22/1/09 The Metro, Sydney Australia

Started by alexcho, Jan 22, 2009, 08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

QuoteI think you're obligated to stay around since this thread alone boosted your status to Junior Member
nice, but people having issues with me this early on?? the future doesn't look bright haha

some have said that the difference between the oldsters and us young ones is that oldsters could get along fine with people of varying politicial positions, but us young'ns refuse to associate with anyone who disagrees with that.

as someone whose political views piss on the shoes of just about everyone, i make a point to not be a young'n.

Also, a long time ago after a NYC show I complained that the show had lacked some energy and it drew some ire, understandably. I just thought that Off the Record sounded slow. Whatever. People are still nice to me, or they forgot.
I'm surrounded by assholes

goose

Dear Cuff,

I believe you need to re-evaluate your situation.  You know by coming on this board you are surrounded by people who love this band.  By signing up, you know what you are getting into.  If I went on a Microsoft thread and tlaked about apple do you think people would get pissed at me?  of course.  I believe you have a right to your opinions, but you voiced them at the wrong time and place.  All of us here love to see this band live, and are awaiting updates on how great these shows are (i.e. Cobra w/Run thru and Hell).  You should know in your mind that your comment would upset people.  which, IN MY OPION, I think you already knew.  If you want to make a statement like this in the future, start a blog somewhere, or become a critic for a publication.

Truly a fan,
Goose
Hooked on four like one, two, three

Ruckus

QuoteThank you My Morning Jacket, what a glorious racket!!!

Set List for those interested:

Heartbreakin' Man
Mahgeetah
Laylow
Gideon
Librarian
Dondante
Smokin' from Shootin'
Touch Me Pt.2
Cobra Into-----
---Middle of Run Thru

Wordless Chorus
Highly Suspicious
Phone Went West
I Think I'm Going to Hell
Anytime
One Big Holiday

Cheers,
Alex Cho

That's about as good a 16 song finish as one could ask for IMHO :o
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

tannisroot

QuoteDear Cuff,
 All of us here love to see this band live, and are awaiting updates on how great these shows are (i.e. Cobra w/Run thru and Hell).  

Um, I don't see what the big deal is or why you all are hating on this Cuff guy.  Why can't you put yourself in his shoes?  While I would be more than happy with a 2.5-3 hour show by MMJ, I can see how someone might thing that's too long for a band to play, but still enjoy it for the most part.

I've only seen MMJ twice so far (in 2004 & 2008) but from looking at setlists and listening online I know that there setlists tend to be pretty similar night to night, and that the quality is pretty consistent throughout. I know, folks will argue that the shows differ significantly and some are much better (then could you also say worse???) than others, but the truth is that they the band doesn't do a whole lot of improvising and there are a lot of songs that are almost guaranteed to be in the setlist (Golden, One Big Holiday, Anytime, The Way That He Sings, etc. etc. etc.) and these songs are pretty much played the same way each time.

By saying "we are all waiting to hear how great the shows were" you leave no room for them not to be great.  What you're saying is that it's a given that shows are going to be great.  Maybe the show Cuff attended was a "great" one that I lot of people found boring mid-way thru.

I saw a regular stop on the Evil Urges tour this September.  From looking at other setlists on from the tour I could have pretty much wrote out the setlist for the night in advance and gotten it 80-90% correct.  I could have also had a pretty good idea of how the songs were going to sound and how they were going to be played.  Because I hadn't seen them in a long time at that point I didn't dwell on these facts.

But the truth is that MMJ has a formula which is supposed to equate to a great show every single time...so perhaps it's also a formula which gets old after a while.  If I was seeing them live quite a bit I reckon' I might tire of hearing the same songs every night played in almost the same order at the same points in the show.  If that were the case, I would come to the conclusion that it's OK if they don't get to EVERY classic song in their repertoire over the course of an evening.  Maybe trimming it to a solid, jamming, inspired, fresh, unique 2 hour set would be better.  Using the Phish formula...improvise a little more, vary the setlists widely, do special covers - for every show and not just so called special ones.  Then checking to see how great, or not great, a show was would make more sense.

Anyway I think people are being really rude to a guy who gave an honest opinion about his perspective on a show.  

Sassbox

I can definitely see how a new fan (or one who is not terribly familiar with their material) might find a three-hour show a bit long.  

And I agree about the rude comments.  The guy stated his opinion respectfully and I think we're all just insanely jealous we couldn't be there to endure that set!  ;D
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

kydiddle

QuoteI can definitely see how a new fan (or one who is not terribly familiar with their material) might find a three-hour show a bit long.  

And I agree about the rude comments.  The guy stated his opinion respectfully and I think we're all just insanely jealous we couldn't be there to endure that set!  ;D

I agree with the jealousy part. Reading that setlist made my stomach turn a little bit, because it was so flipping awesome.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and with that out of the way...COME ON!!! Who complains about having to stand for 2 hours and 45 minutes during a My Morning Jacket concert?

Do some freaking calisthenics before the show or just buy a Jazzy and sit in the wheelchair section, but don't come on this board and have one of your first comments be how they played too long.

Good grief.
Cow temperature.

ycartrob

seriously, I have never heard of someone saying they felt a MMJ show was too long.

Movies? yes
Dates? yes
Trainings? hell yes!
Jail sentences? yes
Airplane rides? yes
Sermons? yes

But a MMJ show?

I saw Secret Machines headline with Kings of Leon and I thought they played too long b/c I didn't like their sound; but, out of respect for those who love them, I didn't go to the fan's web site to put my 2- cents in.

Again, there's no crying in rock n' roll.

OK, bye

goose

Quoteseriously, I have never heard of someone saying they felt a MMJ show was too long.

I saw Secret Machines headline with Kings of Leon and I thought they played too long b/c I didn't like their sound; but, out of respect for those who love them, I didn't go to the fan's web site to put my 2- cents in.

That is exaclty what I was trying to say.  State your opinion elsewhere.
Hooked on four like one, two, three

aMillionDreams

I may have been a little rude, but the guy had it coming as almost everyone has said.  The guy defending Cuff actually took the opposite standpoint.  Tannisroot was complaining because they play some of the same songs every show.  Cuff was complaining because he only wanted to hear those songs and not the boring "filler" songs.  Cuff also didn't like how they "dragged" songs on while tannisroot did.  So I'm not sure who you're defending, tannis.  I'm all about voicing your opinion, but if you come on a band site to say that their concerts are boring, expect for there to be some opinions coming at you.

I actually understand why people would like for the jacket to switch up their setlists more, but I don't begin to understand someone who complains about a show being too long.  That's MY opinion.  

The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

alexcho

Whoa!

The concert was billed "An Evening with MMJ" - That meant a long set. No support act.  Perhaps Cuff was not made aware of this and hence wasn't prepared.

Also, the crowd wasn't getting bored; they were just being rude & noisy over the quieter parts.  Same thing happened at the Spiritualized concert I went to last week.  Why people feel the need to talk over bands I'm not sure... Does this only happen in Sydney??  >:(

I wonder how many there were music lovers let alone actual fans.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and had a blast!  What a way to end my 2-weeks holiday!!!

PS. 3 concerts in 2 weeks (How absolutely indulgent!!!):  Grace Jones, Spiritualized, MMJ

Dongrungio

As a "new" fan that has dove headlong into MMJ, I can't understand this perspective about a show being too long.

My first show ever was at Red Rocks in August and I didn't know half of the songs.  Christ - I didn't even know until ACL how awesome War Begun was and I heard the damn song live that night.  

Granted I kept myself busy by doing football stadium stair flight ascensions to appease my weak ass bladder, so that filled some time.  But honestly, what value was added by making the comment?

Maybe next time they will play OBH, Anytime 1-2 and you can just leave after 15 minutes.

el_chode

Quoteseriously, I have never heard of someone saying they felt a MMJ show was too long.

Movies? yes
Dates? yes
Trainings? hell yes!
Jail sentences? yes
Airplane rides? yes
Sermons? yes

But a MMJ show?

OK, bye

I had the same sentiments at that same concert, except I couldn't tell if it was me or the fact that I was dying for KOL to come out

Minneapolis to Kentucky

Wow Dongrungio!  You must have one weak bladder!  That is too bad...is it the size of a walnut?  I kid, I kid.  

You are the prime example of a great new fan!  Welcome!

tannisroot

I see what you're saying aMillionDreams.  The kinda show that I'm looking for might have appealed to Cuff even less.  Luckily I have Phish to fill that void coming up soon.  MMJ concerts are long because they're trying to get to all of these classic songs...and the list is getting longer and longer.  Although I would never want them to truncate any instrumental parts or sections just to get to the next song on the set list.  And if a few key songs are left out due to an inspired, impromptu jam, then that ain't so bad.  Ultimately it's not so much about the songs that they play but how they play them.

On another note, I would like to see Phish cover an MMJ song with lots of jamming potential, such as Off the Record, and really take it out there on a looonnnngggg exploratory jam.  It wouldn't be in MMJ's best interest to do this, and I'd rather leave this type of improv to the improv masters, because MMJ's strengths lie elsewhere.  But Phish has paid tribute to other contemporary bands before, and they always seem to have a good perspective on the essence of the song, so I'd like to see what the could do with some MMJ material.  

Dongrungio

Minneapolis to Kentucky is a huge My Chemical Romance fan...poser.

Minneapolis to Kentucky

Isn't that what band this forum is for?

el_chode

Personally, I think they should leave a few classics out every show, that way you never know what you're gonna get. My Morning Jacket is like a box of choc---aw nevermind, I screwed it up.

Sometimes, the anticipation of going to a show and wondering "hey, are they gonna play __________?" is half the fun,because when you hear the mellow keys of Tyrone come in or the bang of War Begun or when Steam Engine hits you all at once, the rush is so strong it could give a girl a boner.

Also, from a pure marketing perspective, it keeps your customers coming back for more.

weeniebeenie

Oh. Man!!!!!

There was no way the show was too long. MMJ usually play long setlists (we got Pats!!!!!! And I got one of Carl's picks) so what would make someone think that just because they're in a country where they're not as popular they'll play for a shorter amount of time?
It said "An Evening With..." on the ticket!!!

The band seemed like they were having a really good time whether the crowd were into it or not (I didn't notice or care). They smiled a lot.
I couldn't believe they opened with At Dawn an then it just kept getting better. Cobra/Run Thru!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o 8-)
Phone Went West!!!!!! :D (That was my face the whole night).

We waited around after for a little while but the security said that they had left.
I will post some pics soon but I have to go to Big Day Out now.

P.s.Carl should put "I Melt Faces" under skills on his Resume.
How loud can silence get?

El Ciervo

What an awesome night :D

MMJ put on one hell of a performance, it was relentless and we loved every minute of it. As far as it being a bit long, i can understand that peoples feet might get sore or whatever, but it did say on the ticket that MMJ were doing 2 sets. Can't say you weren't warned. ;)

Also, alex we spoke before the show about people talking and shouting during the quiet bits. It's annoying to see so many people get into that habit of turning around and having a chat with their mates during the quieter parts of a song. There's nothing wrong with being loud and enjoying yourself, but try to keep the shouted conversations for out at the bar.  ::)

Other than that it was a good crowd and everyone had fun. I walked away with one of Jim's picks so i'm happy. What a kickass show :)

Emma

what a fantastic night! I loved every minute of it. From where I was standing the crowd were totally in to it. I went with a couple of friends who'd never heard their music before, both walked away totally impressed and new fans. Great fun all round, hope they come back soon!