Sergio Leone, Westerns etc.

Started by Chills, Feb 09, 2006, 08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chills

Ok, I decided this subject deserves it's own thread.

Anybody else interested in the whole western phenomenum?
I love the 70's variant. It all looks so cool in cinemascope and technicolor.
Makes me wish I had one of those big-ass home cinemas.

And Sergio Leone is such an amazing director.
I guess Once Upon a Time In America is my favorite movie of all time.
And you can't forget Once Upon A Time In The West of course.

http://www.fistfulofwesterns.com/

Harmonica: I saw three of these dusters a short time ago, they were waiting for a train. Inside the dusters, there were three men.
Cheyenne: So?
Harmonica: Inside the men, there were three bullets.

Yeah  ;D

Jaimoe

QuoteOk, I decided this subject deserves it's own thread.

Anybody else interested in the whole western phenomenum?
I love the 70's variant. It all looks so cool in cinemascope and technicolor.

What 70's westerns do you like? Leone's best westerns, including Once Upon A Time In The West, were produced in the 60's.

Chills

What 70's westerns do you like? Leone's best westerns, including Once Upon A Time In The West, were produced in the 60's.

Mmm, you're right. I'm not so good with dates.
And I'm in no way an authority on this subject, I hope I didn't wrongly  imply that.
It's just good fun.

Cheyenne: Do you know anything about a guy going around playing the harmonica? He's someone you'd remember. Instead of talking, he plays. And when he better play, he talks.

Jaimoe

Ya Chills, even the best Peckinpah films were done in the 60's. One great 70's westerns was Little Big Man with Dustin Hoffman. Eastwood's High Plains Drifter is another great 70's western.

I love westerns. Perhaps my favourite film genre.

peanut butter puddin surprise

Fistful of Dollars
High Plains Drifter
The Outlaw Josie Wales

hell, any Clint western for that matter are all pretty damn good.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

CC

check these out chills:

- The Great Silence (Sergio Corbucci)
- Django (Sergio Corbucci)
- Keoma (Enzo Castellari)
- The Big Gundown (Sergio Sollima)
- Death Rides a Horse (Giulio Petroni)

Jaimoe

Dead Man is one of the great modern westerns.

John Sturges' Last Train From Gun Hill (1959) is really worth checking out. It's a great "lost" western: http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll

Also check out the awesome modern western, also from Sturges: Bad Day At Black Rock (1955). Robert Ryan and Spencer Tracey are amazing in this film: http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=A3722

Chills

Django (Sergio Corbucci)

hell yeah, I just saw that one on the site.
But then I also need to see...

# Django Shoots First
# Django Strikes Again
# Django the Bastard
# Don't Wait Django ... Shoot!

That's a lot of work :)
But hey, seriously thanks for the tips, maybe I'll get around to seeing some of these.

Oh, we didn't mention Ennio Morricone yet, he's brilliant.

dragonboy

I really need to check out some of the classics.
Dances With Wolves is hands down my fav movie of all time. I never grow tired of watching that & it still moves me everytime.
I love Open Range, Unforgiven & Tombstone but these were all made in the last 15 years or so.
I keep meaning to rent some of the classics...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ali

i'm not really into westerns as such, but the quick & the dead was good.... i used to love dances with wolves - haven't seen it for ages though

ennio morricone writes great western music though....
love a song for the way it makes you feel

Jaimoe

QuoteI really need to check out some of the classics.
Dances With Wolves is hands down my fav movie of all time. I never grow tired of watching that & it still moves me everytime.
I love Open Range, Unforgiven & Tombstone but these were all made in the last 15 years or so.
I keep meaning to rent some of the classics...

Do not forget about the unbelievable TV show Deadwood either. And with you living in Japan, samurai movies are essentially Japan's version of westerns.

Here you go Dragonboy. This list of movies and their rankings/reviews (plus DVD specs) will not steer you wrong:

http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=M2D|||656

fitzcarraldo

Yeah Jaimoe! "Do you have any tobacco?"  ;D

peanut butter puddin surprise

with soundtrack by Neil Young, no less....that's an awesome movie.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

EC

I like Dead Man a lot, too.

I like The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.  I like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (guess what song is now in my head).

Is Bonnie and Clyde a western?  Probably.  I liked that quiiiite a bit.

What about the Treasure of the Sierra Madre with Bogart?  liked it.

Okay, just checked some of those against the guide and they're not listed.  Oh well.  And I saw Silverado in there, and I remember loving it.

I l.o.v.e. the japanese samurai movies, and that's a very good comparison, Jaimoe.  

Right now I'm reading Even Cowgirls Get the Blues.  And my Dad was just at a cowboy convention.  Seems to be a theme...  :)

Jaimoe

Is Bonnie and Clyde a western?  Probably.  I liked that quiiiite a bit.

What about the Treasure of the Sierra Madre with Bogart?  liked it.

Bonnie & Clyde is a  true story firmly planted in the gangster film genre.

Madre doesn't have the usual trappings of a typical western. "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges"!

Jaimoe

Kurosawa was hugely influenced by John Ford. All Kurosawa's samurai films have direct or indirect Ford/Howard Hawks influences (along with Shakespeare). Kurosawa also had connections with Leone - most obvious being The Seven Samurai and the American remake The Magnificent Seven.

dragonboy

Do not forget about the unbelievable TV show Deadwood either. And with you living in Japan, samurai movies are essentially Japan's version of westerns.

Here you go Dragonboy. This list of movies and their rankings/reviews (plus DVD specs) will not steer you wrong:

http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=M2D|||656

Thanks very much Jaimoe, I'll definately check that link out  :)

EDIT: I see Lonesome Dove is pretty high on the list. I had that in my amazon shopping cart a few weeks ago but cancelled it for some reason. Will have to order it again.
I've seen Butch Cassidy &...many times, love that movie.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.