Question about shows on ftp site

Started by fakeplasticSpivey, Sep 21, 2003, 12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fakeplasticspivey

Got a question for anyone who could help!

I dont know a thing about computers or how to use them.  If I went to the ftp server to get a show, how long would it take for me to download that show??  I'm runnning a 56k dial up... :(  
Also, once I've downloaded them can I burn them to a cd??

I'm so confused ???

Thanks!!

Spivey

igor

a 56k dial up will take you awhile to get shows. not really sure how long, but i would think it's gonna be between 12-48 hours depending on how big the files/folder is.

shows in mp3 format are smaller usually 60k-100k big(depending on the length of the show and the sound quality 128kbps-256kbps), shows in shn format can be between 400k-900k(depends on the length of the show).

mp3 files are lossy audio compression (when compressing audio, some frequencies are just dropped off/ignored/not captured during compression)
shn files - lots of traders prefer this type as it preserves or retains the quality without losing much of the audio freq.

with mp3s, you can easily use your cd burning software and make an audio cd off those files. with shn files, you will need plenty of drive space as those files are big, and a software that will convert shn files to wav files. i posted some links on how to get started on shn.

i hope that helps, if all else fails send me an e-mail @ batibot123@yahoo.com.

fakeplasticspivey

thanks for the help Igor...  I just can't tie up my phone line for that long as I live with other people  :(

Does anyone here trade shows on cd??  I don't have any MMJ shows to trade but I do have a bunch of Radiohead shows and one Sigur Ros show, plus a bunch of Beatles bootlegs.

If anyone is interested, please email me.  fakeplasticSpivey@yahoo.com

Again, thanks for the explanation Igor!!