Coachella 2008?

Started by vacuuMan, Jan 16, 2008, 06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

...vacuuman...

http://productshopnyc.com/htdocs/2008/01/my_morning_jacket_radio_city_c.html

anyone have any more info on the boys at coachella?  Outdoor stage, 5 pm??  Let's do this!!

(oh, and i guess it says they're confirmed for 'roo, too.  but that was a given)
$240 worth of puddin'

Angry Ewok

Quote(oh, and i guess it says they're confirmed for 'roo, too.  but that was a given)

I heard that last year.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

DaFunkyPrecedent

the need to get them with a light show...it just wouldn't be fair otherwise...
God damn those shaky knees.

buaawwww

From www.pollstar.com...

News ...

Coachella announces line up today, but names of some bands and artists, like The Raconteurs, The Verve, My Morning Jacket and Rilo Kiley, have already leaked - Los Angeles Times (registration may be required)

...vacuuman...

suh-weet.  i know i'll be there one day, at least...

$240 worth of puddin'

Reverend ToneZone

If My Morning Jacket and Roger Waters are scheduled in the same time slot I will seriously go insane!!   :o
None of this is physical . . . at least not to me.

...vacuuman...

It had better be MMJ on main stage before Waters.  That would be the right move, though then they might not be able to set up the stage the way they wanted.  Let's hope Goldenvoice doesn't screw that up in a reprise of Wilco vs. MMJ from ACL.  

And what about JJ on vocals on "Breathe"?  Sick.
$240 worth of puddin'

ChiefOKONO

since Waters is the main performer on that day, i don't think anyone would conflict with him..
that could be cool.. MMJ then Waters!

BH

Essentially my two favorite bands back to back.  Wow.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

mjkoehler

Fuck me, that is an awesome line up.

buaawwww

Great lineup, but not sure how I feel about Jack Johnson as the final headliner... over the Verve or Raconteurs?  He'll be blown off the stage!

Penny Lane

the verve are my favorite band of all time----in no way should JJ be upstaging them--especially after they just got back together. great festival lineup--fingers crossed that it's simiar to bonnaroo cuz i can't travel to the west coast this summer. (boo)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

...vacuuman...

jack johnson playing the last nighttime set on the main stage is just a crap idea, and his headlining coachella isn't the best match in the first place.  I'm sure he'll bring out plenty of guests (ben harper etc.), but still... where's radiohead?

my hunch is that they'll add another big name to friday and sat, since i don't think they'll sell out otherwise.

$240 worth of puddin'

The Big Come Up

I like Jack Johnson..... :-/

I don't think this lineup is too bad. I think ACL, Bonnaroo, and Lolla will all have overall stronger rosters, but that doesn't mean Coachella's is weak by any means. Jack is pretty good, and friday still has The Raconteurs, The Verve, The National, and Animal Collective. I think all together the lineup would have a great boost with another headliner on Saturday (Radiohead???), because I mean Portishead is allright, but as one of the main three headliners at a big US concert fest? seems strange. Roger Waters and MMJ are perfect for closing out the festival.

buaawwww

I'm not trying to bash Jack Johnson or anything, I think he is pretty good.  But how can you put him as the final headliner after what will probably be PUMPED up sets by the Verve and Raconteurs?  I don't know... I think he'd be better suited in an earlier slot, maybe at sunset or something like that.

But a double whammy to close out the show with MMJ AND ROGER WATERS?!?  That's just amazing.

Bam_Bam

God the Black Lips, MMJ and Animal Collective...that's f*cking shwett. my dad got me frequent flyer miles for christmas so maybe i'll go see this...has anyone been to Coachella? i've only been to bonnaroo.
[url="//www.myspace.com/wearemurals"]www.myspace.com/wearemurals[/url]

...vacuuman...

QuoteGod the Black Lips, MMJ and Animal Collective...that's f*cking shwett. my dad got me frequent flyer miles for christmas so maybe i'll go see this...has anyone been to Coachella? i've only been to bonnaroo.

Yea, been to Coachella the past 2 years (and went to 'Roo last year, so I have some basis for comparison).  There's too many differences b/w them to list here, but a few are...

1.  Coachella = dry heat, Roo = muggier heat
2.  The Coachella concert grounds are smaller than Bonnaroo's (no big sprawling fields at Coachella), but it does have nicely manicured grass (since it's a polo field), which means that it won't ever be the dust bowl that Roo was last year.
3.  Bands play shorter sets at Coachella
4.  Music at Coachella ends at around 1 am and the concert grounds close overnight.  Not 24hrs a day like Roo.  
5.  More electronic music and techno @ Coachella.  Whether that's a good or bad thing depends on your taste, but I've seen some great sets of electronic music there (daft punk, mylo, junior boys, lcd soundsystem), and there are some good acts this year, too.
6.  You can actually stay in a house or hotel at Coachella (which means more expensive, unless you know someone with a place out there), but AC and pools are blessed things.
7.  Bonnaroo = sweaty hippies.  Coachella = sweaty hipsters.  pick your poison.

I've never camped at Coachella, so I can't report on that.  I know that from my description it sounds like Roo would kick Coachella's ass, but I think I actually prefer Coachella (or maybe it's just the bad taste left in my mouth from the Rent-a-Cops (Sting's band) and the major dust last year at Roo).  Nicely manicured grass at 5pm as the sun starts setting are unbeatable with the mountains in the background.  Nighttime in the desert is pretty great as well.
$240 worth of puddin'

oxxys

Nothing will outdo the last 3 bands to play on the main stage at Lolla last year.....
Kings of Leon
MMJ
Pearl Jam

this was just the craziest 5 hours of music ever

getinthevan

QuoteNothing will outdo the last 3 bands to play on the main stage at Lolla last year.....
Kings of Leon
MMJ
Pearl Jam

this was just the craziest 5 hours of music ever

You know, that was a great moment in time.  I'm not sure if I would call it the craziest, but it was absolutely fantasic.
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

DaFunkyPrecedent

i've been to many Fests, (Roo, Lolla, Street Scene, High Sierra, Vegoose, Coachella) and by far the best of all of them, HANDS DOWN, coachella is the best show on earth.  There is something special in the air in Indio Calif.  I know the names may not be as big as other Fests this year, but that is just because the bands playing this year are not from America - this year is a world event!

Bands You Must Check Out

- Band of Bee's ( Brit Psy Rock <---Amazing)
- Vampire Weekend (most pleasent band i have heard in a while)
- Booka Shade (YOU DONT EVEN KNOW!)
- Austin TV (The MMJ of Mexico)
- Datarock (New Talking Heads - plus, the most fun show you'll ever go to)
- Love and Rockets (Heavy shit - Big and Powerful)
- Black Lips (go to their Myspace and watch their video in Teijuana Mexico - so fucking sick!)
- Kate Nash (Lilly Alen but better)
- KRAFTWERK (if you dont know, get educated fools!)

and then every other band too....it's going to be the best 3 days of my life, i just knows it!  

P.S. they took down all the days each band was playing - this must mean something.   Get ready for something to happen.....Radiohead? P. Jam? something even bigger????
God damn those shaky knees.