1975 or 1995?!?

Started by johnconaway, Dec 27, 2004, 07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

i'm about to rant about radio again...

listening to a lot of radio these days, i'm trying to figure out if the year is 1975 or 1995 as every song seems to be from either year.  alice in chains?!  bob seger?!

thoughts?
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Jellyfish

You listen to the radio?  ???

;)
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

QuoteYou listen to the radio?  ???

;)

yes, it's a tragedy...CD player.  broken in car.  arrrrrrrghhhhh!! the torture!

JacketGal

Thank goodnes they skipped 1985! You are right though, radio stations rely on the success of prior 'hits.' Very few will break out anything new, expecially by new artists! College radio is the way to go, imho.  
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

ah, 1985...REM was still an "underground" band, the B-52's were still in beehives, and my college station didn't play any of it.

too bad there's not any college station here in Louisville...hint hint oh powers that be

dogandponyshow

That is brutal not to have your disc player working.....here's a thought.  I assume you have a "walkman".  Go to Best Buy, Circiut City or any store of like those and buy a adaptor that fits into your lighter in your car and the headphone jack on your player.  Disc music once again.  If that doesn't work, roll your windows down and listen to the wind....better than the crap they play on the radio.

D.

man, I'm one step ahead of ya...I'm saying "fuck it" and investing a whopping $70 in a new system (gotta love pawn shops!)  I will NEVER suffer the slings and arrows of the radio!

Damn you radio!  Damn it all to hell!

thanks for the suggestion, tho-I had one, and the power cord died on me.  good thing it was only $20!

dogandponyshow

EC

QuoteI will NEVER suffer the slings and arrows of the radio!

Damn you radio!  Damn it all to hell!
My goodness Mr. JC Quotey-quotes!  (heh)

Well, after we had listened to At Dawn, Tennessee Fire and the new Shins album four times each (it was a long drive), we finally listened to the radio.  And yes.  It was either BTO or Nirvana.  Neil or Pearl Jam.  

Oh, and on the "new alternative" radio station, they play Greenday and some other bands that I'm not really into, and were forgettable enough that I didn't really pay attention.

We did hear Paradise City, which sparked a debate about the coolness of Slash.  (I love him.  LOVE him.  My brother thinks he's a good guitar player, but rates low on the coolness factor.  HELLO!  Have you SEEN his hair?)

MMJ_fanatic

one of the coolest things Slash has done was to appear as a guest on Space Ghost Coast to Coast on cartoon network  :)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

EC

Coooooool.  What did he play?

QuoteWe did hear Paradise City, which sparked a debate about the coolness of Slash.  (I love him.  LOVE him.  My brother thinks he's a good guitar player, but rates low on the coolness factor.  HELLO!  Have you SEEN his hair?)

muwahahaha!  "Paradise City" is supposedly about Louisville, what with Axl being from southern Indiana and all...

take me down to the Paradise City
where the GRASS  ;)  is green
and the girls are pretty...

and Slash is cool.  Hat and all.

EC

Really?  Louisville, eh?  I will have to venture down to this Paradise one of these days.  

It certainly DOES seem to have a lot going for it, even aside from birthing such a groovy band.

Hey, can we get some stats on Louisville?  How many people are there?  How big is it?  Are there a lot of malls?  Is it like Nashville, in that it's more spread out little pockets of things, or do you have a largish centre?  Is the music scene good in general?  What's the best venue?  What's the average temperature, or is it more seasonal?  Are people still into horse racing?  How many venues do you have for that kind of a thing?  Does anyone go, or is it more the older guys?  How many bourbon distilleries are there?

What kind of venues are available for swimming?

QuoteHey, can we get some stats on Louisville?  How many people are there?  How big is it?  Are there a lot of malls?  Is it like Nashville, in that it's more spread out little pockets of things, or do you have a largish centre?  Is the music scene good in general?  What's the best venue?  What's the average temperature, or is it more seasonal?  Are people still into horse racing?  How many venues do you have for that kind of a thing?  Does anyone go, or is it more the older guys?  How many bourbon distilleries are there?

What kind of venues are available for swimming?

They tell me the metro population (read:  the county and city put together) is 1 million.  we're supposedly the 16th largest city in america...when you fudge the stats.  really, it's closer to 750,000.

it isn't "big" by New York or LA standards, but big by Kentucky standards.  if it takes you more than 20 minutes to go somewhere, it's not in Louisville anymore.

there's plenty of malls that are all pretty good.  nothing like montreal's underground, but cool by 'merican mall standards.

I'd say the center of culture revolves around the Bardstown Road area.  (louisville posters feel free to debate that)
Downtown has cool shit at Main Street, lots of artsy fartsy stuff...but a bulk of the clubs and bars are on Bardstown Road.  So no, it's not like Nashville, it's mostly centered in one area.

The music scene is, well...help me out guys!  I'm the wrong one to ask...MMJ and VHS or Beta are atop the scene here, whether or not the hardcore regurgitators want to admit it or not.  Pine Club rocks.  Gladstone rocks. King Kong rocks.  El Roostar rocks. The locals are still in love with all things '90s hardcore, but it's beat and dead.  Once we've accepted that, we'll have a "scene".  Until then, the scene is touring the world and not playing in Louisville.  There, I said it!

The best venue is Headliner's, so to speak.  It gets the best shows (mostly), but as a venue it's not so great...too small.  The Palace is too big and the PA sucks.  We've got nothin' in the middle...(hint hint, oh Louisville investors)

The weather here is seasonal, to a degree.  (hahaha)  Winter time is usually mild (except for this year), summers are hot and humid.  Air conditioning is a requirement.  Spring and fall are gorgeous, beautiful, and awe inspiring.

Horse racing begins and ends at Churchill Downs, home of the Kentucky Derby.  Hard to put a face on the atypical racing fan...it's mainly everyone!  I don't usually go, but can see the attraction.  Drinking is paramount.

Bourbon is chiefly distilled outside of Louisville...Bardstown, KY is home to a few.

The "scene" here, as I see it, is mainly smoky bars with pool tables.  hanging out.  drinkin' beer and bourbon.  go see a hot rock show.  hang out and smoke with friends.  :)

people LOVE to throw parties here.  the average gathering consists of a good smattering of food, a lot of drink, and approx. 20 guests milling about.  I myself have thrown quite a few soirees in my time here!

All in all, Louisville is a great town.  It's sooooooooo easy here, to find a job, find a good place to live, find great friends to know and love.  I got lucky and ended up here in 1992, and haven't left since...if you would have said "john, ya ain't leaving" back then, I would have scoffed.  But now it's home.
 8)

EC

Quotemainly smoky bars

WHAT?  You can still smoke in bars?  I am definitely going.  heh.

Wowee, you make it sound fun.  Your artsy fartsy comment reminded me of my stepmom's Dad (I guess my step-Grandpa?) and his wife, who is her step-Mom, so that makes her my step-step-Grandma?  

Anyhow, they go to this senior's movie night once a month, and my step-Grandpa was all "Yeah, but they only show those g.d. artsy fartsy "films".  [said all snooty, as though calling a movie a film made it a bad thing]  You wouldn't like it.  They're terrible."  And then my step-step-Grandma said "Dear, you're talking to an artsy fart."  Just like that.  An artsy fart.  ha ha.  And then he snarled, looked me up and down, and said "You'd still hate it."

ha!

When you say that winter is mild, what do you mean?  Mild for winter, or mild for any time of year?

Wow - lots of jobs, eh?  That's pretty cool.

It is my dream to drive around Canada and the U.S. and try to check out the major "happening" music bar in each city that I cross.  I always find that you get a good sense of a town by checking out the musical venues.  And, just to bring it all back home, I always like to listen to local radio stations when I'm driving through a town.  Ireland had amazing radio stations.  Small town Ontario has funny ones.  I like to hear the local news.  I also like to hear glam rock.  It's good to drive to.

come on down!  the 'ville is always calling!  :)

whothrewthecake

hey john, have you ever been to austin? seems like louisville and austin both have that "weird" vibe that i think is so fantastic. in fact, that's why my car has the bumper sticker "keep austin weird."  ;)

CC

Hey, can we get some stats on Louisville?

hey EC,
check out these 'stats':
http://www.velocityweekly.com/2004/0428/life/lifestyles.html
have to agree with most of it :)

lil piece about the local legends too:
http://www.velocityweekly.com/cover/index1.html

EC

Hey kid!  Thanks!

Quote44. Lynn's Paradise Café. Positively the happiest place in the city, the Paradise Café pulls a smile out of the stodgiest of adults with its funky décor, ugly lamps and decadently perfect fluffy biscuits and gravy (not to mention the French toast, the amazing omelets, the braised cabbage, the ...). And, oh, how we love us some magic pants.

What in the world are magic pants?  

QuoteBut not only do we wear shoes in Louisville, we have a thriving gay population, a mayor who works to bond various segments of the community and a tolerant attitude. And we're really into sin — drinking, smoking and gambling fuel three of our major industries.

Well.  My my.  Shoes AND Sin?  Perfect.

QuoteWhile the facial hair and bare feet have convinced dim rock writers that they are some kind of hillbilly novelty, My Morning Jacket's reverb-soaked music sizzles and soars like a bottle rocket.

Aside from its inherent cheesiness, that's a pretty nice thing to say about 'em.  And also, heh, they said bottle rocket.  yay!

I wish I had a travel machine.

QuoteI wish I had a travel machine

Me too!  You'd love it here.
 8)