Main Menu

Its a Band...

Started by ctdeadhead, Aug 06, 2008, 10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTdeadhead

I stopped in Walgreens tonight to sooth my aching back and as I parked my car, an older woman (who sort of reminded me of Mountain Girl, if you know who that is was standing beside my car staring at the side of my car.  I realized that she was staring at the sticker I have, the blue one with the logo and skeletons...she said confused...."I don't understand....".

I smiled and said, "Its a Band".  I fucking love that.  

Angry Ewok

Today, I was talking to a nurse about music and it's affect on blood pressure, when I brought up My Morning Jacket - he was like, "What?"

Only the truly cool people in this world have been baptized in the healing power of reverb.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

searchinbig

QuoteToday, I was talking to a nurse about music and it's affect on blood pressure, when I brought up My Morning Jacket - he was like, "What?"

Only the truly cool people in this world have been baptized in the healing power of reverb.

;D  ;D  I'm still amazed at how many people never heard of MMJ.
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

easy way

Well put Brad...well put.
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

SomethingCreative

QuoteToday, I was talking to a nurse about music and it's affect on blood pressure, when I brought up My Morning Jacket - he was like, "What?"

I think the masses are slowly starting to come around.  I was in startbucks the other day and they were playing "I'm Amazed"...people seemed to be digging it, but didn't know who it was.  I could hear them behind me in line talking about it.  I shared my knowledge :)

that being said...I've only been listening to them for about a year (lollapalooza 07 sucked me in forever)
"Ok, we'll stay for Pearl Jam if  you promise to  watch My Morning Jacket." - 2 girls at lolla 07

DaFunkyPrecedent

I'm not....it's not like they've had a hit.  Just because they're fucking amazing, doesn't mean people should have heard about them.  For example, I didn't know who WSP was until 4 years ago...
God damn those shaky knees.

MMJ_fanatic

Yeah I was at a show at Great Woods Tweeter Center Comcast Center a couple weeks ago and saw a dude with a Bonnaroo 08 shirt on and I asked him if he caught the now legendary MMJ latenight set and he was like "Who?".  Believe you me he was provided a thorough crash course upon uttering those words and he promised to check them out after a fist bump. :)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Crispy

My opinion is that most people in this world don't really like music or 'get it', they just think they do. As evidence, I point to the popularity of American Idol, as well as nearly every fucking radio station you can point your dial to. Or, those that actually do know music have been hammered into only liking whatever 'genre' they think they're supposed to like, and refuse to step outside those boundaries. One guy I know is a long-time guitar player (in the metal vein) and when I tried to turn him on to MMJ, he listened to Mahgeetah and said, "too country" and wouldn't even bother listening to any more. How can a guy who plays guitar not totally dig  MMJ?  :o :o :o
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

vespachick

QuoteMy opinion is that most people in this world don't really like music or 'get it', they just think they do. As evidence, I point to the popularity of American Idol, as well as nearly every fucking radio station you can point your dial to. Or, those that actually do know music have been hammered into only liking whatever 'genre' they think they're supposed to like, and refuse to step outside those boundaries.

AMEN brother!!
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

coupon

I know Mountain Girl. We're all just playin', playin' in the band.

Angry Ewok

Quote...he listened to Mahgeetah and said, "too country" and wouldn't even bother listening to any more. How can a guy who plays guitar not totally dig  MMJ?  :o :o :o

This sort of blasphemy should never be recorded!

:-X :-/
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

weeniebeenie

I had to order a copy of Okonokos (this was about 8 months ago) from my cd store cause they are so unknown in Oz. They ordered two copies cause if it's in demand then they still have a copy to sell. I went back today and that other copy is still there!
How loud can silence get?

Crispy

Quote...he listened to Mahgeetah and said, "too country" and wouldn't even bother listening to any more. How can a guy who plays guitar not totally dig  MMJ?  :o :o :o

This sort of blasphemy should never be recorded!

:-X :-/
And that's why this guy is dead to me now. He knows not that he blasphemed, but I expect him to be smited from above any day now. Actually I work with him and he's a really nice guy, but jeez man! If he went to an MMJ show, I'm sure he'd be an instant convert. Except he might still have that I'm-too-cool-to-change-my-mind-now attitude. I haven't told him about Hammett playing with them on OBH at the Roo tho...
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

EvilGirl

I was at a festival last weekend and was sitting by my tent playing Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Part II which I think is a fantastic song.  A friend of a friend who was camping with us walked up to me and said "I don't know who that is playing but I really don't like it, can you turn it off".  I didn't want to cause an argument for the sake of my other friend so I turned if off, but not before telling her that it is a brilliant track by a great band and she has no taste in music!

ManNamedTruth

QuoteI was at a festival last weekend and was sitting by my tent playing Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Part II which I think is a fantastic song.  A friend of a friend who was camping with us walked up to me and said "I don't know who that is playing but I really don't like it, can you turn it off".  I didn't want to cause an argument for the sake of my other friend so I turned if off, but not before telling her that it is a brilliant track by a great band and she has no taste in music!

I would've turned it up, I have no tolerance for that sort of behavior.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

easy way

Zero tolerance... ;)
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

pawpaw

QuoteMy opinion is that most people in this world don't really like music or 'get it', they just think they do. As evidence, I point to the popularity of American Idol, as well as nearly every fucking radio station you can point your dial to. Or, those that actually do know music have been hammered into only liking whatever 'genre' they think they're supposed to like, and refuse to step outside those boundaries. One guy I know is a long-time guitar player (in the metal vein) and when I tried to turn him on to MMJ, he listened to Mahgeetah and said, "too country" and wouldn't even bother listening to any more. How can a guy who plays guitar not totally dig  MMJ?  :o :o :o

You're right dude. So many people use music as a fucking accessory. It's like matching their taste in music with their wardrobe to stay up to date with what's cool. MOST PEOPLE DON'T REALLY LISTEN TO, OR TRULY FEEL INSPIRED BY MUSIC!

On the other hand, I'm glad that not everyone likes MMJ. More for me  :)
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

searchinbig

QuoteI was at a festival last weekend and was sitting by my tent playing Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Part II which I think is a fantastic song.  A friend of a friend who was camping with us walked up to me and said "I don't know who that is playing but I really don't like it, can you turn it off".  I didn't want to cause an argument for the sake of my other friend so I turned if off, but not before telling her that it is a brilliant track by a great band and she has no taste in music!

Hard to understand I know. I think with MMJ either you get it or you don't. I think sometimes when JJ screams or you don't understand what he's singing may turn some people off. I was listening to Wordless one day at work when the cd first came out and people just looked at me and said those guys suck, turn that off! So I just say to myself "you ignorant assholes!"

My kids are 9 and 15 and they rock with me to MMJ, especially the little guy. Unfortunately my wife does not really like MMJ. If I'm listening and them and JJ hits those highs on say Golden, or Dondante or Gideon she just shakes her head. I still don't get it, maybe never will.

The people who don't listen to MMJ are denying themselves of some GREAT music.
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

TheBigChicken

She couldn't even make it through 1 fucking song...Damn,that was the GREAT thing about 8 tracks. You HAD to listen to it all
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

upstatestruggler

Quote... he promised to check them out after a fist bump. :)

great. now everyone will think that mmj and their fans are terrorists. terrorist fist jabbers like the obamas.

WAY TO GO

too heavy for the hippies