The Thank You For Inspiring Me MMJ Thread...

Started by bluntmaster, Jun 21, 2008, 08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluntmaster

This is a thread dedicated to things the band My Morning Jacket has done to inspire your life and in which ever way that may be or have been.  I would like to request that mods delete anything even slightly negative or off topic, the idea being if the band does read this board there will be a place of sanctity for them.  a place where they can read about the core love for this group of musicians and the musical ideas they come up with.

I'll start with the cheesy rants.  

My Morning Jacket you always puzzle me, from the day I heard the albums at dawn and it still moves I was confused at first.  that's a hell of a lot of reverb, what the fuck is he saying.  and then the clarity eventually sets in.  Thanks for pushing the envelope and trying to make people happy time and time again.  I can't imagine the amount of energy and stress involved but I hope it's worth it for you guys in the long run because your music hits at the center.  if I'm having a rough day it distracts me or makes me think about it in a different way, if I'm having a good day it makes me smile or be thankful for being here.  on so many levels you guys are doing great things and I wish you the best.  Thank you for putting every ounce of energy you have into this, thanks for melting my face.

-Mark

fkinbs

Great thread.

I'd have to mention first off how impressed I am that every single album has been a progression.  

The Tennessee Fire had a minimal amount of production as ever, bringing some tunes down to a whisper, but still giving us gems like By My Car, I Will Be There When You Die, and Evelyn ... amongst others.

At Dawn took things up a notch and made us realize that this was a full band effort.  The demo of The Way That He Sings was the first song I ever heard from this band, I loved it.   Along the way came Hopefully, Lowdown, and Bermuda Highway.  Not to mention the ability to flesh things out like Steam Engine and Strangulation.  

It Still Moves showed us what could happen if they got some capital behind their franchise.  Mahgeetah isn't even a word and we love it.  Golden might be my favorite song ever, though I prefer the live performance from Acoustic Citsuoca and that Austin City Limits done with Bright Eyes and M Ward.

Then there was Z.  Even after a listen or two I didn't see much to it.  Then I was listening to the album in the middle of the night on a 26 hour trek between Austin and Detroit and I thought, "these guys are just flat out brilliant."  Into the Woods, Wordless Chorus, Dondante and Knot Comes Loose stand out for me.

Now Evil Urges.  Where to go from Z?  A few weeks into it and I adore Evil Urges, Highly Suspicious, Librarian, Smokin from Shootin and Touch Me Pt. 2.  The best part of that is that I'm Amazed and Thank You Too seem to be universally liked, so now I get to look forward to sinking into those tunes.

Overall though I must tip my cap to Jim James.  I have always said that a band and a song is best when you can take it down to one guy and one instrument, Jim can pull off any tune in the catalog along with a number of covers (Same in Any Language is great for example, plus having the balls to cover songs like Rocketman) all by himself.

What a voice, what a style, what a band.
but talk is often cheap and filled with air

bluntmaster

laylow82

The great thing about the band is that everybody has there own personal reason on why they feel such a personal connection to the music.  For me i dont even have to explain why i am so inspired by this band.  There is no way to describe it using words.  The music just hits me down deep.

Its just the way that he sings

weeniebeenie

Pat and Carl made me a better musician. They really influence the way I play. I admire their skills aswell as the rest of the band. Tommy and Bo are just incredible at what they do and Jim is the most amazing songwriter. If I could think up half the stuff he does I'd be one happy girl. An awesome band with awesome songs. :) 8-)
How loud can silence get?

Sherpa

Ive seen music differently ever since I first saw JJ perform in San Diego on the Monsters of Folk tour.

The music has been a great inspiration to me.

bluntmaster

ycartrob

Quoteone evening my friend and I ate a bunch mushrooms at his apartment.  while we were coming up we had a chocolate cupcake in the center of the kitchen table.  We stared at it until it turned the carpet and lights yellow and the ceiling was a soft blue sky, the light on the ceiling looked like a hovering ufo in a cloudy sky.  it was cool.  fun times.
Tracy, I love your pic. On The Beach is one of my favourite albums.

yep.  I always go to a new place when I hear it

DaFunkyPrecedent

God damn those shaky knees.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

QuoteBluntmaster! Gangsta Gangsta!

and hell ya funky precendent, hell fuckin ya.  did you know you're a bad ass mother fucker? wait of course you did.  keep up the good work boo

chris

I haven't read this thread yet, but I liked the title so I figured I'd contribute.  Obviously MMJ is an inspirational band to begin with, but I guess what does it for me the most is that I always come back to these guys no matter what I'm currently listening to the most, or what I'm feeling like.  As I've stated in some other threads, "At Dawn" is one of my favorite albums of all time.  That album was what drew me to this band, and like so much of their music I always find myself going back to listen to all of it, even years down the line.  When I'm listening to my ipod or computer and it's set to shuffle, and an MMJ song comes one, I rarely skip to the next track, b/c I know I want to hear it.
yeah, so if it's sad, well you still gotta live till ya die

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

QuoteI haven't read this thread yet, but I liked the title so I figured I'd contribute.  Obviously MMJ is an inspirational band to begin with, but I guess what does it for me the most is that I always come back to these guys no matter what I'm currently listening to the most, or what I'm feeling like.  As I've stated in some other threads, "At Dawn" is one of my favorite albums of all time.  That album was what drew me to this band, and like so much of their music I always find myself going back to listen to all of it, even years down the line.  When I'm listening to my ipod or computer and it's set to shuffle, and an MMJ song comes one, I rarely skip to the next track, b/c I know I want to hear it.

cool dude glad you said that.  that's EXACTLY what this threads about.  it's not supposed to be a conversation thread.  it's supposed to be a direct to the band I love you letter basically.  don't be shy people it's alright to let people know they make you feel good.  the jacket craves your love I think...