So i just tasted a beer that i brewed...

Started by wolof, Jan 05, 2007, 07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof

And i was surpised at how awesome it is.  I kinda fell into this hobby ass-backwards...The bar i go to in Providence (the Wickenden Pub) ((if anyone is visiting RI make sure to hit it up)) ) Has a raffle every thursday night with 8 prizes. My girlfriend won the grand prize 1 month ago which consisted of the normal beer tees, bottle openers, bumper stickers and condoms but she also won a beermaking kit.  We went to get the ingredients and as of today for only $30 (ingredients) we have 45 beers of our own labeled and in bottles. We call it Red Rooster Amber Ale bc RI's state bird is the Red rooster gotta Rep. Anyways anyone else into brewing: any tips, good recipes, good intruction books, stories, revelations, revolutions?

It was fun, realitively easy and totally worth it if you like good brew, i highly suggest investing if you have any interest at all; the kit we won was $50 and we certainly plan on continued use.  

Angry Ewok

That's awesome that the home-brew worked out for you guys... I did something like that, once. Tasted ridiculously bad, though. Rather not talk about it.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Ghosts_on_TV

We made a pale ale not too long ago called Juicy J Pale ale. (In honor of Juicy J from the Three Six Mafia). It was awesome.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Ghosts_on_TV

We are working on a pilsner next we are gonna call Poppin' Pills.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

joey_rogo

My roommate got me into brewing. I pretty much watch him do it and help whenever he asks me to, but I still feel like I contribute somewhat. The best part is that it almost always tastes awesome. It feels so good sipping on a beer that you made. :)

Here's a tip:
When you try to make an Xmas beer, make sure you read exactly how much cloves you should put in. Don't guess, like we did, or else your beer will taste like cloves and nothing else. :-/ It was the only time a beer I helped with turned out like crap.

We always name our beer after animals. Our latest was called Bear and I always imagined that the big bear from It Still Moves would love it, if bears drank beer, which I'm sure they would if it was readily available to them haha.

Angry Ewok

Haha, nice! I'll have to tell Jordan about that... he'll get a kick out of it.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

colleen

congrats on your brewing success. my house in college was all about homebrewing. For the longest time we couldn't use our bathtub because there was always some brewing equip/bottles in it. oh, and I lived in Providence for a year, and have many happy memories (and quite a few hazy ones) of the Wickinden Pub. Nice to think of it again. Cheers.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

TEO

have fond memories of brewing beer in the basement with my dad in the 60's. one of my jobs was to put it in the old returnable short coke bottles and put a cap on it with a manual capping machine. of course just watching it brew was enough of a thrill.......
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

SiOuxTribe

QuoteAnd i was surpised at how awesome it is.  I kinda fell into this hobby ass-backwards...The bar i go to in Providence (the Wickenden Pub) ((if anyone is visiting RI make sure to hit it up)) ) Has a raffle every thursday night with 8 prizes. My girlfriend won the grand prize 1 month ago which consisted of the normal beer tees, bottle openers, bumper stickers and condoms but she also won a beermaking kit.  We went to get the ingredients and as of today for only $30 (ingredients) we have 45 beers of our own labeled and in bottles. We call it Red Rooster Amber Ale bc RI's state bird is the Red rooster gotta Rep. Anyways anyone else into brewing: any tips, good recipes, good intruction books, stories, revelations, revolutions?

It was fun, realitively easy and totally worth it if you like good brew, i highly suggest investing if you have any interest at all; the kit we won was $50 and we certainly plan on continued use.  

whats this thing called, and whast the process?  Do you have to buy your own hops and barely and stuff? or is it cheap and come in an 'instant beer' package?
Passion dripping from the coyote's eyes,
He can taste his blood,
An' blood never lies,
Pale face die. - Kiedis

bad bad leroy brown

We always name our beer after animals. Our latest was called Bear and I always imagined that the big bear from It Still Moves would love it, if bears drank beer, which I'm sure they would if it was readily available to them haha.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2004-08-18-beer-bear_x.htm

joey_rogo

haha that's awesome. thanks leroy, you the baddest man in the whole damn town.