Powerchords

Started by EC, Feb 11, 2006, 09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

Hi pals.  I wasn't sure where to put this.  I thought about in tabs, and then I thought about Other Music, but then it didn't seem quite right.

Can somebody explain power chords to me?

How do you make them, and are they just a technical chord (like a sixth or something) but they're called power chords because rockers use them?

Thank you.

Jaimoe

They are easier to do than a bar chord. Use the same technique as when you do a bar chord, but just strum the first three strings (remove your middle finger too) - and muffle the remaining three strings (or don't strum them). Also, strum down with enthusiasm.

Better yet, watch Pete Townshend footage.

tomEisenbraun

a good example: an E power chord

e-x
b-x
g-x
d-2
a-2
e-0

or A:

e-x
b-x
g-x
d-7
a-7
e-5

it's basically just the root note and the fifth and then the octave (but you can play it without playing the d string even (or you can move the root onto the A string).

The reason rockers use em is because there's no tonality (no major/minor third involved) so it requires no skill in putting chords together, basically whatever you want without too much thought. And they're easy to move.

and it you ever see a chord listed as E5 or A5 or Bb5, that's a power chord.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

ycartrob

OK, but can power chords be different for different artists?

Let's say Jewel is out there and needs a geat power chord for emphasis or movement; will that be the same power chord as, lets say, Kirk Hammett of Metallica would use??

tomEisenbraun

it'd be the same power chord as this man:

but with a little more love and more canadian and played on an acoustic.

fitzcarraldo

Yep, definitive answer on this one: Jaimoe & Eisey!

EC

Werd ye bringers of the powerchords to the people.

(Eisey, Jewel is NOT Canadian.  I think she's from Alaska.  Hold on, alaska...   ...

ba dump bum).  

Anyhoooo, so I thought powerchords were going to be a lot more interesting than that.  damn.  I'd rather bar them.

Barracuda would consist of power chords, I guess, right?

tomEisenbraun

Barracuda does indeed. I'm sorry Meg, i thought Jewel was canadian, but i knew she was from up there with a lot of snow somewhere. Just more westward.

aMillionDreams

Anyhoooo, so I thought powerchords were going to be a lot more interesting than that.  damn.  I'd rather bar them.

If you're trying them on an acoustic it ain't gonna sound right.  You gotta have an electric with a ridiculous amount of distortion on it for them to sound right.  When I think power chords I think of "smells like teen spirit". It's just:
133xxx
x133xx
466xxx
x466xx

Turn up the gain and get 'er a shot.
 ;D
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]