Guilty pleasures

Started by MMJ_fanatic, Aug 16, 2004, 04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJ_fanatic

OK, not sure if this thread has come up before but I haven't looked through all 1308.  Time to spill your guts!  Tell us your secret recreational activities 8).  I already know JC has the penchant for Canadian metal ;).  Whats your bag?  I like watching people fry the tires off their hot rods at cruise nights and occasionally listen to "Knee Deep in The Hoopla" by Starship :-[.  Remember! confession is good for the soul...
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

sweatboard

When I was twelve years old I owned every single Rick Springfield album and had seen Hard to Hold multiple times.  I saw him live a couple of years ago and I loved it. What is interesting is at the same time I was obssesed with Rick Springfield, I owned every single Motley Crue Record, I had a tee-shirt that I traced the pentagram from the Shout at the Devil album cover with a black magic marker on.  I also had those fingerless gloves, and I wrote "CRUE" with the uummmlout (You know, those two dots above the U) on the velcro fastener part.  So I was basically into romantic longing and worshipping the Devil in seventh grade.  
There's Still Time.........

SMc55

Quote So I was basically into romantic longing and worshipping the Devil in seventh grade.  

And now you're into the Pina Colada song. Not much change there then  ;)

wordawg

And now you're into the Pina Colada song. Not much change there then  ;)

Getting worse, if you ask me Dr. ;)
the future is Ginger

Garth69

I don't believe in guilty pleasures, myself. If you like something, why feel guilty about it? Why care what other people think? I liked Janet Jackson and Whitney Houston and George Michael in '86 but I don't feel guilty about it...not to mention Poison and Def Leppard. I'd listen to 'em all today, guilt-free.

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteI don't believe in guilty pleasures, myself. If you like something, why feel guilty about it? Why care what other people think? I liked Janet Jackson and Whitney Houston and George Michael in '86 but I don't feel guilty about it...not to mention Poison and Def Leppard. I'd listen to 'em all today, guilt-free.

Yes!  This is exactly what I've been thinking about guilty pleasures.  Everything is a matter of context:  those who would sneer at say, Iron Maiden don't understand the context of early 80s smallfuckville.  athens didn't even exist for me, nor did anything else they weren't playin' on the radio at the time...don't feel guilty, embrace the sheer power of all things Aldo Nova, Motley Crue, or even Level 42.  if you sit back and think about the context of those times, and the music that was "popular" then, it all makes sense. (for those of us old enough to have rode that ride ;))
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

SMc55

Maybe some of us do have guilty pleasures, but we're just not saying  ;)

MMJ_fanatic

ok, I like Level 42 and Nickelback--I even saw the latter in concert, there I said it!  btw, sweatboard, you'll be happy to know that the original Crue members are setting aside their differences and playing together.  maybe this has to do with the success of their respective solo projects ::)

sweatboard

Yeah, I don't know if you can pull off words like "Shout At The Devil" when you just finished wraping an episode of the sureal life. I mean how much of a bad ass can you really be when you and your "BOY" Nick Carter just got "Punked".  The Crue totally lost all thier mystyque.  When I was twelve I thought these guys were super human, it's sad to see what they have been reduced to.  I don't know that we should feel guilty, but it makes you think about the bullshit they feed us. "They" being "THE MAN".  It makes me think about how huge Kurt Cobain's impact really was.  I honestly don't think I would be listening to My Morinig Jacket right now If Nirvana had never exsisted.  I was one of those kids that would sit in front of the T.V. (Hot Pocket in hand) with my eyes peeled over my forehead trying to decipher what this world was Kurt Cobain was talking about.  This world that involved bands like Sonic Youth, The Melvins, etc. etc. I was watching the sureal life yesterday and Vanilla Ice was at a kareoke bar with his roommates when you guessed it, they decided to break out with "Ice Ice Baby".  The camera pans over to Vanilla and he's sitting there with this intense scowl on his face. Then they pan the crowd and they all have these big ass smiles on thier faces, screaming the lyrics at the top of their lungs.  Pan back over to a guy pleading for Vanilla to take the mic.  Watch as Vanilla's 4 foot thick concrete wall melts into putty, Mother Fucker takes the mic and absolutly rips it up.  Afterward Vanilla looked like someone had just peeled a 5000 pound weight off his back.  Point being, mabey Vince can scream "Shout at The Man" uh, I mean "The Devil", with some merit.        
There's Still Time.........

Zmog1974

Hey Prince was the man when i was growing up..the late 70's and 80's of course all went shit after that...i dont feel guilty the mans a legend...also think Dolly Parton the grass is blue album was pretty fine too. If you enjoy it buy it and listen. Otherwise we will end up like the NME who brainwash everyone in to liking middle of the road bands...because they have a decent haircut and of course they have to sell issues, its all hype...i shouldnt slag em to much as they have been pretty good to MMJ over here in England...but then quality always pulls through.

MMJ_fanatic

you've absolutely nothing to feel guilty about when you like Prince--he's like Hendrix v.2 ;)

SMc55

Sony are just releasing an album called Guilty Pleasures, featuring a set of incredibly naff songs that people, for some unaccountable reason, really like. My own favourite is Carole Bayer Sager's You're Moving Out Today.

I think whether you like certain songs often depends on what you were up to when they were being played rather than how 'good' the song is.

Some of the other songs are so uncool they're hot  8)

Not that I'd buy the album, you understand - wouldn't want anybody to see me with it  ;)

MMJ_fanatic

Some of the other songs are so uncool they're hot  8)

is Right Said Fred on there?  I love "I'm Too Sexy" its so smarmy!  ;) matter of fact it would be a hoot if the guys covered it some night  :D

katkillad

I'm in love with Sara Watkins ( of nickel creek ) and Jewel Kilcher.  I don't know if I feel guilty about it.  All my friends give me crap because they make fun of Jewel's teeth.  Sara isn't a stereotypical Hollywood supermodel.  I would pick sara over any famous person you could mention in show business...i get a lot of crap for that too.  I would marry either one of them and follow them around for the rest of my life.  I've got something for talented female vocalists apparently.

SMc55

is Right Said Fred on there?  I love "I'm Too Sexy" its so smarmy!  ;) matter of fact it would be a hoot if the guys covered it some night  :D

No it's not but it should be  :)

And I definately think the band should cover it  :D

TheMollusk

its obvious mmj fanatic is trying really hard to be nostalgic and 'hilarious'. good work, im laughing my ass off, really.