The 20 Most Rock & Roll Towns in the U.S.A.

Started by admin, May 27, 2003, 07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CC

From Blender Magazine:

The 20 Most Rock & Roll Towns in the U.S.A.!
Blender sampled the drinks at 112 bars, browsed the used vinyl at 81 record stores, mooched more drinks at 95 clubs and stomached 47 late-night burritos (burp). But it was all to bring you the definitive guide to the 20 most rock & roll towns in America. Now will someone please call a doctor!

[size=16]LOUISVILLE, KY

[/size]
Smokers, drinkers and alt-country: Welcome to Kentucky!

Hard livers enter paradise when they get to Louisville. Tobacco is the state leaf, marijuana is its largest cash crop, and Kentuckians like their Maker's Mark bourbon. This is, after all, the birthplace of the celebrated hedonistic journalist Hunter S. Thompson. "You can't throw a rock in any direction without hitting a bar or liquor store," says Bob Nastanovich, Pavement's former multi-instrumentalist and a 10-year resident of Louisville who owns thoroughbred racehorses.

Although a blotto-friendly lifestyle is perennial in "the 'Ville," youth culture comes and goes. "After five years with not much going on here, it's come around again," Nastanovich says. "There's a vibrant band scene, you can live cheaply and you have all the time in the world. It's definitely a good town for reprobates."

Once a hotbed of hardcore punk and indie-rock, Louisville has swung heavily toward alt-country, says Randy Bolton, a manager at landmark record superstore Ear X-Tacy: "Bands here are now into blues and country records from the '20s and '30s."

Alt-country faves like Second Story Man and Digby play in the ratty venues on and around Bardstown Road. This two-mile stretch of restaurants, thrift stores, guitar stores and bars spans the Highlands neighborhood, which boasts beautiful turn-of-the-century homes.

Nationally known natives Palace, My Morning Jacket and VHS or Beta hold triumphant homecoming gigs at Headliners. Three blocks east of Bardstown, behind the Cave Hill Cemetery, the venue is the signal tour stop for acts like Mogwai and Hank Williams III.

Louisville abuts the Midwest but has Southern traits. It's a sore point. Students, alt-rock scene lifers and East End preppies share one thing: No one wants to be seen as a redneck. But Nastanovich notes that Louisville offers "a heaping helping of Southern-ness. People are sensitive about their accents, but visitors are charmed. That's what they talk about as they pack their trunk full of booze, cigs and weed."

ESSENTIAL LOUISVILLE
Population About 700,000 (It's the sixteenth-largest city in the U.S.)
Neighbors The retired Ford Plant autoworker who reeks of Marlboro cigarettes; the slumming East End princess who depends on that monthly check from Mom and Dad.
Where to live One- to three-room apartments can be rented for $400 to $450 along Storey Avenue in Germantown, directly east of downtown.
Best record store Ear X-Tacy (1534 Bardstown). Bumper stickers from this superstore have been spotted all around the world. Also try Underground Sounds (2003 Highland).
Drink at Red Lounge (2106 Frankfort); Magnolia Bar (1398 South 2nd); The Back Door (Mid-City Mall, 1250 Bardstown); Freddie's (220 West Broadway); Seidenfaden Cafe (1134 East Breckinridge). Drink either Maker's Mark bourbon or Falls City Beer — or leave town immediately.
Eat at Lynn's Paradise Cafe (984 Barrett). "Everyone loves the walnut-crusted chicken," according to manager Kristin Phillips.
Shop at Fashionistas patronize Unique Thrift Store (1617 Carter).
Talk like a native: Never, ever say "Lou-EE-ville." It has to be "Lou-UH-vull."

To see the rest of our nation's most rockin' towns, and to discover the lamest, least rockin', pick up the May issue of Blender

peanut butter puddin surprise

This sounds like someone who lives here wrote it!  Holy crap did they hit the nail on the head or what...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Oz

I´d say we organise a trip, on wich we, Dutch and Belgian fans, all go together on a holiday to Louisville. I mean, I have to go there!  :)
I'm ready when you are

peanut butter puddin surprise

I hereby volunteer my humble abode for guest accomodations.

Gene, that means come down soon as the house is fit for company!

I can handle about 3-4 folks, provided some of you sleep on floors.  I have a couch and a fouton, and one bathroom, but the kitchen now works so we can have pancakes for breakfast!  ;D

Oh, and my backyard is great for camping, so I guess I can sleep more than 4 if some are into camping.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

jezebel

yes, even if it is _Blender_, i still beam with pride.  ;D never knew the back door had made it into the hip realm...guess i've been out of town a bit too long if it's making the short list with the (hacccchhhh) red lounge and the mag bar.  

calling digby alt-country seems quite the stretch, i must say...

east end princesses...that's hilarious.

damn, i loooooove louisville.