22/1/09 The Metro, Sydney Australia

Started by alexcho, Jan 22, 2009, 08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuff

Quotejust got back from the show and I am exhausted - it's not easy standing in one spot for 3+ hours

I enjoyed the show but thought the set was way too long. that's just my opinion, i'm sure the die hards will disagree with me.

Really enjoyed it beats 4 u, mahgeetah, wordless chorus, gideon and of course anytime/ OBH.

Triple J were filming so I'd say it'll be on jtv or something like that soon.

Again, good performance but 2:45 is a long set in a place where most of the crowd doesn't know the band that well.

aww, we feel so sorry for you.  You had to STAND for three hours and hear one of the best bands in the world.  Poor baby.  I'm guessing they also chained the doors so you couldn't leave.  Well, I guess they should have never forced you to buy that ticket in the first place.

Seriously, of all the things to complain about, the concert being too long is ridiculous.  Was the music too good for you, too?

dude seriously, take it easy.
you people have proven to me that MMJ fans can't take constructive feedback from a more "casual" fan. As soon as something mildly negative is said from a first hand experience you jump on the back foot. If it were a room of die hard fans who love every song, i can understand them playing a long set, and it would be appreciated. However, this was not the case, and you could tell that the crowd was getting bored about 3/4 through main set.
Forums seems to bring out the worst in people sometimes. People feel they can be more offensive since they're not talking face to face.

BH

This has nothing to do with being a fan of My Morning Jacket.    This has to do with the mentality of someone who feels like they have to be seen somewhere, or can't leave because they think they are going to miss something.   I want to get inside your head is all.  Why couldn't you leave?   Why couldn't you go to the lobby and bullshit with your friends and have another drink?  It just doesn't make any sense to me.    This isn't a three hour movie.  You don't have to wait around to see how it ends!   Just go home.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

aMillionDreams

Quotejust got back from the show and I am exhausted - it's not easy standing in one spot for 3+ hours

I enjoyed the show but thought the set was way too long. that's just my opinion, i'm sure the die hards will disagree with me.

Really enjoyed it beats 4 u, mahgeetah, wordless chorus, gideon and of course anytime/ OBH.

Again, good performance but 2:45 is a long set in a place where most of the crowd doesn't know the band that well.

aww, we feel so sorry for you.  You had to STAND for three hours and hear one of the best bands in the world.  Poor baby.  I'm guessing they also chained the doors so you couldn't leave.  Well, I guess they should have never forced you to buy that ticket in the first place.

Seriously, of all the things to complain about, the concert being too long is ridiculous.  Was the music too good for you, too?

you people have proven to me that MMJ fans can't take constructive feedback from a more "casual" fan. As soon as something mildly negative is said from a first hand experience you jump on the back foot. If it were a room of die hard fans who love every song, i can understand them playing a long set, and it would be appreciated. However, this was not the case, and you could tell that the crowd was getting bored about 3/4 through main set.
Forums seems to bring out the worst in people sometimes. People feel they can be more offensive since they're not talking face to face.

I would say the same thing to you in person.  But, I think I get your point.  You mean the Jacket shouldn't play to audiences that don't appreciate them.  Maybe they shouldn't have made the trip in the first place then, huh? Seriously, if your only complaint is that it was too long, I say get over it.  

And, by the way, I rub a lot of people around here the wrong way since I'm not shy of occasionally being critical of the band.  However, I would never complain about having too much Jacket to take in.  

Most of us are here because we can't get enough of this band, not because we want to tell the band's biggest fans how boring we think their concerts are.  What kind of response were you looking for?  "Yeah, you're right, they are really boring.  Thanks for the insightful review."  

And just because it was boring to you doesn't mean the whole venue was bored. In fact, I'll bet the songs you found boring were some of the other people's favorite moments. I know I would have liked to witness that encore.  If you weren't into it, then leave. Don't stay and then bitch about how long it was.  Really.  I think you're just pissed because they were so good.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Ruckus

QuoteForums seems to bring out the worst in people sometimes. People feel they can be more offensive since they're not talking face to face.

Thx for the internet 101 lesson.  Your point is well taken.  I don't necessarily believe you also speak any casual fan as well.  Most fans of music will happily take more than they expected and when you purchase a ticket, I never thought someone would go into the show thinking, "I hope they only play 70 minutes.

You do have the option of leaving and coming back or not come back.  Now if you have an argument for the band maybe not being flexible to the mood of the crowd, articulate that.  What the band saw was still people there that wanted to get their money's worth, I believe.

I'll never forget when I saw John Scofield at the Canopy Club in Urbana, Illinois.  He came on much earlier than anticipated and the show was close to sold out.  By the time the club filled up and was reallly into the show, he abruptly shut it down.  I spoke to him after the show and he said that his contract required him to play either one 90 minute set or two 60 minute sets.  He said they hit 90 minutes and that was all that was required.  As much as I loved Scofield, I never supported him again.

Here, you have a band that's willing to play 3 hours.  Regardless of whether you like them a little or not, that willingness should be celebrated.  Additionally, a typical show for "An Evening With" is always at least 2.5-3 hours long.

Glad you enjoyed parts of the show and celebrate the good also :)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Cuff

QuoteThis has nothing to do with being a fan of My Morning Jacket.    This has to do with the mentality of someone who feels like they have to be seen somewhere, or can't leave because they think they are going to miss something.   I want to get inside your head is all.  Why couldn't you leave?   Why couldn't you go to the lobby and bullshit with your friends and have another drink?  It just doesn't make any sense to me.    This isn't a three hour movie.  You don't have to wait around to see how it ends!   Just go home.
Did you not see in my first post that I said I enjoyed the show? I enjoyed several songs on the set, I just found it to be too drawn out. I'm not just going to leave if I've paid $50 to see the show, I wanted to see a bunch of songs and some weren't played till the end. I can't decide what i think of a show if I leave half way through.

Minneapolis to Kentucky

Cuff, you can call me an asshole here, but I feel no sympathy for you and your review of the show and you are exactly the type of fan that should either 1) immerse yourself in the great music of MMJ so that next time you will enjoy their long shows or 2) just go away.  Seriously.

Cuff

QuoteCuff, you can call me an asshole here, but I feel no sympathy for you and your review of the show and you are exactly the type of fan that should either 1) immerse yourself in the great music of MMJ so that next time you will enjoy their long shows or 2) just go away.  Seriously.

I'm not asking for sympathy from you, I gave a simple review of the show from my perspective.

I'm not trying to offend anyone here.

And yes those are the two options I am currently contemplating.

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Cuff

Quotemy brain hurts
i'd say it's because my little comment was blown out of proportion

xmascriminal

Cobra/Run Thru sounds killer. Plus you got Hell. Awesome. At Dawn and PWW too. Wow. Lucky bastards.

aMillionDreams

Quotemy brain hurts
i'd say it's because my little comment was blown out of proportion

::)

That MUST be it.  

::)

el_chode

In fairness to both sides, on one hand, when going to a MMJ show that is not capped by another headliner or time slot (like a midday 'roo set or Lollapalooza set), MMJ is one of those bands where you should go into it expecting at least a 2 hour show at minimum. I'd have the same reaction if it was LESS than 2 hours or whatever. Most diehard fans equate such a complaint as like walking into McDonalds and getting pissed you can't order a Whopper. But if you've never been to a McDonalds, you wouldn't know.

In the end though, complaining about a short set with a band like MMJ is just like complaining that the guitar solo in One Big Holiday is too rockin'. It amounts to a criticism of the band's style itself more than just a logistical issue surrounding a performance. So when the complaint comes out, it sounds more like someone came in just to troll saying "Jim James can't play guitar" when they really meant to say something more on the level of "My seats sucked". Again, not something a new or casual fan would know right away.

I also think that a lot of people (yo) consider these guys to be one of, if not the last protector of truly live, awe-inspiring rock music, and will form a phalanx that rivals the Spartan legions to defend anything from chipping away at the castle walls.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Cuff

I would say the same thing to you in person.  But, I think I get your point.  You mean the Jacket shouldn't play to audiences that don't appreciate them.  Maybe they shouldn't have made the trip in the first place then, huh? Seriously, if your only complaint is that it was too long, I say get over it.  

And, by the way, I rub a lot of people around here the wrong way since I'm not shy of occasionally being critical of the band.  However, I would never complain about having too much Jacket to take in.  

Most of us are here because we can't get enough of this band, not because we want to tell the band's biggest fans how boring we think their concerts are.  What kind of response were you looking for?  "Yeah, you're right, they are really boring.  Thanks for the insightful review."  

And just because it was boring to you doesn't mean the whole venue was bored. In fact, I'll bet the songs you found boring were some of the other people's favorite moments. I know I would have liked to witness that encore.  If you weren't into it, then leave. Don't stay and then bitch about how long it was.  Really.  I think you're just pissed because they were so good.
mmm close, i mean they should adjust the length of their set according to their audience.
im over it, it's you lot that keep firing off about it

your last sentence makes no sense

el_chode

I think you're obligated to stay around since this thread alone boosted your status to Junior Member
I'm surrounded by assholes

aMillionDreams

Hey guys, I'm going to see the Rolling Stones, but could somebody tell Mick that I find most of his material boring and I only want to hear a 40 minute set (no longer but shorter would be great!) of only MY favorite songs by them and if I don't get it, I'm going to flame them on the internet.

FIY, Cuff.  Most venues have wheelchair sections for people unable to stand throughout the show.

Cuff

QuoteI think you're obligated to stay around since this thread alone boosted your status to Junior Member
nice, but people having issues with me this early on?? the future doesn't look bright haha

Cuff

QuoteHey guys, I'm going to see the Rolling Stones, but could somebody tell Mick that I find most of his material boring and I only want to hear a 40 minute set (no longer but shorter would be great!) of only MY favorite songs by them and if I don't get it, I'm going to flame them on the internet.

FIY, Cuff.  Most venues have wheelchair sections for people unable to stand throughout the show.
but i don't have a wheelchair to sit on... :'(

wharf rat

And now ack to the original topic.  Wow, what a set!  This is an unbelievable run of songs:  Thank You Too, Heartbreakin' Man, Laylow, Gideon, Librarian, Dondante, Smokin', Touch Pt. 2 into Run Thru.  Excelente!

Cuff

QuoteAnd now ack to the original topic.  Wow, what a set!  This is an unbelievable run of songs:  Thank You Too, Heartbreakin' Man, Laylow, Gideon, Librarian, Dondante, Smokin', Touch Pt. 2 into Run Thru.  Excelente!
thank you
im going to bed

aMillionDreams

QuoteHey guys, I'm going to see the Rolling Stones, but could somebody tell Mick that I find most of his material boring and I only want to hear a 40 minute set (no longer but shorter would be great!) of only MY favorite songs by them and if I don't get it, I'm going to flame them on the internet.

but i don't have a wheelchair to sit on... :'(

Well, you might want to look into because you obviously have a problem.