MMJ in the Nation's Capital

Started by YouAre_GivenToFly, Aug 22, 2008, 10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerseyDan

leaving now, i will be the tan dude in the black Radiohead Crew t-shirt, jeans, and loud sneakers!

Sassbox

Well, I've seen more than two hours in the last couple of weeks (Nashville, Louisville, Red Rocks and Dallas).  I hope we don't get an abbreviated set due to curfew.  I haven't checked setlists for other shows, but mine were 28-29-28-29 (not necessarily in that order).  Miami's was only 21, but I heard someone on the Wilco forum said the Miami venue was only half full.  Fools!

DAR is a dud as far as venues are concerned.  If you park in a garage, make sure you find out what time it closes because the majority of them close early (11ish).  You can and will find street parking if you get there when DCers are leaving for work.
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

barnylee

Thx for the setlist guidance....looks like One Big Holiday is their Freebird song where they have it locked in as their last encore song...at least in the last 5 or 6 shows that I checked.

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

teknowledgey

QuoteConstitution Hall is without a doubt the worst venue in Washington DC.

Its inconvenient to the metro, bars, parking, no drinks at seats, sound sucks, ushers suck.

And, it's not beautiful. Its an assembly hall.

That being said, everybody is having drinks at a bar called "The bottom line" on 17th & I sts. NW (right across the street from the Farragut West metro) starting at 5:00

I would say for what it is, it is actually very beautiful.  I saw PJ there in 1998.

Just saw the Crowes at Wolftrap and a bunch of fans were completely bitching about that place...the security, etc.  I'm like, are you kidding me?  Wolftrap and DAR and flatout awesome....sure it might be a little uptight but I really appreciate the fact that I get top see my fav bands in such beautiful settings....it adds to the vibe, IMO.

NoVa_NoLa

Holy Moses!  Tonight's show smoked!!!  

And, for some unknown reason, they allowed people to bring drinks to their seats.  Security was non existent in my area (row 6 Jim's side).

I wish I had grabbed a setlist...figured that someone would have already posted it.

Well, I'm bad with song titles, but we did get War Begun!!  I've gotta pull out CD sleeves for the other gems we got tonight!

Sassbox

The band was ON!  And yay! on bringing drinks to your seat, but boo! on the venue running out of beer.

I continue to be disappointed by how positively lackluster DC audiences are.  I could've sworn I smelled embalming fluid.  MOVE, PEOPLE!!!

j_rud

Just got back to Philly...some quick notes...

-I heard a lot of worries that the acoustics sucked at the venue, but they were absolutely incredible. Possibly the best sound Ive heard at an MMJ show, including Radio City.

-The crowd was horrid. A lot of suits and uninterested people. I knew it was bad when guy behind me said to his girlfriend "Well, I know the singer is named Jim Jones, and they sound a bit like Maroon 5". They left after 3 songs.

-The band was in jam mode tonight. Songs were stretched and pulled and played seemingly forever. Off the Record was a 9 minute jame, and i LOVE the new solos at the end of War Begun. Dondante was mind blowing with an extended Carl sax solo.

-Met the band (minus Patrick, who was "chillin' with family", according to Bo) and got pics with Carl and Jim. Bo and Carl were really cool and talked for a few seconds about the acoustics in the venue. Talked to Tommy and mentioned that Bo really kicked ass tonight, and that got a big smile out of him; "Yeah, he was fucking on, huh?". Not to sound cheesy but I shook Jims hand and told him thanks, and that what he does means a lot to me. He seemed genuinely humble and thankful. He actually seemed pretty shy compared to his stage demeanor.

GivenToFly got some amazing pics, and sure he'll put them up tomorrow. Great show, as always. about 40 hours 'till Philly :D
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

j_rud

Setlist

Evil Urges
Anytime
Off the Record
Touch Me Pt 1
Two Halves
Golden
Thank You Too
I'm Amazed
The Way That He Sings
Sec Walkin
War Begun
Phone Went West
Cobra
Librarian
Dondante
Gideon
Lay Low
Steam Engine

Encore
Wordless Chorus
Highly Suspicious
Smokin' from Shootin'
Touch Me Pt 2
Run Thru
One Big Holiday

brkndwnbus

I agree with the crowd being horrid for the most part. I find that a lot with venues where it is seating. 930 Club would have been much better, but would have not allowed nearly as many fans in.

Thanks to the 11 p.m. parking time, my friend and I had to get out after "Highly Suspicious." I am seeing them again Friday, so I'll deal with it. At least I got to see "Cobra" and "War Begun."

moemoephoto

Those that bashed this venue must have been there for an Opera or something.... Because the venue was nothing short of perfect.

Drinks abound in the seats, people dancing in the aisles, perfect sound (i too thought it was comperable to RCMH), and the staff was extremely freindly!

The show was awesome as always!  And of course, there is one glowstick guy in every crowd  ;D
Concert Photography:
www.moemoephoto.com

brkndwnbus

I was on the floor in row FF and the show was a great time, but I just don't like seated events where you can't move up close or anything. The band was spot on - I just felt I had more fun - speaking about the crowd - in '06 at the 930 Club. Just my opinion.

RIGHTON

QuoteThose that bashed this venue must have been there for an Opera or something.... Because the venue was nothing short of perfect.

You must not go to a lot of venues.

I will say that I've seen plenty of shows at Constitution Hall and last night, being able to bring drinks to your seats, was a very welcome first.

Although the constant 60 person drink line at every bar was insane and unnecessary.

They always fail at that place.

coolridge

That show was f*ng amazing. This was me and my wife's first MMJ concert as we had to bail on the last one because of moving to down to this D.C. area. At firsts I had to admit I was a little concerned for the beginning two songs... straight album cuts, glossy-perfect, but admirable... then Off the Record got going and we started feeling the band's energy.

I think that energy just kept rolling tighter and stronger right until the encore. And what a great freakin encore! Fantastic list and unmatchable energy from everyone! Did you hear those screams from Jim!? Awesome pipes, man! Seriously, without a double encore, I've never seen anyone do 6 songs in one encore.

Sure the crowd in D.C. will always be a little reserved, but we showed our love in encouraging the encore and there was still plenty of people grooving. Overall, the lights (dude controlling that is GOOD), the stage show, the quality, the energy... it was all top notch. We are live MMJ show fans forever. Doesn't mean much to you, but to me especially, I can say that I like all live shows but I don't LOVE most of them like I love a good Crowes or Phish show and I LOVE the MMJ show... speaking for my wife (who's seen more classical concerts her whole life than any other type of live performance.. btw, she IS the sexiest librarian!  ::)) she's a convert too. Totally smokin!!  :D

Sassbox

He seemed genuinely humble and thankful. He actually seemed pretty shy compared to his stage demeanor.

Completely agree.  He was rather shy when we met him in Nashville...very friendly, but shy.  It's such a pleasure to meet people with such incredible talent and have them be...normal!

The DC crowd is always disappointing, not only at DAR.  I've been to plenty of shows at 9:30 Club where I look around in amazement and wonder if I have the only pulse in the room.  Now, I'm not particularly outgoing or prone to bouts of hyperactivity, nor am I much of a dancer.  When I'm one of the few in the crowd who is gregarious and shaking my hind end, it's beyond disappointing.

Philly tomorrow!  It'll be my 9th show since March and I can't wait.  Too much is never enough.  :)

YouAre_GivenToFly

Holy. Shit.

What an amazing show at DC. Let me start off by saying I started off with tickets in the next to last row in the place, then upgraded to 3rd row "obstructed view" seats. With a little luck, this is what are view actually was...

The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

tdogjuwan

The crowd sucked. Didn't matter my wife and I had a great time.  It was my fourth time seeing them. The first three were in NYC. I'm headed to Philly. I can't be more excited.  I got War Begin and Cobra.  I'm pretty sure the DC crowd just didn't know what they were witness to.

j_rud

QuoteHoly. Shit.

What an amazing show at DC. Let me start off by saying I started off with tickets in the next to last row in the place, then upgraded to 3rd row "obstructed view" seats. With a little luck, this is what are view actually was...

send those to me?

ycartrob

Awesome!

(so, you're a Phillies fan?)

j_rud

Hey Dan, thats a great pic of you with Jim. The photographer really knew what he was doing. Genius, some may say.  ;D