The Simpsons Movie

Started by red, Feb 19, 2007, 11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

So I was pretty excited to see this movie.  

Then this trailer comes out:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OL50ddCSJmo

Now I'm frothing at the mouth waiting for this, I'm certain it'll be wonderful

"Rest!  Rest!"

.Walt

i don't know about it. it would have been nice to have the movie ten years ago.

am i  going to see it?...of course.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

red

The good thing is that they've been working on this for 10+ years.  

primushead

I've heard the script has been on the shelf for 7-8 years and they've pulled some jokes from it to put on the newer episodes when they can't think of anything.  True?  Who knows.  But i'm going to see this movie.

Jaimoe

The Simpsons hasn't been good for 10 years. Some episodes stand out periodically, but they should have packed the show in long ago. Too many writers, too many in-jokes and one-liners and too many plots without decent story development. The writers in particular are the one's to blame since most grew up loving the show and write accordingly.

peanut butter puddin surprise

..."they'll never stop the Simpsons....have no fears, we've got scripts for years!"  ;)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

ManNamedTruth

QuoteThe Simpsons hasn't been good for 10 years. Some episodes stand out periodically, but they should have packed the show in long ago. Too many writers, too many in-jokes and one-liners and too many plots without decent story development. The writers in particular are the one's to blame since most grew up loving the show and write accordingly.

Everything is so negative with you. It might not be as good but theres still been great episodes in the last ten years. I'll still take Simpsons any day over most current shows.   Just look at Family Guy, they're already past their prime. Didn't take very long.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Jaimoe

QuoteThe Simpsons hasn't been good for 10 years. Some episodes stand out periodically, but they should have packed the show in long ago. Too many writers, too many in-jokes and one-liners and too many plots without decent story development. The writers in particular are the one's to blame since most grew up loving the show and write accordingly.

Everything is so negative with you. It might not be as good but theres still been great episodes in the last ten years. I'll still take Simpsons any day over most current shows.   Just look at Family Guy, they're already past their prime. Didn't take very long.

Things aren't always negative with me. I was a huge fan of the show from the beginning until year seven or eight. The episodes just started to get inconsistent with more bad shows that good around that time. Many of the great writers eventually left  to pursue other ventures. I think a huge void was created when producers Greg Daniels, Al Jean and Mike Reiss left in the late 90's (although the latter two came eventually returned.  It's not as if other institutional comedies, dramas or magazines age well either, see: Saturday Night Live, Rolling Stone, Frasier etc...

I agree with your Family Guy critique. There's been far too many misses than hits since it came back.

When a comedy series ceases being funny, you gotta get out. Screw forced loyalty laughs.

FarmerYoda

i think the biggest problem with the recent ones is that htey don't end with the moral, or hte heart warming ending..  it's not that the one liners or the jokes got shittier (which is partially true, actually now that i think about it), but i think that's the key thing they're missing.  when you watch an old episode and a newer one back to back, you relaize there's something misisng.
i dont know how to articulate things succinctly. or so that htey make sense.

ugahsjekgaseerr44bgenbv434ggdfsf :)ewe4bhg43nbnrt wwe69696934ujgnwsakedkj420

Jaimoe

I really do hope the movie is funny, I just think it came 10 years too late.  

.Walt

QuoteI really do hope the movie is funny, I just think it came 10 years too late.  

i agree, but are you going to see it?
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Jaimoe

QuoteI really do hope the movie is funny, I just think it came 10 years too late.  

i agree, but are you going to see it?

Not in the theatre, but I'll see it eventually. I have a damned fine home theatre set-up and I only head to the theatres to see films that are meant for the big threatre experience.  

ratsprayer

i agree with Jaimoe.  i'm excited to see it, but it should have come out in the mid 90s.