Why are the playing at Madison Square Garden

Started by adam.enterkin, Jun 29, 2008, 12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adam

Madison Square Garden?  What a terrible venue! the acoustics are horrible, and it is were bands that completely suck play.  Why, why, why?  They could have played at the Beacon and put on a real world class performance.  Instead they choose MSG, which is  a total sell out move and totally uncool.  I expected so much more from a band of this calibre.  I would go see them at MSG just because I love MMJ so much, but I wont because every time I have seen a concert at MSG I can berely recognize the band because the acoustics are horrible.  All you hear is echo and it does not even sound like the band.  I would be perfectly happy paying twice the price to see them at a place that has good acoustics.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

QuoteMadison Square Garden?  What a terrible venue! the acoustics are horrible, and it is were bands that completely suck play.  Why, why, why?  They could have played at the Beacon and put on a real world class performance.  Instead they choose MSG, which is  a total sell out move and totally uncool.  I expected so much more from a band of this calibre.  I would go see them at MSG just because I love MMJ so much, but I wont because every time I have seen a concert at MSG I can berely recognize the band because the acoustics are horrible.  All you hear is echo and it does not even sound like the band.  I would be perfectly happy paying twice the price to see them at a place that has good acoustics.

bullshit bullshit bullshit.  

Madison Square Garden on New Years Eve is like a landmark opportunity.  there are amazing musicians who would die to be able to play there on that night I bet ya.  huge hype, big venue, tons of rocking.  sounds completely amazing.  having more people listen to your music usually means you have to play bigger venues so you don't leave anyone out.  just my 02cents that you're totally wrong.

ycartrob

They are playing other shows than just the NYE show. CHeck out the tour section and go to one of those.

tomEisenbraun

It's sort of an iconic venue?

But still, I suppose for trolls, the song remains the same...
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

ycartrob

QuoteIt's sort of an iconic venue?

my favorite MMJ video     :)    2:07 - 2:25 is my favorite sequence
                                          3:55 is my favorite shot

plus, it's in the winter, the best time to listen to My Morning Jacket      

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESz_4JKqZPc[/media]

Dorothy_Mantooth

well i offered our backyard for their new year's event,  but apparently, they said something about it being "too small" and mentioned something called a "noise violation." pack of lies, if you ask me
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

tomEisenbraun

Oh p.s. Welcome to the Board! Great first post!
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

ycartrob

they should have played Radio City Music Ha...

uhhh

wait a minute

Is it June 28th?   damn...

bold99

Gov't Mule has the Beacon booked every year for NYE anyway.  I'll take MSG, most famous arena ever, thanks.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

shockadow

QuoteMadison Square Garden?  What a terrible venue! the acoustics are horrible, and it is were bands that completely suck play.  Why, why, why?  They could have played at the Beacon and put on a real world class performance.  Instead they choose MSG, which is  a total sell out move and totally uncool.  I expected so much more from a band of this calibre.  I would go see them at MSG just because I love MMJ so much, but I wont because every time I have seen a concert at MSG I can berely recognize the band because the acoustics are horrible.  All you hear is echo and it does not even sound like the band.  I would be perfectly happy paying twice the price to see them at a place that has good acoustics.

[size=20]Indie-hipster douchebag alert!!!!   [/size]

Govt. Mule plays Atlanta quite often on NYE, too.   Yawn
O, How time flies, with crystal clear eyes.  But it's cold, it's cold, when you're ending with diamond eyes.

EgoTesticle

Worst.
Post.
Ever.

I don't even know where to begin with this CockGoblin

It is motherfucking Madison Square Garden on motherfucking New Year's Eve in motherfucking New York City, you unbelievably dense tool.

You are dismissed.
Thank you .... You've been a lovely audience ....I'll be here all week .... Try the veal!

EgoTesticle

QuoteGov't Mule has the Beacon booked every year for NYE anyway.  I'll take MSG, most famous arena ever, thanks.

Madison Square Garden has owned The Beacon for a few years now, and this year it will be under renovation, so the Mule will be looking for a new place to play NYE.

So, when it reopens?

Expect it to suck big hairy rhino cock.
Thank you .... You've been a lovely audience ....I'll be here all week .... Try the veal!

j_rud

I dont know how any fan of the band can think this is a bad thing. And while I recognize someones right to their opinion, I've really had about enough of the "sell out" talk. Its complete nonsense. Playing MSG on New Years is an obvious sign of success. This only serves to reinforce the idea that some hipsters regard success itself as selling out. I dont know how you can claim to be a fan of a band when you begrudge them their success. You're acting as if there are going to be commercials between songs. If you dont want to spend New Years with 20,000 people having a fucking excellent time, Im sure there are more than enough hole-in-the-wall bars where you can discover the next "it" band.
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

EgoTesticle

What I find interesting about "adam", the original poster, is that out of 90,000,000 sperm ....

..... He was the winner

[smiley=rolleyes.gif]

DavidCrosby

.....have you ever heard the Phish NYE 1995 recording....yeah that place sucks for acoustics.....and I have been to two shows at MSG this year (Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood/R.E.M.) and I knew what band was playing and it didnt echo at all.....whatever, I dont want someone with a bad attitude at this concert anyway, everyone is going to be rocking and having a great fucking time without you dude....I cant wait......
listen to vinyl

EgoTesticle

Quote.....have you ever heard the Phish NYE 1995 recording....yeah that place sucks for acoustics.....and I have been to two shows at MSG this year (Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood/R.E.M.) and I knew what band was playing and it didnt echo at all.....whatever, I dont want someone with a bad attitude at this concert anyway, everyone is going to be rocking and having a great fucking time without you dude....I cant wait......

PHISH sucked no matter WHERE THEY PLAYED!

DavidCrosby

Quote.....have you ever heard the Phish NYE 1995 recording....yeah that place sucks for acoustics.....and I have been to two shows at MSG this year (Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood/R.E.M.) and I knew what band was playing and it didnt echo at all.....whatever, I dont want someone with a bad attitude at this concert anyway, everyone is going to be rocking and having a great fucking time without you dude....I cant wait......

PHISH sucked no matter WHERE THEY PLAYED!

....missed the point about that one....
listen to vinyl

Zzzzzzzz

LOL

At the Phish "sucks" comments.

A down and dirty shame you didn't get a chance to enjoy the ride.  Some of the best years of my life.  And MSG fucking ROCKS for NYE.  To the moron that said "no good bands play at MSG," needs to go back and read his fucking music history.  The place might be the most famous music venue in the WORLD.

I can't believe what I have read in this thread.

Zzzzzzzz

I'm sorry, but this thread really irks me.  Look at all of the shitty bands that played that shitty venue, MSG.

Concerts and live performances

Since 1968, Madison Square Garden has been host to a number of concerts and live performances.

Listed in chronological order with name of artist and date of performance

* In August, 1969, the Jackson 5 made their first television appearance, singing The Isley Brothers' "It's Your Thing" at the Miss Black America Pageant at MSG.

* On December 19, 1969, Janis Joplin performed her last concert with her Kozmic Blues Band.[9]

* The Rolling Stones 1970 live album Get Yer Ya Ya's Out was made with the band's performances at MSG on November 27 and 28th 1969, during their legendary 1969 North American Tour.

* A twelve-act show dubbed the Winter Festival for Peace took place at MSG on January 28, 1970.

* On August 1, 1971, George Harrison held his Concert For Bangladesh. This historic event was the first special benefit concert to raise funds for charity (in this case, the country of Bangladesh, which was at that time in a severe and desperate state). There were two concerts held that day, with one taking place at 2:30pm and the other at 7:00 pm. The show featured artists such as Harrison, Ravi Shankar, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Ringo Starr, Billy Preston, and Klaus Voormann, to name a few. A live album of the concert was released in 1972.

* In June 1972 Elvis Presley made his first and only appearances in New York City at the Garden. Elvis played four shows to 80,000 people, which at the time was a record for the venue. A week after the shows an album of the Saturday evening performance was rushed to release making it the fastest turnaround between a live performance and its recorded release. To mark the 25th anniversary of Elvis' Garden shows, a recording of the Saturday afternoon performance was released entitled An Afternoon in the Garden.

* John Lennon performed a concert at The Garden on 30 August 1972 which was professionally recorded and posthumously released on the 1986 album Live in New York City.

* Rick Nelson put MSG into song with his 1972 million seller "Garden Party".

* English rock band Led Zeppelin performed three consecutive, sold-out performances which were filmed and recorded on their live album, and for many years, only live album and accompanying concert film, The Song Remains the Same, at The Garden during their 1973 U.S. tour. Additional footage from these concerts was released in 2003 on the Led Zeppelin DVD.

* In June 1974 The Who played 4 sold-out dates. A single radio announcement during a December 1973 radio broadcast was enough to sell out the shows in a matter of hours.

* In October 1974, to cap his comeback after his retirement in 1971 Frank Sinatra played in front of 20,000 fans at the Garden in a show dubbed "The Main Event" that was broadcast nationally and internationally.

* On November 28, 1974, John Lennon made a surprise guest appearance at an Elton John concert - Lennon's last ever concert appearance. They sang together as a duet on "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", "Whatever Gets You Thru the Night" and "I Saw Her Standing There". The concert was released as the "There" portion of John's 1976 live album Here and There.

* In December 1976, The Bee Gees performed at MSG during their Children of the World tour and donated the proceeds to the New York Police Athletic League.

* On February 18, 1977, New York-based rock band Kiss made their Madison Square Garden debut, as part of a world tour supporting their fifth studio album Rock And Roll Over. Kiss have since made The Garden a regular stop on nearly every tour they have made, most notably a four-night sellout in July 1996.

* That same month, English rock band Queen made their Madison Square Garden debut, as part of a world tour supporting their fifth studio album A Day at the Races with opening act Thin Lizzy. Queen would make The Garden a regular stop on every subsequent US tour they would make with their classic lineup (1982's Hot Space tour would be the last tour the original lineup of Queen would play America), most notably a four-night sellout in September 1980.

* Earlier that month, fellow English band Genesis made their Madison Square Garden debut, as part of a world tour supporting their eighth studio album Wind and Wuthering (which was their last tour with guitarist Steve Hackett). Genesis would make The Garden a regular stop on every subsequent US tour they would make (save the 1992 We Can't Dance tour), most notably ex-lead singer Peter Gabriel joining the band for an encore in July 1978.

* In June 1977, Led Zeppelin performed six sold out concerts at The Garden. The band spent no money on advertising for the gigs, relying on street demand to sell out the shows. Enough ticket applications were received to sell out a further two nights, had time permitted.

* In July 1977, English rock band Pink Floyd performed at MSG for the first time in their then ten year recording career, playing four consecutive sold out nights from July 1 through July 4 on the final North American dates on their Animals tour. The show on July 1 saw problems between the band and local lighting technicians, whom they had to use instead of their own lighting crew due to union technicalities, and on July 3 when fans lit off fireworks which disrupted the Pink Floyd's performance. The band (minus Roger Waters) would not play the venue again until the 1987 A Momentary Lapse of Reason tour, when the shows ran a lot more smoothly.

* On June 17, 1978 reggae superstar Bob Marley raised the profile of reggae music in America with his performance at the Garden. In 1980 Marley played two concerts at the venue as the opener of The Commodores; the performances were sold out, but the Garden was almost empty after Marley's show. The day after Marley, already fatally ill, collapsed while jogging in Central Park and performed one last concert in Pittsburgh before canceling the tour. Marley died months later of cancer.

* In October 1978 Jethro Tull filmed a concert at this venue on their Bursting Out tour which aired on television. Some parts were released on the re-issued Thick as a Brick album and various concert videos. These concerts were of note as Tull's leader Ian Anderson's friend Tony Williams filled in for then-Tull bass player John Glascock, who was suffering from ailing health (Glascock would pass away in 1979).

* During Queen's show in November of 1978 the band had numerous naked women on stage riding bicycles during their song "Bicycle Race" This stunt attracted considerable media attention.

* The same year, Chicago based rockers Styx performed here for the first time on their Pieces of Eight tour. They would play there again on the Grand Decathlon and Paradise Theatre tours in 1979 and 1981.

* In September of 1979, Musicians United for Safe Energy (a.k.a. MUSE) held a series of five No Nukes concerts at the Garden. Performers included Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, Bruce Springsteen, The Doobie Brothers, Carly Simon, James Taylor, Chaka Khan, and Crosby, Stills, and Nash. The concerts were documented in an album, No Nukes: The MUSE Concerts For a Non-Nuclear Future, and a 1980 feature film titled No Nukes.

Zzzzzzzz

* Woodstock '79: a rock concert in honor of the 10th Anniversary of the original Woodstock Festival.

* Also, Supertramp would play here on their Breakfast in America tour in 1979 (at the time they played their album was at #1 in the US) and would subsequently play there on their ...Famous Last Words... tour in 1983.

* In May 1981 Rush performed at MSG for the first time in their then seven year career on their Moving Pictures tour. The band would subsequently perform here again in 1982 (two shows on their Signals tour), 1984, 1988, 1991, 1994 (two shows on their Counterparts tour), 2002 and as recent as September of 2007.

* On New Year's Eve, 1982 Billy Joel played his first sold out new year's eve concert as well as ended his Nylon Curtain tour on the same night at The Garden.

* On May 14, 1988, the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary celebrations were held at The Garden, consisting of a non-stop concert lasting almost 13 hours. Those performing included Led Zeppelin, Yes, Genesis, Iron Butterfly, The Rascals, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Foreigner, Paul Rodgers, Bob Geldof, Booker T. Jones, Wilson Pickett, The Coasters, The Spinners, Peabo Bryson, Dan Aykroyd, Roberta Flack, Manhattan Transfer, Debbie Gibson, The Bee Gees, Ruth Brown, LaVern Baker, Ben E. King, and Vanilla Fudge.

* Comedian Andrew Dice Clay became the first comic to do two sold out shows in a row in 1991 in a film entitled Dice Rules.
   * In August of 1991 Thrash Metal band Metallica throw a free listening party for the black album for fans only.
   * In 1993 Luis Miguel became the first Latin artist to sell out at the Garden and received a special recognition during the middle of the show.

* In 1994 Barbra Streisand did six shows here and recorded her album The Concert here.

* In 1994, Notorious B.I.G. (Biggie Smalls), Tupac Shakur, Shyheim and Big Daddy Kane freestyled live.

* On 10 October 1995, Mariah Carey performed at The Garden, which was filmed and released on the DVD/Home Video Fantasy: Mariah Carey at Madison Square Garden.

* On December 31, 1995, rock band Phish performed for a sellout crowd and played a show that was later called one of "the Greatest Concerts of the 90s" by Rolling Stone magazine. It was recorded and released on December, 20th 2005 to commemorate the show's 10th anniversary as a three disc set entitled: Phish: New Year's Eve 1995 - Live at Madison Square Garden

* On November 25, 1996 the hard rock band Stone Temple Pilots performed an extended set at The Garden in support of their third album Tiny Music... Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop. Most notably, Steven Tyler and Joe Perry of the rock band Aerosmith joined the band midway through the show to perform the Aerosmith songs "Sweet Emotion" and "Lick and a Promise".

* On July 16, 1998, Page and Plant performed a concert at The Garden.

* On Sunday, October 11, 1998, Janet Jackson performed her Velvet Rope concert live on HBO. R&B artist Usher was her opening act, hip-hop star Q-Tip made a guest performance, and former Secretary of State General Colin Powell made a special appearance.

* Billy Joel played a four-hour concert for New Year's 1999, dubbed 'The Night of Two Thousand Years." Two songs from this concert were broadcast live on ABC-TV as part of the ABC 2000 news program. Highlights from the show were also used for the live album 2000 Years: The Millennium Concert.

* Former boy-band NSYNC sold out two concerts at the Garden in May 2000 for their No Strings Attached Tour, which was later released on DVD, titled simply "NSYNC Live From Madison Square Garden"
   * New Jersey native Bruce Springsteen sold out a then-record 10-night stand at the Garden in June and July 2000. Highlights of the show were used for his live CD/DVD Live In New York City.

* Barbra Streisand set the highest grossing event at MSG with her two "farewell" concerts on September 27-28, 2000.

* Elton John recorded a live performance and MSG called Elton John One Night Only - The Greatest Hits. The album was recorded on October 20, and 21, 2000, an extended version was also released as a DVD.

* The Michael Jackson: 30th Anniversary Special took place on September 7 and 10th, 2001. Including various artists from Usher to Whitney Houston. Notable for the performance of the Jackson 5

* On October 20, 2001 The Garden played host to "The Concert for New York City" after the September 11, 2001 attacks. The benefit was as famous for its emotional performances by Billy Joel and The Who.

* On October 24, 2002 Canadian rock band Rush sold out Madison Square Garden the band's first tour in nearly six years. The band was awarded on stage from the Recording Industry Association of American for shipments of 25 million in the United States of America.

* On October 28, 2002 Latin American Mexican rock band Maná performed here for their Revolución de Amor Tour. They also played the following year on October 13, 2003 for the same tour.

* on December 31, 2002 jamband Phish made their triumphant return to the stage after a 2 year hiatus to a loving MSG crowd. This would be their last performance at the garden after the band called it quits in the summer of 2004

* Pearl Jam's 2003 live DVD Live at the Garden was recorded on July 8, 2003 at The Garden.

* On July 30, 2003 Iron Maiden played the arena alongside fellow Metal bands Dio and Motorhead.

* On November 25, 2003, Jay-Z held a concert at the Garden, which would later be the focus of his film Fade to Black. This concert was his "retirement party." All proceeds went to charity. Other performers included collaborators like The Roots (in the form of his backing band), Missy Elliott, Memphis Bleek, Beanie Siegel, Freeway, Mary J. Blige, Beyoncé, Twista, Ghostface Killah, Foxy Brown, Pharrell and R. Kelly with special appearances by Voletta Wallace and Afeni Shakur; the mothers of Notorious B.I.G. and Tupac Shakur respectively.

* March 14, 2004 witnessed the 20th anniversary of World Wrestling Entertainment's WrestleMania PPV in front of 20,000 fans. The return to MSG for WrestleMania generated more than $2.4 million USD in ticket sales.

* June 22, 2005 witnessed British rock band Oasis make their long awaited debut at the Garden, some 10 years into their career. The concert sold out in record time and was later praised by many critics.

* In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina the Garden played host to yet another charity concert. From the Big Apple to the Big Easy, was an event held on September 20, 2005. It has since been referred to as "Apple Easy". The funds raised went to helping rebuild New Orleans after the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina.

* From October 24-26, 2005, Cream played at MSG for their United States reunion. The shows were marred by some controversy in regards to tickets: the show's promoters had made a deal with credit card company American Express to make tickets available to American Express customers only in an unprecedented week-long pre-sale. Ticket scalpers charged high prices for tickets. Nevertheless, the shows were a financial success and received critical praise.

* On November 27, 2005, nu metal band Slipknot performed a sold-out night at the gardens as part of their Vo. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) tour with support from Lamb of God and Shadows Fall .

* In 2006, Billy Joel set a record with a string of 12 sold-out performances, breaking the record of 10 set by Bruce Springsteen in 2000. On night 12 of the stand, MSG raised a #12 to the rafters on top of the Garden to join the numbers of Rangers and Knicks players that have had their numbers retired by their respective teams, making Joel the first ever non-sports individual to have his "number" retired at The Garden. The concerts were released as the album 12 Gardens Live in 2006.

* During the New York stops for her 2006 record-breaking world tour, Confessions Tour, Madonna performed 6 sold-out nights, grossing $16,507,855.

Barbra Streisand performed her two Streisand: The Tour concerts here on October 9 and 11, 2006.

* On November 12, 2006, comedian Dane Cook performed two sold out shows in one night.

* On December 1, 2006, comedy rock band Tenacious D, featuring actors Jack Black and Kyle Gass performed at MSG in their first headlining concert at a major American arena, with comedian Neil Hamburger the unlikely opener.
   * On January 27, 2007, O.A.R. performed a sold out show.
   * On March 14 and March 15, 2007 Latin American Mexican rock band Maná performed here for there Amar es Combatir Tour.

* On March 23, 2007, Christina Aguilera came to the Madison Square Garden in NYC with the Back to Basics Tour.

* On March 24, 2007, soca artist Machel Montano performed two sold out shows in one night.

* On March 25, 2007, Elton John celebrated his 60th birthday and 60th Sold Out concert at Madison Square Garden. In honor of this achievement an Elton John #60 banner was raised to the rafters.

* On May 30, 2007, Roger Waters played for the second time at MSG in a year.

* On August 4 & August 5, 2007 R&B singer Beyoncé performed 2 sold-out shows part of her 2007 World Tour "The Beyoncé Experience".

* In 2007, Dispatch reunited at MSG and sold out shows on the nights of July 13 14th, and 15th. There was originally supposed to be only one show, but after selling out the first scheduled concert in 15 minutes, the band added another show that sold out in 24 hours, then added a third night on the 15th. These shows were all 100% concerts. Dispatch became the first unsigned band to ever sell out Madison Square Garden.

* On August 15 & August 16, 2007 Justin Timberlake Performed 2 sold-out Shows on his FutureSex/LoveSounds Tour. A combination of the two dates were made into an HBO Concert of the same name, and on November 13 was released on DVD, named "FutureSex/LoveShow Live From Madison Squar