"no shows booked at this time"

Started by ms_yvon, Nov 01, 2010, 03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j_rud

You could be right but I can't see them not touring the new album, even if its just a dozen shows. They took a good bit of time off after the Evil Urges tour in 08 and only played a handful of shows in 09. In comparison to recent years 2010 wasn't a heavy touring year either.  I think over the next 6 months they'll finish the album and do their own things as well but I think they'll be ready to go come summer. At least I hope so.  I need an excuse to come back to Louisville...
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

BadManFromCA

I kept hoping they'd return to San Francisco for a proper show.  Outside Lands was great but it left me wanting more.

Hopefully we'll get a night or 2 at the Greek after the new album comes out.

ALady

I never understand why folks are so anxious to kill off the Jacket.

I hate to bring up the Pearl Jam comparison yet again, but that's a band that has survived solo projects, side projects, weddings, divorces, and births, and shows no signs of stopping after 20 years. If anything, those side projects contribute to the health of the band - it offers the members a creative outlet outside the main event.

It's funny - when PJ played 5 shows at the Spectrum last year, I don't think I heard one person say "oh shit, that must be it for Pearl Jam".  Touring is a cyclical thing, and it follows a very predictable pattern for most bands.  

Yes, it will be a while until we see them again, but I'd bet money on tour dates next summer.  If I'm wrong about this I'll happily eat crow, but the boys seem to be having the time of their lives up there.  If they're unhappy enough to call it quits, they're certainly hiding it well.

I'm sorry to rant, but the fatalistic speculation always rubs me the wrong way.  
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

woodnymph

QuoteI never understand why folks are so anxious to kill off the Jacket.

I hate to bring up the Pearl Jam comparison yet again, but that's a band that has survived solo projects, side projects, weddings, divorces, and births, and shows no signs of stopping after 20 years. If anything, those side projects contribute to the health of the band - it offers the members a creative outlet outside the main event.

It's funny - when PJ played 5 shows at the Spectrum last year, I don't think I heard one person say "oh shit, that must be it for Pearl Jam".  Touring is a cyclical thing, and it follows a very predictable pattern for most bands.  

Yes, it will be a while until we see them again, but I'd bet money on tour dates next summer.  If I'm wrong about this I'll happily eat crow, but the boys seem to be having the time of their lives up there.  If they're unhappy enough to call it quits, they're certainly hiding it well.

Amen!! Well I was just feeling and thinking about the same! You've worded it wonderfully! The Pearl Jam comparisons are just right on target too  8-) Just wanted to second that emotion!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

mahg33ta

Quote I wouldn't expect them to tour behind the new album...

that seems like a really odd prediction, counter to 99.9% of the typical music industry pattern.

kydiddle

Quote I wouldn't expect them to tour behind the new album...

that seems like a really odd prediction, counter to 99.9% of the typical music industry pattern.

Exactly. They could never get away with putting out a new album and skipping a tour.
Cow temperature.

midwesterner

This really is the worst time when there are no shows to look forward to but it was a great year for MMJ. Some really special shows this year.

bold992006

yeah I don't get it...its like people think they are going to quit or something.  It makes 100% no sense.  There are no shows because they are trying to make an album.  Once the album out they will tour.  It is common sense.  You don't work to get the top and then quit unless there are some band issue and they don't get along with does not seem like the case here.   Also record companies don't give you money to make an album and then no tour to promote it.  They all have side projects and other things going on but they know what is the bread and butter.  Without MMJ there would be no side projects.

I agree with Alady..its like because they put on some great shows they have nothing left to give?  that is the strangest thing i've ever heard.  This is what they do for a living.  One million other bands do the same thing.

ynwa

QuoteI never understand why folks are so anxious to kill off the Jacket.

EXACTLY.  i don't quite understand what type of logic is being followed to think that the band is going to bow out at this stage.  and i 100% agree that the side projects are healthy.  it's like every type of relationship - you need your own space to do your own thing in order to keep growing.  otherwise, it gets stagnant & trouble ensues.

can't wait for the new album... AND TOUR  ;)

"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

ALady

QuoteThis really is the worst time when there are no shows to look forward to but it was a great year for MMJ. Some really special shows this year.

This is probably the thing to focus on here.  We've been very lucky this year - MMJ has treated us really well!
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

walterfredo

QuoteI kept hoping they'd return to San Francisco for a proper show.  Outside Lands was great but it left me wanting more.

Hopefully we'll get a night or 2 at the Greek after the new album comes out.

yes please.  Or the Oakland Fox or the Fillmore.  

I agree that it will be a while before we see them doing a full tour, but next summer isn't too far out of the realm of reality (I hope)

mahg33ta

QuoteThis really is the worst time when there are no shows to look forward to but it was a great year for MMJ. Some really special shows this year.

This is probably the thing to focus on here.  We've been very lucky this year - MMJ has treated us really well!

That's the bottom line.   It's been a great year.     If T5 had been 6 days, or 7 days, or 8 days... would it have been better?   (you all would probably say yes!  :D) But it has to stop sometime.   I'm content and happy to rest up for next time.

Tracy 3000

Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

e_wind

I definitely think we'll see a summer 11 tour, with a couple festivals. However, someone told me that Pat said he's not going to be able to put forth the amount of time he is now to Jacket, because of wifey and he wants a family. Thats just a rumor and who knows the truth behind it. If Jacket came and threw a new album at us, did a 10 show tour and a few festivals next summer than didn't do anything for awhile... I would be okay with that. When the new record comes out though, I see them doing some international shows as well. What I love about the fact that there will be down time in the future is that I am not-so-patiently waiting for an original  Yim Yame album. MMJ's rock n roll ballads are amazing, and make them who they are live, but I'm more likely to throw on Acoustic Chorale, Acoutic Citsouca, MoF, or TTF in my car than anything professionally recorded. I can picture YY solo full length having awesome colaberations and just being out of this world. Some Cosmic Rebel Soul shit...  ;). Hell maybe we'll even see some new MoF material. I love MMJ shows more than anything in the world, and more than I'll ever love my wife or kids in the future... but downtimes aren't bad.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Love Dogg

QuoteI definitely think we'll see a summer 11 tour, with a couple festivals. However, someone told me that Pat said he's not going to be able to put forth the amount of time he is now to Jacket, because of wifey and he wants a family. Thats just a rumor and who knows the truth behind it. If Jacket came and threw a new album at us, did a 10 show tour and a few festivals next summer than didn't do anything for awhile... I would be okay with that. When the new record comes out though, I see them doing some international shows as well. What I love about the fact that there will be down time in the future is that I am not-so-patiently waiting for an original  Yim Yame album. MMJ's rock n roll ballads are amazing, and make them who they are live, but I'm more likely to throw on Acoustic Chorale, Acoutic Citsouca, MoF, or TTF in my car than anything professionally recorded. I can picture YY solo full length having awesome colaberations and just being out of this world. Some Cosmic Rebel Soul shit...  ;). Hell maybe we'll even see some new MoF material. [highlight]I love MMJ shows more than anything in the world, and more than I'll ever love my wife or kids in the future...[/highlight] but downtimes aren't bad.

Man...I sure hope she doesn't read that!

I see what you're saying though.  I hope you're right.  I just wanted to throw that out there for thought.   ;)
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

e_wind

QuoteI definitely think we'll see a summer 11 tour, with a couple festivals. However, someone told me that Pat said he's not going to be able to put forth the amount of time he is now to Jacket, because of wifey and he wants a family. Thats just a rumor and who knows the truth behind it. If Jacket came and threw a new album at us, did a 10 show tour and a few festivals next summer than didn't do anything for awhile... I would be okay with that. When the new record comes out though, I see them doing some international shows as well. What I love about the fact that there will be down time in the future is that I am not-so-patiently waiting for an original  Yim Yame album. MMJ's rock n roll ballads are amazing, and make them who they are live, but I'm more likely to throw on Acoustic Chorale, Acoutic Citsouca, MoF, or TTF in my car than anything professionally recorded. I can picture YY solo full length having awesome colaberations and just being out of this world. Some Cosmic Rebel Soul shit...  ;). Hell maybe we'll even see some new MoF material. [highlight]I love MMJ shows more than anything in the world, and more than I'll ever love my wife or kids in the future...[/highlight] but downtimes aren't bad.

Man...I sure hope she doesn't read that!

I see what you're saying though.  I hope you're right.  I just wanted to throw that out there for thought.   ;)
Haha I worded that poorly, I don't have kids OR a wife... So it's okay for me to say it.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

AlwxanderD10

the next mmj show will be in wales.

SaraBananaBear

Quotethe next mmj show will be in wales Sweden.

Yes, Sweden indeed  ;)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket