MMJ GO UNDER THE SEA FOR A 2 NIGHT PROM IN ATHENS!

Started by admin, Feb 19, 2007, 01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ms. yvon

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jun 02, 2016, 06:07 PM
you mean the SLC Depot 2007 show, ms. yvon?? I LOVE that recording. They Ran on that is magical. the 40 watt shows blew my mind when I first heard them and they still do...what an elegant, stoned out bunch of rock and roll shows. Hilarious from the Dumb and Dumber suits all down to Jim's plastic fake greaser hair....weird..
yep!  that run of winter 2006-2007 shows they played a lot from tennessee fire.  they ran was in heavy rotation and i loved it!   those were also the hey-day for the giant jam at the end of lay low.  *sigh*
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

ms. yvon

"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ms. yvon

thanks, john!  there is a bit from night one that kills me, "jim had a pink inflatable dolphin attached to his guitar"  wut?  :grin:

Lonndown27

Quote from: ms. yvon on Mar 16, 2017, 07:28 PM
thanks, john!  there is a bit from night one that kills me, "jim had a pink inflatable dolphin attached to his guitar"  wut?  :grin:

hahahahahahah LOVE these shows, especially The Dells cover, Bo and Carl are literally mercurial on backing vocal duty during that song, especially when Jim cranks it to the "thaaaaats whhyyyyyyyyyyy I love you soooo" they're all just soaring.

What this band does vocally is so underrated in the music world.
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

easy way

"Chuck! Chuck, it's Marvin. Your cousin, Marvin Berry. You know that new sound you're looking for? Well, listen to this!"
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

Nikkogino

Nugs doesn't have the encore for night 1.  Wtf

Lonndown27

really??? after all this time these shows get released and no encore? why?? weird...
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

tmz

I asked the folks at nugs about the missing encore (only night 1 is missing the entire encore, btw).  Their reply was:

QuoteWe heard back from the band and unfortunately the audio from the encore for that show is not available.
We are adding notes to the show page to reflect this.

(that's from https://forum.mymorningjacket.net/index.php?msg=401022)

So we'll just have to make do with all the other new shows they recently posted, and The Waterfall II.  It's a real rough time. :wink:

Lonndown27

Quote from: tmz on Jul 30, 2020, 11:07 PMI asked the folks at nugs about the missing encore (only night 1 is missing the entire encore, btw).  Their reply was:

QuoteWe heard back from the band and unfortunately the audio from the encore for that show is not available.
We are adding notes to the show page to reflect this.

(that's from https://forum.mymorningjacket.net/index.php?msg=401022)

So we'll just have to make do with all the other new shows they recently posted, and The Waterfall II.  It's a real rough time. :wink:

ahaha weird well i bet the recorder got shut off or something hilarious like that but who cares we already have the audience, we love these shows as long as they had Oh What a Night that Dells opener I AM GOOD and they DO and SOUNDS UNREAL.
These shows are so beautiful...so glad they put them out. This is a summer of hell for our world, but the band has tried to help the fans get through the day x1,000,000 this has been unrivaled and unbelievable. THANK YOU MMJ!

APR

Nugs is offering one year of streaming for $30.  The deal expires on 11/8.  I haven't listened to these shows yet but will soon.  The video from the last three streams (Shaky Knees, Forecastle, and Red Rocks night 1 2019) are also up for viewing. 

vespachick

Quote from: ms. yvon on Mar 07, 2007, 02:18 AMhello!
sorry got distracted when i found out "the jerk" is on cable...have now realized that late night comedy central also means lots of ads for 1-900 numbers.  oy.  full disclosure:  the show ended at about 1:30 am and i'm pretty tuckered, so this will be brief.
before the show actually got to meet some of the forum peeps!  rccola, kory, dennis and ...oh...man, i've forgotten his name!  i only spent the whole night standing next to him.  lame.

in the interest of getting this out there: 
the opening band was Follow the Train.  props to these 6 guys for taking the stage decked out in sea creature costumes!  my favorite had to be the enormous starfish, followed closely by the lobster head on the drummer.

after Follow...the lights went down and the band came on...each of them sporting a tux of a different color and enormous silver plastic pompadours.   8-)
carl--orange
tt-tom--lt. blue
pat--red
bo--orange w/a top hat, no helmet hair.  :)
jim--pink

the SET LIST!
-Oh What a Night!  w/carl sax solo
-wordless chorus
-gideon
-way he sings
-wonderful man
-banter: "we're gonna play the first all-skate of the evening.  everybody skate."
-golden--some feedback at the top of the song, which had tt-t and carl making some funny "booop" faces at each other
-it beats 4 u
-off the record--out. of.  control.  also jim had a 2 ft. inflated pink dolphin attached to the end of his guitar thru a good portion of this song.
-laylow
-banter: "another all skate"
-cobra--YOW.  cannot get enough of this tune!  during the instrumental break of the vocal section, carl was swaying back and forth and jim was shaking his head.  at some point in the song jim got ahold of a rubber lobster and was petting it during the song.
-dondante--gorgeous!  it still kills me the amount of chatter and noise during this song at every show.  sigh.  then they just RIPPED into:
-one big holiday
-banter:  jim greeted the Class of 2007, thanked us all for celebrating prom with the band and crew.  he described the 40 Watt as the "most magical cube in the universe."
-run thru--bad.  ass.
-they ran--love this song.  period. 

break
--band crowns the prom king and queen, and plays the song for their dance:
-wonderful tonight (with amended lyrics to follow...  ;) )**  at this point, monitor dave was sporting one of the pompadour helmets.
-dancing in the moonlight (!)--"you can't dance and stay uptight!"
-steam engine--TAKE YOUR MONEY AND YOUR DRUUUUUUUGS!
-mahgeeta
-anytime--blow out.  hot damn!

mmj's lyrics to "wonderful tonight" go something like this...

i put on your makeup
and your beautiful bra
slip on your panties
start on your tights
and you say
i look wonderful tonight...

at one point i noticed carl singing along the line "beautiful bra."  outstanding   ;D

GREAT SHOW!  i was standing in front of carl and his monitor was a little loud BUT it meant that i got to hear all of the amazing stuff he was doing.  in dondante he is playing these subltle, short notes...fucking gorgeous.

Good Ol' Ms. Y, leaving no stone unturned and no Yow un-Yowed.  What a timewarp.
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked