The Coolest PM in the World?

Started by dragonboy, Jun 30, 2006, 07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5132376.stm

;D  ;D  ;D

Singing Japan PM tours Graceland.

Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi has visited the home of his musical hero, Elvis Presley, as a guest of US President George W Bush.
Mr Koizumi burst into song with a few bars of "Love Me Tender" in the Jungle Room of Graceland on a private tour led by the singer's ex-wife.
The tour is being widely seen as Mr Bush's thank-you to a loyal ally who is due to step down in September.
The visit follows talks that focused on N Korea and beef imports on Thursday.

Serenade

To the strains of Presley's greatest hits, the two leaders were served fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches - a favourite of Elvis - as Air Force One flew them to Memphis.

In-flight entertainment on the presidential plane included DVDs of the singer's films.
White House press secretary Tony Snow donned gold-rimmed plastic sunglasses for occasion.
Mr Bush and First Lady Laura Bush were greeted at Graceland by Presley's daughter Lisa Marie and her mother Priscilla, after passing the King's famous pink Cadillac which was parked specially in the driveway.
Then, amid the Hawaiian-style furniture and a waterfall feature in the room where Elvis used to relax, Mr Koizumi serenaded the US president and his wife.
"Love me tender," he sang, and then, draping his arm around Lisa Marie, moved on to "Hold me close, hold me tight" - the opening lines of "I want you, I need you, I love you".

'Much in common'

At a state dinner on Thursday to mark what has been dubbed the "sayonara summit" (sayonara means goodbye in Japanese), Mr Koizumi had quoted the same song in a toast to continued US-Japanese relations.
In his toast, Mr Bush hailed Mr Koizumi's similarities with the rock and roll icon.
"Like you, he had great hair," he said to laughter from the guests. "Like you, he was known to sing in public. And like you, he won admirers in countries far from home."
Mr Koizumi's lifelong devotion to Elvis is well known. He has sung Elvis songs to world leaders and done duets with celebrities including Tom Cruise.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

wellfleet

dragonboy... you're so dorky!!  ;D

but it's pretty cool of the PM to get down like that. and to love Elvis with so much gusto. kinda like you!

it's special and awesome to really really really get off on something and not care if everyone thinks you're weird.  :)
everything sucks. really.

dragonboy

Thankyouthankyouverymuch!  ;)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Chills

What a dude  ;D

He sure loves your dad Dragonboy.

dragonboy

;D ;D ;D

Seriously though, somewhere along the line Junichiro Koizumi said thanks but no thanks (to Bushs' ranch) I'd rather visit Graceland.
Once he was there, not only did he sing a couple of Elvis songs, he wore the shades & made the moves!!!
What a fucking man  8)
I sleep easier at night knowing he's in control...

Chills

I sleep easier at night knowing he's in control...

Quite rightly
 ;D

He said that in the few private moments he gets to himself since taking office, a few minutes in the company of the King "eases off my fatigue".

According to the prime minister it was his younger brother Masaya Koizumi -- a man he describes as an "Elvis maniac" -- who first introduced him to the music.

Masaya is now a senior member of the Tokyo branch of the Elvis Fan Club and was responsible for the unveiling of an Elvis statue in the Japanese capital in 1987.

But as well as being a huge fan Koizumi also shares Elvis' birthday.

"My birthday is January 8, the same as Elvis," he wrote earlier this year. "It's one of the things I'm so proud of."

fitzcarraldo

dragonboy

Chills, you have the coolest pic avitar on the forum!
I'll buy it from you for...1000Yen!!!

wellfleet

not just that...

but Koizumi has maybe the best hair in politics. he's rocking that surfer dude, devil-may-care coiffure.

and he looked RIGHTEOUS in those shades. dragonboy, you need a pair of those. when's your birthday?

Chills

QuoteChills, you have the coolest pic avitar on the forum!
I'll buy it from you for...1000Yen!!!

I've changed mine again. A google search of koizumi + Elvis should lead you to it if you want it  8)

Favourite Elvis songs, selected by Japanese Prime Minister.
Tracklist:

* I Want You, I Need You, I Love You
    * Wear My Ring around Your Neck
    * I Was the One
    * Any Way You Want Me
    * Have I Told You Lately that I Love You?
    * That's When Your Heartaches Begin
    * Don't
    * A Fool Such as I
    * It's Now or Never
    * Are You Lonesome Tonight?
    * No More
    * Can't Help Falling in Love
    * The Wonder of You
    * Bridge over Troubled Water
    * You Don't Have to Say You Love Me
    * The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
    * Amazing Grace
    * An American Trilogy
    * The Impossible Dream
    * Separate Ways
    * You Gave Me a Mountain
    * My Boy
    * An Evening Prayer
    * If I Can Dream
    * Hawaiian Wedding Song

He's a romantic soul  :D

dragonboy

Quotenot just that...

but Koizumi has maybe the best hair in politics. he's rocking that surfer dude, devil-may-care coiffure.

and he looked RIGHTEOUS in those shades. dragonboy, you need a pair of those. when's your birthday?

Jan 8th...coincidence? I think not!
Just kidding, Dec 1st but I already I have a pair. Not kidding this time! I want to wear a jumpsuit to my sister's wedding, I've certainly put the weight on for it...

Koizumi really is the man, isn't he? He wears the sharpest suits! I think it was the same issue of Esquire that voted MMJ as best-dress something or other that also voted Koizumi as the best dressed PM.

Angry Ewok

I just wanted to give this thread my blessings, being that I'm related to Elvis.

8)
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

dragonboy

QuoteI just wanted to give this thread my blessings, being that I'm related to Elvis.
Bro??!!!  :o

Angry Ewok

No shittin' ya, my friend... My great-grandmother (named Mae, just like Elvis' grandma), who lived to be over a 100, would tell us all about Elvis. There were definately mixed feelings with the elders in the family, I think... They were proud he made it, you know? But a tad uncomfortable about them hips shakin and pelvis thrustin'... He was a good southern boy, but he was into that loud rock and roll music.

Ironically, my great-grandmother was a Presley who married a Smith - same as Elvis' parents.

wellfleet

QuoteI just wanted to give this thread my blessings, being that I'm related to Elvis.

big deal! i was a founding member of Thin Lizzy. where's MY love?  :D

Angry Ewok