Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

http://music.aol.com/home/blender/rock-6

49: The dude that always yells freebird at every concert

38: Sting

30: Braided Goatees

17: Fred Durst

08: The age of 27
For most of us, the Bermuda Triangle of morbidity lies between the ages of 50 and 53, after which, if you dodge cancer, heart disease and other bullets, you'll probably live for decades. For rock stars, the year to fear is 27 -- the checkout date for JANIS JOPLIN, JIMI HENDRIX, JIM MORRISON, KURT COBAIN, BRIAN JONES and blues legend ROBERT JOHNSON among others.

Honorable mentions to NICK DRAKE (at a wizened 26) and TIM BUCKLEY (at a boyish twenty-eight) -- who were, after all, eccentric.

06: Madonna's British accent

;D

Check the list & make your own additions...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

primushead

Yeah, I saw that in my friend's blender the other day...my favorite was Scott Stapp (although, creed was my first rock concert :P)

Did you see that they mentioned hip-hop skits too? ;)

dragonboy

QuoteDid you see that they mentioned hip-hop skits too? ;)

Seriously, what's the deal with Hip-Hop skits?!!
Don't get me wrong, I love Hip-Hop & have heaps of CDs but what is up with the skits? 99% of them just aren't funny & are a complete waste of time & CD space.

I'm done  ;)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

primushead

You should check out the 'nuff said' thread.  I rant about it much like you did, DB, and I'm glad you have my back on that.  Cheers!  8)

FarmerYoda

Seriously, what's the deal with Hip-Hop skits?!!
Don't get me wrong, I love Hip-Hop & have heaps of CDs but what is up with the skits? 99% of them just aren't funny & are a complete waste of time & CD space.

I'm done  ;)
i was just arguing about this with my brother. hahha.  we agree.

wellfleet

i haven't read this yet but if the pussycat dolls' "don't cha" isn't on there, or the black eyed peas' "my humps" then i don't know what... i just don't know...
when did being a burlesque dancer qualify you for a record contract?
everything sucks. really.

primushead

Quotewhen did being a burlesque dancer qualify you for a record contract?

It happened as soon as record execs started getting lapdances from mediocre vocalists.

EC

here's another question from one who seems to miss these things:
what's a hip hop skit?  

primushead

Basically it's just short tracks in between songs on rap albums where they just sit around talking about nothing.  95% of the time, they're not funny...it's kinda hard to describe, however, unless you've heard one before.  Pick up an Outkast album and you'll see.

dragonboy

Like Primushead said, skits are short spoken word tracks between the songs on Hip-Hop albums.
9 times out of 10 time they're supposedly funny but sometimes they play out a scene from the rappers life, like a drug deal gone wrong, a conversation with a fellow rapper about how they're gonna make it big one day etc etc. Sometimes it's just a chance to dis another rapper/person.

peanut butter puddin surprise

interesting list.  glad to see these:

11.  "You really have to see them live"...First heard muttered by a proselytizing GRATEFUL DEAD fan sometime around minute 13 of the studio version of 'Terrapin Station, Pt. 1,' this reflexive, defensive cry has long been used as an excuse for the existence of reams of irretrievably dull PHISH, WIDESPREAD PANIC and MOE. records. If your studio albums feel limp compared with your live show, don't put them out.

22.  Lists that reduce rock to a series of lists (sorry)...although I'm not sorry.  Good call.

I'll add:

American Idol-a flood of wannabees singing the exact same style of music isn't a competition, it's a group of lemmings making it for the sea.  Even the judges are contrived-Paula Abdul??  How is she talented enough to judge other singers?  The only reason people watch this junk is to see Simon crush the dreams of a teary eyed teenager from Podunk, USA or to see said teenager's display of "sexiness".  It certainly isn't to hear any of them sing.  I've been to drunken drag shows that display more talent.   Hell, I've been to karoke that sounds better.  :o
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Jellyfish

I agree on that American Idol comment....you hit it right on the head,John.....it's a bunch of no talent wannabee's.

But......I always liked the Dead....listen to any sbd show from 77 and you will know they were the greatest rock n roll band of all time.

Long live Jerry.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

oh, I've always had some love for the Dead...the comment "you must see them live" is where I'm aiming my wrath at...

in fact, I actually saw the Dead several times back in the 80's...

saki

Uhhhhh....Why Sting at #38 ???  

I heard one of his solo album songs the other day at a cafe and I can't think of a reason why...enlighten me....anyone?

Jellyfish

QuoteUhhhhh....Why Sting at #38 ???  

I heard one of his solo album songs the other day at a cafe and I can't think of a reason why...enlighten me....anyone?

He sucks.
 ;)
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

ratsprayer

sting's work with the police is great, at least i think, but his solo stuff is pretty terrible.

primushead

Quotesting's work with the police is great, at least i think, but his solo stuff is pretty terrible.

Amen

saki

Quotesting's work with the police is great, at least i think, but his solo stuff is pretty terrible.

yeah, I agree...but I know this song I heard was something from one of his solo albums....and it was pretty damn good because it kinda sounded like something he did with the police.  It had the Reggae beat and...well I liked it.  Just don't know the name of it :-/

If someone told me Sting had converted to Scientology, I wouldn't be surprised.  Not at all.