obsessing over...

Started by johnconaway, Nov 10, 2006, 08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

lately, I've become obsessed with bowler hats, high wheeler bicycles, and early phonographs.

like these:

anyone have some weird obsessions lately?  
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

bug

I've had a vintage purse and hat obsession for the last year or two.  I picked up a hat that looks a little like this one, minus the big bow

And I've got a purse like this one that I carry a lot

I have several other hats and purses but no pictures
Detroit Cobras @ The Mad Hatter, Covington KY - 7/11/07
Squirrel Nut Zippers @ Jim Porters, Louisville, KY - 7/18/07

awesome pics.  I've always felt I was out of place in the 21st century...

bug

I would just be happy if everything from the 1920's through 1960's were back in style, the clothes, shoes, hats, cars and stuff for your house.  I have one of those old Chrome and Formica diner tables that's lime green, with the vynil chairs, I love that thing.  I like all the really kitschy stuff, cool little salt and pepper shakers old plates all that stuff is really cool.  Have you been to the Unique Thrift store?  They have some really neat stuff sometimes.  That's where I get almost all my hats and purses, no luck on shoes yet but I've seen some really cool mens shoes.  

oh yeah, know the Unique quite well-back in it's glory days on poplar level road next to the american council for the blind's thrift store.

i know what you mean, i've been wanting to redo the house in a different style and retro-retro sounds like the way to go.

sounds like you have quite a collection....

bug

:)  I started going there when it was still on Poplar Level too, the one on Preston seems a little better though.  I wish I had a nice collection.  Mostly it just looks like a pile of junk right now, I need more stuff for it to be a nice collection ;D

well, you've got the chairs and table, that's a start to a nice collection, eh?

how about the one on 29th street (portland)?  that's a huge place...

bug

I can't seem to get anyone to go down there with me!  I've been spending all my money on CD's, LP's and concert tickets lately anyway  :)

why, it's such a cool place!  

oh, i know the feeling well...

bug

Because it's in Portland, oooo scary!

Anyway, I pick up little things here and there, the fun is in looking for it.  You might also like the Peddlers Mall (s) that are in the area, the one on Outer Loop is good.  One booth there as a bazillion records and a booth at the one in Hillview has all kinds of old tube radios.  

And to get us back on topic, I'm also obsessed with getting all my music uploaded to the computer, organized and copied in both MP3 and Wave files.  It seems to be taking me a while  :P

oh, I specialize in wandering and rambling off topic...but I digress yet again... :)

i'm still in the process of doing that.

thanks for the tips on those other places...i'll be checkin' those out here directly.

marktwain

Hey, John.  Good to have you back.

my obsession: big sunglasses.  

megisnotreal

MMJ_fanatic

My latest is making my own soda--I take fruit juice (the real stuff from the refrigerated aisle, not the stuff off the store shelf) and mix it ~70/30 with plain seltzer.  Yummy, bubbly and much healthier than Coke or any other soda that's full of high fructose corn syrup... :P
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Dorothy_Mantooth

"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."