Main Menu

Guitar ?

Started by kyleuga, Nov 21, 2006, 05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyleuga

So...long time fan, never posted on here before but anyways...

I'm going to get a guitar (acoustic) soon and wanted to know some ideas for a guitar to start out with that would have that MMJ sound from the early albums (tennessee, at dawn)...I know how to play, but im not very good...any ideas???  

thanks
kyle

primushead

I know Jim has had a Takamine (correct me if I'm wrong) for like 10 years that he still uses on stage.

Not a top end one by any means...but you should probably start with an Alvarez or Fender acoustic (maybe 200-400 range since you're beginning).  It all depends on your taste.  Shop around a bit and make sure the one you're getting is what YOU want, and not one that you want to sound like someone else.  

Any more, and I'll be happy to help.

corey

Keep in mind that the sound on the albums also has a lot to do with microphone placement and how it is mixed and EQed in postproduction.

Jaimoe

Get an acoustic with a solid wood front and back. Seagull makes great guitars at all prices. They may be hard to find in the U.S., but will suit you needs.

tomEisenbraun

I will swear by mine, a Taylor 110-GB.

it cost me $550 and has probably the best acoutic sound for that price range that I have ever heard.

And with all honesty, an acoustic guitar matter most about how you play it and body shape. Jim was probably on his alvarez at that point, still, which has a dreadnaught shape. So a dreadnaught shape guitar will suit you fine. You just have to know how to play it, is all. And it sounds like you're moving along just fine in that territory.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

aMD

it's about personal preference.  just decide your price range, see what's available at your price and try them out.

kyleuga

very much appreciate the responses and all of the input. ..as far as "the sound" i just meant a little more towards bluegrass/country...now that i think about it, i guess how ya play would affect this more than anything else. im gonna shop around a lot and try and find just what im lookin for...until then ill keep on practicing on my brother's martin which cost more than my life ;D

EC

martin's are lovely.
i am in deep love with my beat up yamaha f-310.  a dog bit it, and it's seen a few bumps.  it cost me $125, and i love it so much that i can't make the decision to get a pickup installed in it in case it wrecks the sound.

i have a cool takamine that i use for live shows, and it has a wonderful pickup, and it was relatively inexpensive for the nice sound it gives when plugged in.  purely on its own, however, it bites. (in a bad way)

tomEisenbraun

Has anyone tried an LR Baggs I-Beam pickup? My acoustic's saddle is funky which makes for some weirdly weak signal on the high and low E's, so I need to get something besides a piezo, and that one seems like the best idea.

has anyone tried it?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Dorothy_Mantooth

aw EC i have a yamaha too. it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Let's start a club and be co-presidentz.
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

fluffybear

I also have the Taylor 110, and couldn't agree more on the bang for your buck value.
When doctors and undertakers meet, they wink at each other.