63.4 million

Started by wellfleet, May 25, 2006, 07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wellfleet

that's how many votes were tallied for the american idol finale... does that boggle anyone else's mind?

even if you account for some people voting 100 times... even if only 30 million people voted, that's 1 in 10 americans. do those people also vote in their local elections?
everything sucks. really.

ratsprayer

im not surprised, but it still blows my mind, if that makes any sense.  

i wonder how long it will be before history books include american idol as subject matter, or maybe its happened already?

ali

63 million... thats if every single australian voted 3 times.... that scary, just for the one show, not even for a political or social debate or election
love a song for the way it makes you feel

dragonboy

All I have to say about this is Well Done Taylor Hicks!!!
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

I have to be honest, I kind of like the guy  :-[
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

tomEisenbraun

who won? it's a shame they knocked that chris guy off over that girl about two weeks back. she was allright, but i think he definitely deserved it a hell of a lot more.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

fitzcarraldo

Soul Patrol!!!  Fair play to Taylor.

peanut butter puddin surprise

Taylor Hicks is just god awful.  Sounds like a cruise ship karaoke reject.  

American Idol has always been some kind of horrendous social phenomenon.  It is a sad commentary on our society when more people care about it than our current political climate.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Jon T.

He was on Jay Leno last night.  Right before The Flaming Lips.  He seems like a pretty cool chap.

ycartrob

you guys seem to know a lot about American Idol to think it's such a terrible thing...

wellfleet

i know a lot about meaningless shit that i think is just awful... i know more about britney spears (thanks E! true hollywood story!) than i do about the boer war. i don't think it's right, but i know it's true...

*hanging head in shame*

ratsprayer

i dont think its a bad thing to be informed about things you hate, otherwise, what basis do you have for hate except stereotypes and generalisations?  i have watched american idol more than once, and im not ashamed to admit it. it helps to see what the fucking fuss is about things.  

the home improvement E! true hollywood story wasnt that good, just to let you know.

dragonboy

I have admit I got into American Idol.
Here in Japan my wife & I pay for cable which gives us a few international channels (BBC, CNN, FOX, Animal Planet, Discovery etc)
The problem is a lot of the shows are bilingual with no subtitles, which means we can either watch the show in English or Japanese.
My wife, for example, loves CSi but we can't watch it together because there are no subtitles, same for ER, Simpsons etc.
American Idol had subtitles so we started watching it (this year was the first time that it aired in Japan) & got into it.
Granted it's pretty silly TV but I know that.
With regards to Taylor Hicks, would I buy his album - no of course not. Was he fun to watch - i think he was. Congrats again to Taylor Hicks  :)

wellfleet

i see you and i both have a lot of time on our hands  ;)
i sure do hope that the dep't of homeland security figures out what rules they want to change and how they want to change them so that i can finally work. the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing and it's like, they're both amputated from the brain! arrrgh! that aside...

i got the idea about tim allen being a not so great dude when he hosted a just for laughs gala (biggest comedy fest in the world) in montreal and was bumbed out of his freakin; tree...

but yeah, it's good to at least have an informed opinion about what you hate. although i should say that some of the american idol contestants *are* talented and their voice deserves a shot. i think if i were a struggling musican i'd feel differently though.

i think we should try to get EC to try out for canadian idol.

kellilou3

With regards to Taylor Hicks, would I buy his album - no of course not. Was he fun to watch - i think he was. Congrats again to Taylor Hicks  :)
I might get teased for this, but his cd isn't that bad, actually.  At least not as bad as I thought it'd be.  He released an album before he ever went on American Idol.  You can download a few songs at the bottom of this page:

http://www.wbhm.org/Tapestry/bands/TaylorHicks.html

dragonboy

I might get teased for this, but his cd isn't that bad, actually.  At least not as bad as I thought it'd be.  He released an album before he ever went on American Idol.  You can download a few songs at the bottom of this page:

http://www.wbhm.org/Tapestry/bands/TaylorHicks.html
*whispers very quietly when no one is watching* Thanks Kellilou, I'll check them out (when no one's watching)  ;)

kellilou3

*whispers very quietly when no one is watching* Thanks Kellilou, I'll check them out (when no one's watching)  ;)

;) ;)

MMJ_fanatic

i wonder how long it will be before history books include american idol as subject matter, or maybe its happened already?
It's a matter alright.  As in, whatsamatter with this country anyway?!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.