Oh!  Sweet Validation'

Started by red, Feb 26, 2007, 12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aMD

It takes them this long to give Scorsese an Oscar?  And it took Randy Newman 26 nominations before he got his first, two reasons I don't pay much attention to the Oscars!

JacketGal

QuoteIt takes them this long to give Scorsese an Oscar?  And it took Randy Newman 26 nominations before he got his first, two reasons I don't pay much attention to the Oscars!
Exactly.

But...so Glad Marty finally won.
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

CC

they should've gotten their facts right.
'based on the Japanese movie...'
pffffff

but yeah, it was about time. even if it's far from his best work.

ManNamedTruth

As far as his last few movies go I liked Gangs Of New York the best.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

dragonboy

QuoteAs far as his last few movies go I liked Gangs Of New York the best.
I thought Gangs Of NY was cccccrrrap  :-/
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

My wife told me last night that Scorsese said he'd never make a remake & that he was angry with himself for making The Departed after he'd completed the movie.
Anyone know if that's true?
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

I could see it being a little bit disappointed with himself.  He's such a fan of cinema in general that I figured a remake with him at the helm would never happen.  Oh well, we have his Rolling Stone's documentary that is sure to absolve any film sins.  

I'll give someone an internet dollar if they can name the reference in the thread title.  8-)

Chills

I'll give someone an internet dollar if they can name the reference in the thread title.  8-)

Oh! Sweet Nuthin'! Velvet Underground?

red

Who would've thunk that the guy with the John Cale avatar would've got it?  Anyways, here's your e-dollar.

Chills

Thanks a lot Red. My first Canadian dollar. Truly a magnificent coin  :)

megisnotreal

fuck the oscars.

ever since the academy overlooked this rare gem, things haven't been the same.

Jaimoe

Doesn't anyone get annoyed at Randy Newman rewriting his movie songs over and over again yet he still gets nominated for Oscars over and over again?

Incidently, Martin said he's never seen Internal Affairs, which is a cool way to approach remaking a film.

megisnotreal

seriously, who wants to check this one out?

Theodore Rex.

The pinnacle of cinematic achievement.

http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article37.htm

(some of this dude's opinions are sort of bogus, but read the comments about the movie. hilarious.)

peanut butter puddin surprise

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

megisnotreal

http://www.space.com/sciencefiction/movies/howard_duck_000907.html

Howard the Duck is truly the best movie, ever.  ;)

just thinking about that movie makes me laugh so hard it hurts.  ;D ;D and when leah whats-her-last-name ends up having sex with the duck. oh, god. too funny. ;D

why? that's what i want to know? why was this made? at some point, wasn't someone in the production crew like, "hey, george, i'm not being a dick and this is totally your call, but we all seem to think that 'howard the duck' is going to, well... suck. just throwing that out there, man. " ??????

Taterbug

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

aMD

QuoteDoesn't anyone get annoyed at Randy Newman rewriting his movie songs over and over again yet he still gets nominated for Oscars over and over again?

No, not at all.  Randy Newman is a great muiscian especially when it comes to writing for the movies.  He has an impressive body of work and I don't think they are "rewritings".  From "Rednecks" to "I Think It's Going to Rain Today" or "You've Got a Friend in Me", we're talking about some impressive original material. I think he deserves 28 oscar nominations, the only shame is that he hasn't won more than he has and that it took them 26 niminations to get one.  But that's my opinion.

dragonboy

My introduction to Randy Newman was through his movie songs...didn't he write some songs for Parenthood?
I agree with Jaimoe, they all sound the same to me. Can't say I'm  a fan.

ManNamedTruth

Making fun of Randy Newman is a good thing
Family Guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbjFfujojh4&mode=related&search=
MadTV (I could only find this version with German dubbed over parts):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiwEKnQNXI4
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!