pitchforkmedia.com

Started by Dorothy_Mantooth, Nov 20, 2005, 09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorothy_Mantooth

does anyone have any thoughts on Pitchfork's reviews? do you read them often? and if so, do you generally agree/dissagree?  
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

EC

uh oh.

Ms. Mantooth, this very debate has been raging around here for quite some time.  I believe there's a thread or eight in the Music section if you feel like swimming around.

Basically, to sum it all up, aMillionDreams is wrong.

HAHAHAHAHA.  Totally joking.  Really, seriously totally joking.

However, I'll see if I can find that cesspool of hatred and bring it to the surface, or at least bring it to your attention so that you can read what people think.  (Or try to find what people think in and amongst the very lengthy prose.;))

aMillionDreams

Quoteuh oh.

Ms. Mantooth, this very debate has been raging around here for quite some time.  I believe there's a thread or eight in the Music section if you feel like swimming around.

Basically, to sum it all up, aMillionDreams is wrong.

HAHAHAHAHA.  Totally joking.  Really, seriously totally joking.

That's too easy.  Of course I'm wrong, case closed.  What are we talking about?
 ;)
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

primushead

I think the general concensus is that Pitchfork writers use big words to get themselves off.  Also, the more obscure something is, the higher score it gets (generally).

Coltrane

Don't be too fooled though. There are many legitamate reviews. The issues they bring up with the records they pan are usually valid, and if you disagree with the main point of the reviewer then you'll probably like the record, and vice versa.
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

dogandponyshow

Just not that good....

D.

primushead

QuoteDon't be too fooled though. There are many legitamate reviews. The issues they bring up with the records they pan are usually valid, and if you disagree with the main point of the reviewer then you'll probably like the record, and vice versa.

That's true in many cases.  

Spider_Beard

it seems that whenever a pitchfork writer rates an album 8.5 or higher, they're so overwhlemed by the musical genius of it by deadline that the write up doesn't talk about or review the album at all. rather, the writer tells a story about some indie record store they visited last month or a childhood experience that the band's name reminds them of.