Main Menu

Bourbon

Started by johnconaway, May 10, 2005, 07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

Quote from: walterfredo on Mar 29, 2015, 05:17 PM
http://fredminnick.com/best-bourbon-the-shocking-winner-at-san-francisco-world-spirits-2015/

I read this yesterday. It rules. " It was Diageo's Blade & Bow, and I immediately sighed, giving an "oh XXXX" expletive." I wish I didn't know what he meant as well as I do.   :wink:

I wasn't aware/still am not sure that Blade and Bow had been announced to the public yet, but its going to be good. The Diageo/Stitzel-Weller team has already brought IW Harper back to the states, and now B&B. Its been a good first 4 months of 2015 for the company's bourbons (and the consumer!).  Say what you will  about Diageo, but you can't be mad at them for rapidly releasing excellent bourbons these days. Lost Prophet gets a Double Gold in what I'm assuming is a 20+ Y.O. category.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

parkervb

my wife ordered the Parker's Heritage Promise of Hope 10-Year-Old Single Barrel Bourbon from our state ABC store and waited for more than a month.  They called her to say it was in and when she went to pick up she got the 2014 Heritage release:

I've never had wheat whiskey before and I've only been able to have one glass, but it certainly has a distinctly different profile from bourbon (even wheated bourbons) and its not just the higher proof.  I'm happy to add some variety to the whiskey cabinet and look forward to having some more soon. 
Don't you ever turn it off

vespachick

Do any of you guys drink Old Grand Dad?  I read some detective books by a guy (Pelecanos) whose character is constantly drinking it; I had imagined that it was a fictional bourbon, but turns out it's not - I saw it at the liquor store yesterday.
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

e_wind

Quote from: vespachick on Mar 30, 2015, 11:16 AM
Do any of you guys drink Old Grand Dad?  I read some detective books by a guy (Pelecanos) whose character is constantly drinking it; I had imagined that it was a fictional bourbon, but turns out it's not - I saw it at the liquor store yesterday.

Old Grand Dad has a special spot in my heart. OGD was at one time one of the highest regarded distilleries in the country, but was purchased (as a brand) at some point and became a bottom shelf product (most old brands do that, and its purely marketing by the new big guys). As far as cheap bourbon goes, its excellent. It's going through some changes right now, but its well, well worth the money. OGD is the same as Old Fitz B.I.B. and Weller to me. Just cause its insanely cheap doesn't mean its bad. My monday night ritual includes going to a bar where OGD is the Monday shot of the day, so I assume I'll be drinking a lot of that in the very, very near future.

There are gigantic whiskey nerds who purchase very old, still sealed bottles from other whiskey nerds. Some of the bottles are as old as pre-prohibition. They spend a ton of money on these bottles if they can find them sealed. OGD bottles and bottles from the Stitzel-Weller Distillery are the two that are the most sought after.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

vespachick

Quote from: e_wind on Mar 30, 2015, 03:29 PM

Old Grand Dad has a special spot in my heart. OGD was at one time one of the highest regarded distilleries in the country, but was purchased (as a brand) at some point and became a bottom shelf product (most old brands do that, and its purely marketing by the new big guys). As far as cheap bourbon goes, its excellent. It's going through some changes right now, but its well, well worth the money. OGD is the same as Old Fitz B.I.B. and Weller to me. Just cause its insanely cheap doesn't mean its bad. My monday night ritual includes going to a bar where OGD is the Monday shot of the day, so I assume I'll be drinking a lot of that in the very, very near future.

There are gigantic whiskey nerds who purchase very old, still sealed bottles from other whiskey nerds. Some of the bottles are as old as pre-prohibition. They spend a ton of money on these bottles if they can find them sealed. OGD bottles and bottles from the Stitzel-Weller Distillery are the two that are the most sought after.

Fantastic intel, E.  Thanks!!  :beer:
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

parkervb

Quote from: e_wind on Mar 30, 2015, 03:29 PM

"whiskey nerds"...now that's funny.
Don't you ever turn it off