RIP George Best

Started by Chills, Nov 25, 2005, 04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chills

Some quotes.

In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol and it was the worst 20 minutes of my life.

I've spent hundreds of thousands of pounds on women and
drinking - the rest I just squandered.

He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right.
(Assessment of Manchester United's David Beckham)

Pele called me the greatest footballer in the world. That is the ultimate salute to my life.

Too bad  :-/

SMc55

It's seemed inevitable for a long time but still very sad.

Hope he's remembered for good things. (Imagine if he'd been able to play for England :o).

Chills

QuoteIt's seemed inevitable for a long time but still very sad.

Hope he's remembered for good things. (Imagine if he'd been able to play for England :o).

Why wasn't he?

SMc55

He was from Northern Ireland. He played for them but they've such a small population they've never really had a world class team. The same goes for Wales. Some people think there should be a UK team. I think there's talk of a UK team for the Olympics.

Tree

R.I.P.

wouldn´t that be a bit unfair? a UK team?
wales is not that bad! giggs, hartson, bellamy, rush, savage.
ok not a superteam but they´re better than Azerbaijan! ;)

SMc55

QuoteR.I.P.

wouldn´t that be a bit unfair? a UK team?
wales is not that bad! giggs, hartson, bellamy, rush, savage.
ok not a superteam but they´re better than Azerbaijan! ;)

Better than England sometimes  ;)

Jaimoe

Honestly, why is this sad? He drank himself to death, using two livers in the process.

It would have been great if the second liver he polluted was actually given to someone who deserved it.

ratsprayer

QuoteHonestly, why is this sad? He drank himself to death, using two livers in the process.

It would have been great if the second liver he polluted was actually given to someone who deserved it.

zing!

dogandponyshow

Soccer......are you kidding me.

D.

SMc55

QuoteHonestly, why is this sad? He drank himself to death, using two livers in the process.

I agree on that Jaimoe, but none of us is perfect I suppose. I remeber doubting the wisdom of his transplant at the time but luckily that decision wasn't mine to take.
It's sad to me that his was a great talent (and yes, football/soccer is important to some of us) that went to waste. For me, his problems are linked with the start of playing sports performers ridiculous amounts of money and treating them as if they are gods.

Gripe

QuoteSoccer......are you kidding me.

D.

Let me guess...you were born without any coordination whatsoever; you're American; you have the attention span of a kid with ADD who was supposed to take his medication but got distracted by his navel and just forgot; you were into the glowing puck idea because you could "keep track of things better"; your car is lowered or, better yet, your truck is raised; your favourite book involves the choosing of your own adventure.   Whether any of these things are true or not, you do not have the right to ever refer to yourself as "an athlete" or "athletic" in any way.

ratsprayer

Let me guess...you were born without any coordination whatsoever; you're American; you have the attention span of a kid with ADD who was supposed to take his medication but got distracted by his navel and just forgot; you were into the glowing puck idea because you could "keep track of things better"; your car is lowered or, better yet, your truck is raised; your favourite book involves the choosing of your own adventure.   Whether any of these things are true or not, you do not have the right to ever refer to yourself as "an athlete" or "athletic" in any way.

see folks, people take their football seriously.  i personally think football skills, or lack thereof,  should be the basis for life and death of all humans.

primushead

see folks, people take their football seriously.  i personally think football skills, or lack thereof,  should be the basis for life and death of all humans.

If that's the case, I should by dying shortly after writing this post.

cmccubbin25

it takes true to skill to hit a round ball traveling upwards of 90+ mph with a round bat....its physics people
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.

Gripe

Not all, just some.