compare and contrast

Started by johnconaway, Dec 19, 2005, 09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

The Lord of the Rings-The Two Towers
and
The Wizard of Oz

I just watched these two movies back to back and noticed some similarities between the two....there's a wizard in each one, both have a scene with the characters climbing up a rocky mountain, the eternal struggle between good and evil, singing...munchins vs. hobbits, mystical creatures, fantastic special effects (if you consider the Wizard of Oz was made in 1939, fer chrissakes)...it goes on and on.  Anyone else notice this?

There's that whole Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz thingy, but this is different.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

EC

hm.  I never did, but I never watched them back to back, either.  Did you find that watching them back to back "enhanced" the experience for you?  ;)

That's very interesting...  

Quotehm.  I never did, but I never watched them back to back, either.  Did you find that watching them back to back "enhanced" the experience for you?  ;)

That's very interesting...  

oh yeah, Two Towers first, Wizard second.  The version of the Wizard of Oz I saw was digitally remastered, so there was all this weird shit I never noticed before, like how the Tin Man has a pet peacock at his cabin, and he has a rivet on his face where his nose connects.

Also, there's a school of thought that delves into the sociological aspects of the Wizard.  The Scarecrow is rural, agricultural America (no brain), the Tin Man is industrial, capitalistic America (no heart), the Lion is pacifism/isolationism, (no courage) and the Wizard is the government (hiding behind a curtain and pulling levers, barking orders through a projector).  The Wicked Witch, is Nazism, of course.  

ben grimm

What does that make the flying monkeys? Those things scared the shiznit outta me when I was a kid.

QuoteWhat does that make the flying monkeys? Those things scared the shiznit outta me when I was a kid.

well, if the Witch is Nazism, then the monkeys are the SS.

Jellyfish

QuoteThere's that whole Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz thingy, but this is different.

Not as good as the Meddle/2001 A Space Odyssey thing..recommend this to anyone that hasn't tried it.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

tomEisenbraun

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Jellyfish

Quotehow does that work?

Start the album on side 1 the same time you start the movie...then the space scene near the end should be started with Echoes...you may have to play the album several times through...it requires a bit of imagination but the album could have been the soundtrack to the movie.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

ben grimm

I hadn't heard of that one, once tried the dark side thing but was very drunk, you're supposed to press play on dark side on the second roar of the MGM lion, allegedly.

Clarkwork

Actually it is the 3rd roar, and I think it is pretty cool to watch.  I remember Turner Classic Movies played the Wizard of Oz with the Dark side of the moon when it all came out.
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

wellfleet

Oooooooh... that's somebody using their brain juice at TCM...
everything sucks. really.

FarmerYoda

bright eyes?
oh. thats contrast and compare.