Coachella Setlist?

Started by alexzbik, Apr 28, 2008, 09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexzbik

how do we not have one yet?
Stolen as the war begun, this time your soul is my one.

MyLifeISought

Hey, saw your post over on PT, too
So far confirmed through news reports:
Five songs from Evil Urges (including Smokin' from Shootin', Evil Urges, Highly Suspicious)
Gideon
Off the Record
Wordless Chorus
Lay Low
"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco

Zzzzzzzz

Prom King

give us something, please.  i am trying to concentrate at work and this is driving me nuts.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/pastisback"]http://www.last.fm/user/pastisback[/url]

The DARK

QuoteHey, saw your post over on PT, too
So far confirmed through news reports:
Five songs from Evil Urges (including Smokin' from Shootin', Evil Urges, Highly Suspicious)
Gideon
Off the Record
Wordless Chorus
Lay Low

They said in the one review that the concert ended with a loud, distorted scream. I would assume this to mean that they closed with Touch Me Pt 2
In another time, in another place, in another face

MyLifeISought

And I bet they played I'm Amazed as well, and the Billboard article confirms Anytime was played, so far we've got 5 Z songs and 5 EU songs.
"Music is my savior
-Wilco

alexzbik

i don't understand why we still do not have a setlist!
Stolen as the war begun, this time your soul is my one.

skydog

^^^ a setlist would have been up the night of the show if we only had a PT MMJ

MyLifeISought

Rolling Stone confirms One Big Holiday opener as well as I'm Amazed, and Spinner confirms M. Ward guest spot on Off the Record

We now have, out of order:
One Big Holiday
Anytime
Wordless
Off the Record w/ M. Ward
Lay Low
Gideon
I'm Amazed
Evil Urges
Touch Me II
Smokin' from Shootin'
Highly Suspicious

If I had to guess, that's the whole set
Skydog: This board is all you need, my friend.
"Music is my savior
-Wilco

ms. yvon

Quotei don't understand why we still do not have a setlist!
i left the napkin with the scrawled set list in yesterday's backpack or i'd hook you up.  ;D

these things i can confirm:

opened with OBH
closed with smokin-->touch me pt. 2

AND:  M. Ward came out to play on OTR!!  jim introduced him as M. Motherfucking Ward.  ;D

and this:  part way thru the set the man next to me leaning in and asking, "where are these guys from?"

my neck is sore from head shaking without proper warm up, and my calves and ankles are tired from throwing down some quality dance moves, but i am feeling goooood today.   (may be just the coffee, but it think it's something more.   ;) )

proper review coming after i make this fed-ex deadline and see colin meloy tonight!
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

Dorothy_Mantooth

Quoteand this:  part way thru the set the man next to me leaning in and asking, "where are these guys from?"

This is actually preferable to the many times i've been at a jacket show when the guy behind me yells "Jiiiiiim..... [size=14]JIIMMMM,[/size] you're ... wearing shoes!"

I'm glad you went. The pictures from Coachella always make it look like a lush, oasis kind of paradise.
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

ryanryanryanryan

I am surprised nobody posted one either, I just scrolled through here looking for other people's thoughts on the show, and decided to make an account just to post it!

here's to a sweet first post!

anyway the order is a little rough from my memory, but should be right:

One Big Holiday
Off The Record
I'm Amazed
Evil Urges
Wordless Chorus
Highly Suspicious
Lay Low
Anytime
Gideon
Smokin From Shootin
Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt. 2

I was pretty bummed that 5 out of 11 were new songs, even if I had heard them already, it's still disapointing. First time seeing them I would have wanted to see all of the songs I knew and loved (Steam Engine, Mahgeeta, Dondante, Run Thru, What A Wonderful Man, Dancefloors, etc.) but it was still an incredible show and perfect way to cap off an incredible weekend for me. Definitely the best act of Coachella '08, next to Animal Collective of course. I can't wait for Bonnaroo!

I took about 100 pictures, you can see em here when I find energy to load them up:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22067410@N04/

sweatboard

Evil Urges  
Wordless Chorus  
Highly Suspicious  

I really like that little run of songs.
There's Still Time.........

ms. yvon

this is the first time i've been to the coachella fest. i live in los angeles, but not being from here i have some ingrained prejudices about the place.  i imagined the worst of la. culture at the fest.  boy, i was way off.  it was terrific!

the fest is much smaller than other fests i've attended.  it's not impossible to get from one end to the other in 5 min!  water was $2/bottle.  there were some really well planned components to the fest. (ok.  i digress...less big picture)

the band came out just as the sun was setting.  this place is BEAUTIFUL at dusk.  holy cats. :o

since ryan3 hooked up the setlist, i'll add these notes:

--obh:  during the guitar picking section just before the big end, jim was mouthed the words, "going...going...going..." couldn't tell if he actually said "gone."

--otr:  w/m. motherfucking ward

--during highly suspicious jim sang one "high" that lasted for about 17 minutes.  OUTSTANDING!  his voice was cracking a bit during some of the songs but then he would hit these crucial notes that clear your head.  awesome.

--evil urges:  marc is cooking up some FAB purple and green lights for this one   [smiley=beer.gif]

--touch me pt 2:  THIS FEELING IT IS WONDERFUUUUUUL...DON'T YOU EVER TURN IT OFF!!  *booty shake*  i love that this song combines mucho hip wiggling AND hollering at the top of your lungs.  :D

--style points:  bo was rocking this very coool brown hat.  i'm sure there are pix somewhere...

as their set ended my friend paul said we should make a break for it to catch part of sons and daughters.  we weaved thru the crowds at a sprint, were able to get to the front of the crowd on one side of the stage.  i was alternately singing and clutching the cramp in my side.   ;D

for the record:  i had roasted corn on the cob, but declined the churro.
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

ms. yvon

Quoteand this:  part way thru the set the man next to me leaning in and asking, "where are these guys from?"

This is actually preferable to the many times i've been at a jacket show when the guy behind me yells "Jiiiiiim..... [size=14]JIIMMMM,[/size] you're ... wearing shoes!"

I'm glad you went. The pictures from Coachella always make it look like a lush, oasis kind of paradise.
;D ;D

i LIKE when i hear these questions.  he asked me, so i hooked 'em with the skinny.  he kept telling his girlfriend that one of their friends "should hear these guys."  it's such a kick to be next to someone hearing the band for the first time at a show!

DaFunkyPrecedent

I just got back from Coachella!  Wow, what an amazing 3 days of music.  Coachella is the happiest, most wonderful, friendly, bright and lush planet in the whole wide universe.  It was a long wait for Sunday 7pm MMJ set, but fuck, was it worth it.  Gorgol opened with an amazing set! the last set before the sun started to set.  But just as the sun was in perfect pitch, My Morning Jacket took the stage to what I am guessing, was their biggest auidence they have ever played in front of!  

Highly Suspicious was by far the high light of the show!  When Jim did his 20 second scream toward the end of the song, people around me simply just stood there grabbing their head in amazement that someone could produce such a voice.  

The real treat of the show was first time listeners around me who were simply blown away by them.  "Who are THESE GUYS?"  "HOLY SHIT HE CAN SING" " "this is a sound I've never heard before!"  

MMJ took a valunerable crowd, a crowd who i belive had much doubt that MMJ should be opening for Roger Waters and made a couple thousand believers that THEY ARE an AMAZING rock and roll band.  

I was so proud of them.  They looked sooooo good standing on that stage together smacking their guitars and drums and basses as loud as they could.  MMJ threw it down! What a great capper to a wonderful weekend.  By Far the biggest highlight of 4 days in the desert!
God damn those shaky knees.

...vacuuman...

Really a great set and they made the most of the paltry 1 hour they were given.

Notable observations:

Going on when it was still light out, and finishing the set when it was almost dark was amazing.  You saw the palm trees behind the stage during the beginning of the set and then got the lights during Smokin' > TMIGTSp2.

Seeing them on the main stage multiplied the set's awesomeness many times over.  They played the Outdoor stage 2 yrs ago, which was cool, but the main stage has by far the most overpowering (in a good way) sound.  And videoscreens are a big plus at festivals.  As long as you're not going to be at a club, you might as well have all the bells and whistles.  Favorite camera angle is when they film to the side and slightly behind the band so that you see the crowd stretched out with the palm trees and tents.

I couldn't bring myself to leave my spot close up toward the stage, but it would have been great to have seen a song or two from the very back of the crowd to get a sense of how the sound and vibe carries way back there.  Did anyone see it from there?

There seemed to be quite a few people up close that were mainly interested in securing good spots for Roger Waters (and not so much seeing mmj).  And we were able to snake through the crowd pretty easily to get a great spot.

Highly Suspicious was great live.  I don't know if anyone else agrees, but for me, that song is to Evil Urges what WAWM is to Z.  Fast, barnstorming songs that kick ass live, but took me a while to open up to on record.

I was surprised that Jim didn't freak out about Prince's set (like he did with Portishead), especially after the Fillmore NYE Prince cover.  I hope the band got to see that set on Saturday night.  Amazing.

final thought: Omnichord could have been a bit louder in the mix on Touch Me pt 2 (ditto for M. Ward's acoustic on OTR).
$240 worth of puddin'