Confession time, pt. 2

Started by Dorothy_Mantooth, Jul 06, 2006, 12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wordawg

The Bee Gees have never meant anything positive to me.
the future is Ginger

primushead

Quotei often dream of trains.

The old trains or the newer bullet trains?

ycartrob

my dearly deceased pappy loved him some flock of seagulls....called them "his favorite band of all time".  which, coincidentally, was quite strange as he was 64, worked in a steel mill his whole life, wore nothing but combat boots, and generally lived the army-vet-hunter-militiamen-redneck lifestyle.  still can't figure that out.  not many hillbillies in PA like Flock of Seagulls.  even sported a pin of theirs on his oh-so faded and nontrendy trucker hat at all times.

(scratches head)

Conaway, wow, what a great story. You know, I got in to a discussion about dads last night at a party and thought of your post. This is my pure specuIation: I would guess that the Score brothers (founders of  Flock of Seagulls), who were from Liverpool, probably had a working class dad? That there is some deep, perhaps even subconscious component to their music that relates to that life that their dad had, which is very similiar to your own dad's life? But in their pursuit for a break from that (both musically and style wise) so they played that sort of techno rock and wore outlandish clothes, not what the working class men in Liverpool (or PA) could easily identify with. But, that deeper sound and feeling totally came from their dad, and your dad got it?

I know that's a wild speculation, but I'd like to think that's how your dad got into FOS. (and again, what an amazing story. Thanks for sharing that one).

Dorothy_Mantooth

Hey Tom, when i was with whothrewthecake at Walgreen's the other night (buying some incredibly RAD coozies) they were playing Space Age Love Song over the loud speaker. It was quite the Saturday night.
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

tomEisenbraun

i think i need to hang out with you guys. too bad y'all er in texas.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Dorothy_Mantooth

more like, too bad you're up north where you can't have nice ladies pour you some good, southern tea.
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

whothrewthecake

i have a confession: i have found myself saying "i'm fixin' to" or "I might could" in social situations where it could be awkward.

dragonboy

"I'm fixin to..." I love that!
I'm going to try my best to use that expression real soon  ;D
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

EC

Quotei have a confession: i have found myself saying "i'm fixin' to" or "I might could" in social situations where it could be awkward.

corey talks like that.  ;D
corey's wife makes great sweet tea.
i bet you ladies do, too.
i had good tea in kentucky at ..  what's that heinz brothers or something?  it was nice and peachy.  but it wasn't sweet.

corey

I don't say "'m fixin' to", but my wife does.  :)

And she DOES make some awesome sweet-tea.

EC

QuoteI don't say "'m fixin' to", but my wife does.  :)

And she DOES make some awesome sweet-tea.
i confess that every time i come home from the south, i talk like you guys.  i confess that i do it when i'm there, too. ;)

i confess that i really love the people i know in the southern united states.

Dorothy_Mantooth

The South has a wonderful magic to it.

The other day, a friend asked if I had memorized Bob Dylan's entire song catalog, including lyrics and tablature. I told them that memorizing that "would be like eating a whale with a fork and a knife." Why did I say that? Why do Southerners feel the right to make up sayings? We're awesome.

tomEisenbraun

but see, we also get that liberty to make up crazy (alebit, perfect) shit like that.

i say "we" because i was born in memphis, and after my parent's divorced, my dad moved to Nashville a few years later...then Hunstville, AL and now Atlanta's suburbs. So I'm still half southern. Plus, I go to school in Nashville. So I'm almost all the way there.

I can fake the drawl like you'd never know, too.

(i kinda wanna marry a southern girl? if only for the extra hospitality?)
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Quote(i kinda wanna marry a southern girl? if only for the extra hospitality?)

you're darn right you do.

Sleazy Rider

I love the song Careless Whispers by Wham and I know this is Off topic and all but I think Jim could do sweet things with that song.
Politics. It's a drag. They put one foot in the grave, and the other on The Flag.

EC

QuoteI love the song Careless Whispers by Wham and I know this is Off topic and all but I think Jim could do sweet things with that song.

i sang that song in a recording booth in grade nine.  i think i still have the tape somewhere.
i also did walkin' on sunshine.

okay, fuck.  i did faith, too.  i had a thing for george michael.

fuck even further, i also did bette midler's the rose.

okay?  damn.

dragonboy

I sang Whitney Houston's Greatest Love Of All at karaoke last weekend as a joke. My wife, who usually enjoys my Elvis renditions etc didn't see the humour & found it very hard to hide her embarrassment  :-[
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Chills

QuoteI sang Whitney Houston's Greatest Love Of All at karaoke last weekend as a joke. My wife, who usually enjoys my Elvis renditions etc didn't see the humour & found it very hard to hide her embarrassment  :-[

"It's hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves"

I salute you Dragonboy. That is a brave musical choice!

dragonboy

I knew you'd get it! Cheers Patrick, you're the coolest!  ;)

marktwain

QuoteI sang Whitney Houston's Greatest Love Of All at karaoke last weekend as a joke. My wife, who usually enjoys my Elvis renditions etc didn't see the humour & found it very hard to hide her embarrassment  :-[

once, when I was at a karaoke bar, a lady got up to sing that one.  There were audible groans.

But by the end of the song, the bar patrons were - literally - arm-in-arm singing along at the top of our voices.  (thanks, in large part, to lots of beer and saki!)