Don Imus fired

Started by ycartrob, Apr 12, 2007, 07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

Too bad he's not a main stream rap artist, a line like, "Nappy headed 'ho" could have landed him a major record contract, magazine covers, a world tour, and millions!

I guess there's a fine line between poet and racist.

EAZYE

I thought they weren't going to fire him :-/
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

The DARK

People are oversensitive these days. Not that I approve of what he says, but I don't think that what, 3 words should ruin a guy's life. He'll have no crediblity from now on.

Honestly, if people weren't offended so easily, the world would be a better place.
In another time, in another place, in another face

vespachick

This Then by Charles Bukowski:

it's the same as before
or the other time
or the time before that.
here's a cock
and here's a cunt
and here's trouble.

only each time
you think
well now I've learned:
I'll let her do that
and I'll do this,
I no longer want it all,
just some comfort
and some sex
and only a minor
love.

now I'm waiting again
and the years run thin.
I have my radio
and the kitchen walls
are yellow.
I keep dumping bottles
and listening
for footsteps.

I hope that death contains
less than this.
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Angry Ewok

Imus has been fired, despite his groveling apologies. Cool with me - nobody listened to him, anyway. Now, maybe something along the same lines should happen to the people responsible for ruining the lives of the Duke Lacross players (incidentaly, the same people who rejected Imus' apoligies).
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

fitzcarraldo

Double standards  :-/

Love the bear!  ;D

megisnotreal

It's not as if Imus has never said anything hateful before. He's been spewing out misogynisitc, racist, and homophobic comments for a long time now, and the only reason that it's a big deal now is because of the controversy. Because someone finally called him out on it.

I think the double standard in society is ridiculous. I have a serious problem with anyone's debasing women, be it Don Imus or Don Magic Juan.

ycartrob

QuoteI have a serious problem with anyone's debasing women, be it Don Imus or Don Magic Juan.

when I first read that, I read Magic Johnson and thought, "Did I miss something?"

megisnotreal

QuoteI have a serious problem with anyone's debasing women, be it Don Imus or Don Magic Juan.

when I first read that, I read Magic Johnson and thought, "Did I miss something?"

;)

fitzcarraldo

I resent my comment. Just watched the sixty minutes.

ycartrob

QuoteI resent my comment. Just watched the sixty minutes.

and...??

vespachick

Hmm, I just watched 60 Minutes, and I don't see how that changes anything.  
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

fitzcarraldo

Hey Tracy!  After seeing that story about him clearly he doesn't belong on the air. I know he can be a jerk, I had no clue he's that bad.  My ignorance. :-X

curtq

I don't think people are oversensitive about this shite that happens, I think the guy deserves to be fired, just like in any work environment, when it comes to disrespecting women or black people or any race.  sure there are double-standards and thats where most defense leads to and then the people who are not responsible are to be ?ed

Dorothy_Mantooth

OMGx5 you guys this reminds me of that one time that ann coulter said a bad word and all she got was another book deal and a hair straightener sap8odf7o;aso;idsu;odhd;aso8d67f   8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

fitzcarraldo

ha ha, I used to listen to Don alot when I was a kid. Haven't paid attention in the last 15 or so years.  Hence...  

MMJ_fanatic

why do all the filthy mouthed rappers get a pass?  I mean the record labels could drop them too right?  Oh wait that would be CENSORSHIP!   :-X

P.S.--we all know this was more about CBS's relationship with the NCAA more than them "trying to do the right thing", right?
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

NoVa_NoLa

Quotewhy do all the filthy mouthed rappers get a pass?  I mean the record labels could drop them too right?  Oh wait that would be CENSORSHIP!   :-X

I don't know anyone who would call that censorship...but what the labels would call it is a loss of revenue.  That's likely why they haven't been dropped.  If people stopped buying, they'd be dropped from their labels like all the other bands that don't appear to make a label any money.  Lord knows that with out the rappers to blame, the media wouldn't know where to turn to push up ratings.

QuoteP.S.--we all know this was more about CBS's relationship with the NCAA more than them "trying to do the right thing", right?

Abso-bloody-lutely!