearing many more songs for many more years to come. ;D Long Live Rock N' Roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, The E-mail will be on the way sometime tomorrow.

Brian

bigeazyfish

awesome man.  you're a life saver.  unfortunately all i had to take pics was my phone.  and i don't have the software as of yet to put them on my system.  my email is eazyfasheazy@hotmail.com  by the way.  you can download the show from sharingthegroove.com also.  i think its a link to btree.  i'm at 47%...needing a boost.

thanks again.

sweatboard

Yeah I'm at 96% and I'm not going to bed until this sucker is downloaded, burned, and in my player. Then I'm going to lay back and take it all in again. But I'll for sure be leaving my window open until at least tomorrow night. As for the bonnaroo show, I haven't seen it anywhere....Yet. I know it's out there though.

ycartrob

I was right to the side of you guys (in front of Jim's mike). I liked the "bizarre" enery the "ROCK AND ROLL" guy brought, but one of his buddies did something that drunk people do. Jim starts in to "Nashville to Kentucky" and this guy gets on his cell phone, with his drunk voice, yelling, "Can you hear it maaan? He's playing "nashville to Kentucky!" and he's like, the ONLY person talking within a 30 foot radius, but he is Y E L L I N G on a C E L L P H O N E. I actually put my hand on the guy and told him to shut it, along with a guy behind him, but he was oblivious. The puzzling thing is the guy is a huge fan, but in his over zealous inhibriation, he just about ruined a very, very, VERY quiet moment at the Exit In. Anyways, think before you drink folks, and you can leave your cell phone in the car for a couple of hours. It's OK.

corey

I have to agree that it was a fantastic night. It was my first live MMJ experience and I couldn't have asked for a better show.
I was ready to see Bare Jr and MMJ, so I was a little pissed that someone else was going to be doing some sort of karaoke before the show. To my surprise, the guy was very entertaining. I don't remember his name, but I dug his set. Funny stuff...
Bare Jr was great, but the only stuff of his that I know is from "Boo-tay" and "Brainwasher" and he didn't play any of it. I loved the "meet me in Nashville" song, though. Good stuff.
What else is there to say about MMJ? I think most of you have summed it up pretty well. I was kind of afraid of how it was going to sound because I expected Bare Jr to be louder, but they didn't have him up very loud. His vocals were kind of muffled and I was afraid that they wouldn't have the sound right for MMJ. I was wrong. It was PERFECT.
I thought "Golden" made for a great opener, BTW.
I wasn't too far behind you guys. I was about 10 feet back, I guess. I was directly behind you because I saw you hold up the sign.
I was happy to see that Nick was going to be taping the show. He has taped some of the Drive-By Truckers show that I have been to in Nashville.
I saw several people with cameras and I would love to see some of the pics when they are posted on the site.
I can't wait for them to hit the road again. I need to see them with my friend that got their CDs for me. He hasn't seen them yet, so I feel kind of guilty that I got to experience the rock and he hasn't yet.

corey

Someone posted a correct setlist on the BT site.

Disc 1
1. Golden
2. Just One Thing
3. It Beats For You
4. Lowdown
5. The Way That He Sings
6. Strangulation
7. One Big Holiday
8. I Will Sing You Songs
9. Dancefloors
10. Cobra
11. Mahgeeta
12. -fade out track

Disc 2
1. -fade in track-
2. The Bear*
3. Bermuda Highway*
4. Nashville To Kentucky*
5. Run Thru

*Jim James Solo Acoustic

Who did Jim say was outside throwing up when he started the solo songs? I don't remember. Anyway, if they were sick, they sure weren't showing it when they came back on stage.

bigeazyfish

The solo guy with the cassette player backing him (which was hilarious) is Tom Heinl.  He is a very funny guy with a very distinct voice.  I actually heard him the night before, Saturday.  The Decemberists brought him out and he sang "3 Way", which is hilarious.  Of course, I had never heard of him before though.  If you wanna check some of his stuff out, here are a couple links:

http://www.leisureking.com/tomheinl.htm
http://www.tomheinl.com/pages/mp3.html

biggerrooty

Hello everyone --

I was one half of the couple next to you (the guy).  The person throwing up was Patrick.  He told me that he drank 12 bottles of water between leaving the stage and packing up (about 30 minutes).  

ycartrob -- email me at bigger_rooty@yahoo.com i wanna get those pics from you.  nice to meet some other nice folks.  ATL was the shit, but nashville was as mindfuck.  I talked to the guy taping the show, i can get you a hard copy if you want.  thanks a lot.

biggerrooty

my bad --

that message was directed to sweatboard, not ycartrob.  sorry

sweatboard

I tried to send the pictures to everyone that asked for them, if you didn't get them or you want to see my picture of a brautwurst that looks exactly like a thumb just let me know.

Tameegee

I gotta drop a line or twelve about the show in Nashville, as well.  I stood in the back with the tapers, but thought the show was excellent!!

Still recovering from the show and the trip to
Nashville on Sat/Sun/Mon, but also still smiling :)  

This was my first MMJ show and first time seeing Bobby
Bare Jr.  I'd never heard a thing by BBJ and was actually
impressed with his set.  He has a great stage presence
and knows how to rock!  The venue (Exit/In) had great
acoustics though I didn't hear all the words to BBJ's
songs as the crowd chatter was huge.  

MMJ came out and brought the house down!  What a rush
it was to see the boys playing like there was no
tomorrow!  The music was pure rock'n'roll and the guys
were full of energy.  Every song brought yells and
screams and the entire audience was intoxicated with
the band.  The crowd consisted mostly of fairly young
20 and 30-somethings.  It was great to see how MMJ's
fan base has expanded.

My favs HAD to be One Big Holiday, The Way That He
Sings, Cobra (excellent!), and of course my top MMJ
songs - I Will Sing You Songs and The Bear.  We got
Bermuda Highway as well, which was, well, just
awesome!!!  What a show!!!! ;D ;D

tameegee in sc

DrHorneaux

Nashville was my first MMJ concert and somehow they managed to further ingrain themselves in my subconscious.  I've got it bad, people, I can barely listen to anything else and it's already been this way for almost a year.  I can't really say which songs I was most happy about but I was happily surprised to hear "Cobra."  Anyone have the lyrics for it by the way?  Mr. James?

My only regret is that I didn't get to talk more to the beautiful brunette picture taking girl from Memphis who was in front of me first during the show and then at the t-shirt line.  I'd love to see some of the pics from that show if you happen to stumble across this post.  (I hope you found the perfect t-shirt by the way.)  Actually I do have one more regret - I just missed getting thrashed by JJ's hair.  

I was also pleasantly surprised to see all the Bowling Green people there.  Seeing all you there made it all the more serendipitous.  Oh, and dude from Louisville (forgot your name, man) who teaches kids about horse racing – I meant to get your info.  Next time you come through Bowling Green, you've got to meet the guy we were telling you about – I swear you could be his brother.  My buddy and I both appreciate the excellent conversation before the show and I offer my apologies if you've now become a Shiner Bock addict.  

MMJ, you guys kicked ass.  Good luck working on the new music and hurry up and get back to Nashville or Louisville.

Tameegee

:D  HA!  I saw you crazies up front!  
Lucky duckies, got to bathe in Jim's hair and be so close.  I saw the signs and the camera cell phone held high in the air.  This was my best concert EVER!  And I've seen quite a few in my 32 years.  I want more!  I hear MMJ is playing the Austin City Limits Fest this year.  I'm thinking of trying to arrange that.  Good times!!!

Anybody else think Tom Heinl had a "johnny cash" sound to his voice?
tameegee in sc

bigger_rooty

Yeah, Heinl definitely resembled Cash in voice.  Not in anything else, but in singing voice.  Strange fucking guy.  We were against the stage on Jim's side, and you could see Tom's hands shaking like crazy.  Weird.
from this town, we'd escape
if we holler loud and make our way
we'd all live one big holiday.

DrHorneaux

The sign and phone people were close to my right.  I never did catch what the sign said.  If you find out more on the Austin City Limits, please post it - that sounds great.  I was the awkward white guy who couldn't dance but tried to anyway - hell, I couldn't help it.