Getting texts from front row at Preservation Hall

Started by alexzbik, Apr 25, 2010, 01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where2Begin

Always startin' over but somehow I always know where to begin.

Sassbox

God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

AMightyCaporal

Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

Guy Whitey Corngood

QuoteThis is probably going to come off like some awful hateration, but I can't believe someone was lucky enough to be sitting in the front row of that show...and could tear their eyes away from the stage long enough to send a text.   ;D

Congrats all who were able to get in, that must have been an amazing experience!

If that rubs you the wrong way, then you definitely won't be a fan of what a lot of us witnessed that night.  

I was among a handful of fans that listened to the show at Preservation Hall from just outside the windows and shutters behind the stage, and there were a couple of cracks/holes/tiny windows that gave us a small glimpse into the hall.  Through one of these cracks I had a clear shot of a lady asleep/passed out on some dude's shoulder for pretty much the entire show.  

I keep trying to convince myself that it was just a case of her being so completely overwhelmed by the music and the setting that she had to lean on that person for support and that her eyes were closed only to enhance her listening experience.  

Because I swear, If there really was someone in there sleeping through that then I just might be forced to lose all faith in mankind.

Ruckus

QuoteThis is probably going to come off like some awful hateration, but I can't believe someone was lucky enough to be sitting in the front row of that show...and could tear their eyes away from the stage long enough to send a text.   ;D

Congrats all who were able to get in, that must have been an amazing experience!

[highlight]If that rubs you the wrong way, then you definitely won't be a fan of what a lot of us witnessed that night.  
[/highlight]
I was among a handful of fans that listened to the show at Preservation Hall from just outside the windows and shutters behind the stage, and there were a couple of cracks/holes/tiny windows that gave us a small glimpse into the hall.  Through one of these cracks I had a clear shot of a lady asleep/passed out on some dude's shoulder for pretty much the entire show.  

I keep trying to convince myself that it was just a case of her being so completely overwhelmed by the music and the setting that she had to lean on that person for support and that her eyes were closed only to enhance her listening experience.  

Because I swear, If there really was someone in there sleeping through that then I just might be forced to lose all faith in mankind.

::)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

dragonboy

Well said ALady. I really don't get all this texting/twittering from shows. If I ever find myself doing this then hopefully they'll be someone nearby with the good sense to give me a much needed slap.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

BH

Well said ALady. I really don't get all this texting/twittering from shows. If I ever find myself doing this then hopefully they'll be someone nearby with the good sense to give me a much needed slap.

AMEN!  Soak it in people.  These magical moments only happen once in awhile.   Don't be so eager to "tell the whole world what you are experiencing".  There will be plenty of time for that later.

If you insist on it, than this is what the text should say,,,,,

Yo!  Wassup man!  Guess what I'm doing right at this very moment!  Give up?  I'm texting you!  Believe it!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

arudy

MMJ is my favorite band and over the past 6 years I have seen some incredible shows (TLA/ E-Factory/ Festival Pier in Philadelphia to Radio City/ Beacon/ Roseland/ MSG in NYC to '06 Bonnarroo set to Watefront in Louisville, Avalon in Boston,  etc.......)

My point being is that I was sitting in the 1st row at PH and I did take the time (about 90 seconds total for the whole show) to send my best friend (and HUGE MMJ fan) text messages of the set. It was the least I could do for a pal who wasn't lucky enough to be there. I can honestly say that texting for the 1st couple of seconds of each song did not take anything away from my experience at all and i'm pretty sure it made my friend's night (which makes it worth it for me). I enjoyed every single moment. This was the best concert experience of my life hands down. I will never forget marching/ dancing in the FQ at 3am behind PHJB for as long as I live.

Also, i'm pretty sure no one was sleeping at this show. I looked through those cracks in front of PH while we were waiting in line and you couldn't see anything to clearly.

Please don't hate. Just about every single person in PH was taking pictures or videos so they can have those memories forever and b/c of these people, everyone who wasn't there now have an idea of how special this night was.

Glad to see they changed the set up last night... I hope they will dig a little deeper into their catalog for MPP on Saturday. Can't wait!!!!!
This feeling is wonderful, don't you ever let it out.

Ruckus

QuoteMMJ is my favorite band and over the past 6 years I have seen some incredible shows (TLA/ E-Factory/ Festival Pier in Philadelphia to Radio City/ Beacon/ Roseland/ MSG in NYC to '06 Bonnarroo set to Watefront in Louisville, Avalon in Boston,  etc.......)

My point being is that I was sitting in the 1st row at PH and I did take the time (about 90 seconds total for the whole show) to send my best friend (and HUGE MMJ fan) text messages of the set. It was the least I could do for a pal who wasn't lucky enough to be there. I can honestly say that texting for the 1st couple of seconds of each song did not take anything away from my experience at all and i'm pretty sure it made my friend's night (which makes it worth it for me). I enjoyed every single moment. This was the best concert experience of my life hands down. I will never forget marching/ dancing in the FQ at 3am behind PHJB for as long as I live.

Also, i'm pretty sure no one was sleeping at this show. I looked through those cracks in front of PH while we were waiting in line and you couldn't see anything to clearly.

Please don't hate. Just about every single person in PH was taking pictures or videos so they can have those memories forever and b/c of these people, everyone who wasn't there now have an idea of how special this night was.

Glad to see they changed the set up last night... I hope they will dig a little deeper into their catalog for MPP on Saturday. Can't wait!!!!!

Well said ARudy.  Clearly there is a wide range of perspectives regarding this relatively new technology and the culture surrounding it.  I feel that only incessant texting and chatting is what drives people nuts.  I'm glad you made your friend and die hard Jacket fan have a great night and it sucks that you have to justify yourself.  No need man. :)

EDIT:  I for one am too damn slow a texter to even try. ;D
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

aMillionDreams

AMEN!  Soak it in people.  These magical moments only happen once in awhile.   Don't be so eager to "tell the whole world what you are experiencing".  There will be plenty of time for that later.

If you insist on it, than this is what the text should say,,,,,

Yo!  Wassup man!  Guess what I'm doing right at this very moment!  Give up?  I'm texting you!  Believe it!

I agree. I've never written down a setlist, taken a picture, or a video or anything that would take away from the experience.  That said, I'm so glad someone taped that version of St. James Infirmary!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

BH

Arudy, I was no way directing my post at you but just in general.  I was happy as hell to get your updates don't get me wrong.  But I've seriously seen people (many many times) spend the whole show using their phone in one way or another.  I just don't understand.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

AMightyCaporal

its fair to say that everyone enjoys experiences differently and remembers things differently.  Some people like to take photgraphs or videos, some like to call their friends or relatives and hold the phone in the air to catch the music, some like to take in the whole experience and let it pass without any physical documentation besides a ticket stub.  If the way someone enjoys a show doesn't infringe on the way you do, who are you to judge them?

One of the things I've enjoyed most about being a part of this forum community is to see how people show their love and excitement for MMJ.  Whether its taking photographs like Kory, or making spread sheets like BH, or obtaining rare artifacts and knowing so much about the band and music and everything MMJ like Dylan, or using technology to show appreciation and sharing their own experiences like JohnnyYAC, or recently, like SaraBananaBear- getting every piece of information out in the world and sharing it here.  There are so many different ways to enjoy this band each of them unique to the individual because thats who they are and thats how they show appreciation for something they love as much as this band.

Rambling? Maybe, but like I said, who are we to judge how someone enjoys the show?  As long as it doesn't infringe on you- let it be yo!

CAPORAL OUT!  ;)
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

Sassbox

Right on, AMC.

I'd like to add that the people using flash at Preservation Hall were just plain inconsiderate. It was distracting to me and certainly had to be distracting to the band.
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

SaraBananaBear

Quoteits fair to say that everyone enjoys experiences differently and remembers things differently.  Some people like to take photgraphs or videos, some like to call their friends or relatives and hold the phone in the air to catch the music, some like to take in the whole experience and let it pass without any physical documentation besides a ticket stub.  If the way someone enjoys a show doesn't infringe on the way you do, who are you to judge them?

One of the things I've enjoyed most about being a part of this forum community is to see how people show their love and excitement for MMJ.  Whether its taking photographs like Kory, or making spread sheets like BH, or obtaining rare artifacts and knowing so much about the band and music and everything MMJ like Dylan, or using technology to show appreciation and sharing their own experiences like JohnnyYAC, or recently, like SaraBananaBear- getting every piece of information out in the world and sharing it here.  There are so many different ways to enjoy this band each of them unique to the individual because thats who they are and thats how they show appreciation for something they love as much as this band.

Rambling? Maybe, but like I said, who are we to judge how someone enjoys the show?  As long as it doesn't infringe on you- let it be yo!

CAPORAL OUT!  ;)

Brilliant as always, I agree with everything said and yay on being mentioned   8-)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

AMightyCaporal

QuoteRight on, AMC.

I'd like to add that the people using flash at Preservation Hall were just plain inconsiderate. It was distracting to me and certainly had to be distracting to the band.

yea thats true- people just don't understand how to use their camera's.  That coupled with not understanding that flashes are a big distraction- i'm sure they don't mean to be annoying- for the most part...

ALady

I hope no one really felt bad about my earlier "hateration" - I was just kidding around for the most part, trying to wrap my lil' noggin around these new technological advancements, certainly not trying to judge how someone else enjoys a show.  I know some folks who have really good cameras and love nothing more than framing a concert through that lens.  Can't imagine how anyone would begrudge them that.  But man, when you're in the room with Danny Clinch...I think he's got it covered   ;D ;)

But then, who doesn't love seeing those first pics come back from a show, no matter how grainy?  It's a catch-22.

Björk has an interesting camera policy:

Be aware that cameras and mobile phones can be disturbing to both the musicians and your fellow concertgoers, with screens lighting up and arms blocking views, so please be respectful and try to just enjoy the moment with the people on stage and around you rather than preoccupying yourselves with various forms of documentation.

In a way I think it's strange how our culture has evolved along with technology...feeling that we have to share everything immediately...perhaps to the point where we've forgotten how to just be.

Anyway, not trying to hate, more like...trying to understand, trying to open up a dialogue.  

Can't wait till MPP you guys!  Peace   :)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires