RIP Kurt Vonnegut

Started by johnconaway, Apr 12, 2007, 07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070412/ap_on_re_us/obit_vonnegut

One of my all time favorite authors...rest in peace my old friend.  :'(
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

megisnotreal

A truly brilliant man. May he find as much beauty, truth, and joy in the next life as his words brought to mine.

A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved.
-from Sirens of Titan

aMD

that sucks!  He was one of my favorite authors.  My favorite of his books was Cat's Cradle.  I also have a book written under the psuedonymn Kilgore Trout called Venus on the Halfshell, which is fantastic!

ratsprayer

ManNamedTruth

RIP Kurt
Breakfast of Champions is truly the most bizarre and entertaining thing i've ever read, but its the only book i've read by him. Which one would any of you reccomend next?
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Mr. T.

Touching...

I feel like I have to read slaughterhouse 5 now...
We are young despite the years,
we are concern,
we are hope despite the times

QuoteWhich one would any of you reccomend next?

Tough call...Slaughterhouse Five would be a good one.  So would Mother Night.  Cat's Cradle is good as well.  Player Piano, The Sirens of Titan, Slapstick...shoot, just read em all!

MarkW

I have just finished Slaughterhouse 5.  A remarkable book, and one which has been echoed in recent years in novels such as The Time Traveller's Wife, Time's Arrow and (stretching the point) Cloud Atlas.

Reading the obit above was interesting.  He sounded like quite the character.  Describing the Bush administration as "upper-crust C-students who know no history or geography" is the most devastatingly accurate assessment I have come across.

She said she was going to join a church as soon as she decided which one was right.  She never did decide.  She did develop a terrific hankering for a crucifix, though.  And she bought one from a Santa Fe gift shop during a trip the little family made out West during the Great Depression.  Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops. - Slaughterhouse 5
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Capt Tink TANK

i've read most of his work and was/am in love with it/him.  breakfast of champions has to be my favorite.
it's such a shame. :'(

he tripped and fell on his head and died.
really, no disrespect intended, but i think that is just... perfect. really, the only way that such a crazy intellect can go.  i really don't mean to be so morbid.
it's just so unbeliveable... rest in peace, sir.

ManNamedTruth

Anyone notice my signature?
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

The fact that he lived so long and was such an unapolegetic smoker is just amazing to me.  Gives me hope... ;)

megisnotreal

QuoteThe fact that he lived so long and was such an unapolegetic smoker is just amazing to me.  Gives me hope... ;)

oh no, he was all about the filter-less Pall Malls...but you got the brand!  ;)

Can you imagine, smoking unfiltered cigs for say...fifty years or so?  Your lungs would look like rotten sauerkraut roasted in an old catcher's mitt.