Girls who play with fire...

Started by a_delle, Feb 09, 2007, 02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A_delle

...RULE the world!

So, some of you were asking questions, and I thought I'd find a place to park myself (can someone fix me a cocktail while I do this? I'd like a vodka/pomegranate/7-UP with a twist of lime... shaken AND stirred!)
ahem:

it all started {{{{diddle-li-doo, diddle-li-doo, diddle-li-doo }}}}...
here, and I was inspired

and  then i saw this, and said, "I MUST DO THAT!"

so then I got some practice poi (glow-poi, they are also called) and I practiced my ass off. You hit yourself a LOT at first, but if you have rhythm and can move well, then you can pick it up well. I practiced spinning poi for about 2 months (hours and hours a week) before I bought and lit up my first set of fire poi. The sound of fire whooshing by your head is absolutely addictive. (If you haven't already, listen on this youtube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxLGh3IUF-A  You really hear it about 8 seconds in, but it is LOUD and HOT when it is on either side of you! I will deomonstrate for any volunteer!)
So then I bought fire fingers, so I could look all creepy/scary/sexy - which works, BTW! LOL

And then I hooked up with Reno's local fire dancing performance group called Controlled Burn, where I was honed like a knife. Just kidding. I learned a lot more, hit myself a lot more, and kept at it.

If you are interested in learning more, check out these websites:
www.homeofpoi.com
www.domorepoi.com
http://www.bearclawmfg.com/
www.flammaaeterna.com
www.firetrickconcepts.com
lots of info/resources in all those links. For the do-it-yerself-er, like me!

To answer the question of "do you lite yourself on fire if you hit yourself?" Well, it is more like "when" you hit yourself, cuz we all do, and no, unless your wick is soaked with fuel and you just lit it, it generally doesn't lite you on fire. It will burn hair (I have done that enough to know), but I PROMISE I won't burn Jim's hair off. The thing about it is, the more you spin fire, the better you get at knowing exactly where your tools are in the space around you. When our group performs, we get REALLY close together many times, like this
http://www.controlledburnreno.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=712
so... it is just like learning anything else, only, it is really hot and can kill you.
I have a few scars from a few burns, but we are actually quite safe about it all because, you KNOW safety ALWAYS comes first ;)

-i got a fever,
and the only prescription
is more cowbell!

Ghosts_on_TV

Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

BH

Thanks Adelle.!  That was very entertaining.  I hope to see it live sometime!  (And I still think some slow motion shots of your group would make an excellent video for LayLow.) ;)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

EAZYE

That is unquestionably the coolest shit I have ever seen :o  Cheers A_delle for posting.  I'm sure that took a lot of courage to just jump into something you had never done before.
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

megisnotreal

Elizanne33

Wow this is very cool! or I should say hot!!! I used to be a baton twirler and always thought that one day I would twirl a fire baton, however I never did. I'll have to check your upcoming events because I would definitely make a trip up to Reno to see you guys perform.

MMJ_fanatic

Very cool lady--I think I'll get some of those "fire fingers" for myself muhahahahaha
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

dragonboy

Great thread A delle, thanks for the pics & info!  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

A_delle

QuoteI used to be a baton twirler and always thought that one day I would twirl a fire baton, however I never did.
It's NEVER too late (yeesh, I didn't even start ANY of this until I was in my 30's!)

We had a girl show up to one of our "jam" nights at the park this year with flaming double batons - she was KICK ASS! I always wanted to be drum major, but actually never had the balls to twirl that big "stick" in front of the band (yes, I was a band geek - dreamy bubble bursts *), so I guess this might just be me living out some really weird dream I have had...

thanks for anyone bored enough to be interested  ;)

it sure is exciting, tho :o
-i got a fever,
is more cowbell!

red

Seeing as you're in Reno, I'd expect Lieutenant Jim Dangle and co. to be all over your ass.

A_delle

Lt. Jim Dangle! That's great!
As long as I'm permitted, he should keep his brand of LAW away from me!  ;)
(Too bad they didn't ask our group to do a cameo in the new movie, which actually looks to be HIGHly entertaining...high!~) :D
-i got a fever,
is more cowbell!