*OFFICIAL* MMJ Forum Cookbook

Started by sweatboard, Feb 01, 2006, 12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

submit your favorite recipies here.  Prefreably food recipies.
There's Still Time.........

peanut butter puddin surprise

Bourbon Sweet Potatoes
(serves 4)

5 large fresh sweet potatoes or 2 cans of canned sweet potatoes
brown sugar to taste
bourbon to taste
2 sticks of butter
glass baking dish, casserole size

if using fresh sweet potatoes, pare and slice into approx. 1/5 inch slices.

place potatoes in baking dish

on stovetop, place butter, bourbon, and brown sugar in a pan and heat until the butter is melted and sugar starts to thicken the mixture.  taste, add more bourbon/sugar to make it extra sweet/drunken tasting.

add salt and pepper to mix to taste

pour hot mixture over sweet potatoes, stir so the liquid goes to the bottom of the pan

cover, and bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees until potatoes are soft (approx 1 hour)

serve

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

ratsprayer

it's what i'm having right now, and so very simple too.

grilled lamb chops

open package, put on grill, cook until desired, enjoy.

SMc55

Could any of you guys tell me what a pot roast is? Preferably with a recipe. The sweet potato recipe sounds great John. I love roast vegetables, especially sweet potatoes and parsnips. I've had a liking for broccoli in recent years too  ;)

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/20096

pot roast is the rump cut, kinda like a brisket, but more apt to be juicy instead of stringy....

epicurious.com is da bomb for recipes....

tomEisenbraun

My pot roast recipe is something like this.

Get one of those beef brisket deals. not ground chuck, but something that's an actual meat slice. the stringier stuff. i have no clue what its called. you need a crock pot and you fill it up with water and a boullioun cube, and then fill'er up with chopped up potatoes and carrots and onions. and then you put in the beef.

you can just turn it on in the morning and go to work and it'll be done when you get home and it tastes absolutely wonderful. awesome suggestion with the juice: sop it up with bread and eat the bread. yuuuummmmmy...

I hate being in college...i want real food. good thing i'm going home this weekend, i might have the mom make it.

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

tomEisenbraun

My Morning Jambalaya

1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 medium cloves garlic, peeled
1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
2 celery stalks, diced
3 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, minced
4 oz extra-lean smoked ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
5 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
1 large bay leaf
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
3/4 cup brown rice, uncooked
1 1/2 lb medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped into bite-sized pieces

Add oil to a large nonstick saucepan. Over medium heat, sauté onion, garlic, bell pepper and celery until onion is translucent. Add parsley, ham, chicken, bay leaf, and cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring often, 5 to 6 minutes. Add tomatoes (with juice), tomato sauce, and 1 3/4 cups cold water. Gently simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Pour rice into the pan and stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, 45 minutes or until rice is cooked and absorbs most of the liquid. Stir in shrimp and cook 5 minutes more. Remove bay leaf. Season to taste with cayenne pepper and salt.

Nutritional analysis per serving: 340 calories, 7 g fat (1.5 g saturated fat)
Makes 6 servings.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm Vienna Sausages.  my favorite of the cheap, canned meats.

Also a fav:

EC

Oh my god.  Look at that devil's shoes!!!

Okay.  Mine is a healthy one.  

Brown rice and/or quinoa and lentils and vegetables.  I honestly love this.

Brown rice:
rinse 2 cups of brown rice really well.  Strain and add 4.5 cups of water.  (use organic brown rice and filtered water, okay?)  Add a crapload of basil.  Fresh or dried, it matters not.  Put it on the stove at high until it boils, and then let it simmer at low simmer (usually low or "2") for about 30-40 minutes.

Quinoa:
(quinoa is a grain if you've never heard of it, and it's pronouncd key-nwa)  Take two cups of quinoa (the red is very nice, but regular is good, and again, organic is aces) and rinse it out, drain, and add two cups of filtered water (quinoa ratio is 1:1).  Add basil.  Put on the stove the same as rice, but quinoa only needs about 8 or so minutes to cook.

Lentils:
(organic)  Rinse 1 cup of green lentils (the bigger, brownish ones).  Add 2 and a bit cups of water, and a tonne of quartered garlic cloves.  Lentils take around the same time as brown rice, and you basically follow the same instructions.

While all that's going, get out your wok or your big frying pan and put some ghee in there.  (ghee is clarified butter, and it's easier for your body to digest than regular butter)  Throw in a bunch of chopped garlic.  Add whatever vegetables are in your fridge.  

Yeah, that's pretty much it.  I like to have that with tamari sauce (which is basically like soy sauce, but better for you) and chopped avocado and tomato on top.  The excellent thing about rice and legumes is that, together, they work as a team to provide you with a complete protein.  It's also a very satisfying meal, makes you feel good, and is really easy to stick in a container for lunch the next day if you make lots of it.

:)

And then eat eleven chocolate bars afterwards.  ;)

ratsprayer

tamari is actually real soy sauce, not the bullshit water, molasses and vinegar they try to pass off in most cases.

ali

eleven chocolate bars after anything is guaranteed to make everything better  :)
love a song for the way it makes you feel

ali

are vienna sausages anything like spam? a very very WRONG food

szechuan chicken (my best friend's dad's recipe - possibly not authentically szechuan)

chicken breast fillets, sliced or cubed
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 teaspoons of chinese 5 spice powder

1 1/2 teaspoons each minced garlic & ginger
however much fresh chili you like
sliced spring onions

sauce: (no exact idea on quantities here, i usually just put a bit of this a bit of that...)
maybe 3 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon white wine or rice wine
1 teaspoon chinese 5 spice powder
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
very very small amount sesame oil
cornflour to thicken

coat the chicken in flour / spice mix (i usually do this in a plastic bag - no mess that way)
fry the chicken until brown (vegetable oil is best) & put it aside.
add the minced ginger & garlic to the pan til it's brown, add chili & spring onions. then basically put the combined sauce ingredients in & turn up the heat til it boils. add cornflour in water to thicken.

chuck the chicken back in til its all coated & great.  have with rice & steamed green beans

love a song for the way it makes you feel

aMillionDreams

Here's one of my favorites from the kitchen of Paula Dean, from Elizabethtown and the Food Network.  Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cakes:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_20677,00.html
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

ben grimm

Bourbon Sweet Potatoes

Can't wait to try this John, I loves sweet potatoes and I loves bourbon, gonna make it this weekend.

Can't wait to try this John, I loves sweet potatoes and I loves bourbon, gonna make it this weekend.

honestly, anything tastes good with brown sugar, butter, and bourbon.  try it-make chicken with those ingredients....or beef stew, or squash...i'm telling ya, those three are evil put together!!

marktwain

QuoteHere's one of my favorites from the kitchen of Paula Dean, from Elizabethtown and the Food Network.  Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cakes:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_20677,00.html

My lovely wife made this for Thanksgiving.  Gloriously gooey.
 ;D

corey

Here's a recipe that I played around with a couple of different times. I don't remember the exact measurements since I made it differently both times that I've made it, so feel free to change those according to your tastes.

Egg Salad Sandwich Spread:
-6 boiled eggs, peeled, chopped up
-1 cup sour cream
-1 (or slightly less) cup of your favorite cheese (mozzarella or cheddar work nicely)
-2 tablespoons of dijon or honey mustard (spicy brown gives it a nice kick)
- 1 tablespoon of caesar salad dressing
- salt, pepper to taste

Now stir all of this shit up in a bowl and spread on some toast.

My wife added a touch of hot sauce to it when she made a sandwich with it that was pretty tasty.

ben grimm

I made John's bourbon sweet spuds on Sunday, they were fantastic, reminded me of a roast pumpkin recipe with maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, garlic and fresh sage.

EC

mmmmmm that reminds me that i wanted to make those, too.

who has a good biscuit recipe?  :)