Kansas City  Barbecue

Started by ycartrob, Jun 12, 2007, 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

OK, so I am driving through Kansas City this Saturday with my mom, on our way to South Dakota. Looking for reccomendations for the best BBQ in Kansas City....

Anyone?

vespachick

My best friend's girlfriend lives there; gimme a minute or two..

EDIT:

I left him a voicemail and he's a flaky musician so it may a little while, but don't worry, he'll absolutely know - he might be flaky but he's also a foody.
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

BH

If you only go to one place I would suggest Arthur Bryant's.   All things being equal, I would go to the original location.

http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/

Another option would be Gate's.

http://www.gatesbbq.com/

Both are excellent in my opionion but some people have different ideas of what Bar BQ should be.  I think you will like it.  

Also, expect rude employees.  That's just the way it is.   Both places, at least the locations I have been, are counter service.   So, it won't cost you much at either of these places.

DO NOT go to anything that is a chain type place.

Finally, grab extra napkins!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

vespachick

Yes!  Great minds think alike.  My friend also recommends Arthur Bryant's as his #1 as well.  It's a little unusual in that the sauce isn't sweet, but it is very tasty - he's brought me a bottle to use at home.  

He also suggested Gates as his second favorite and is good if you prefer the classic, sweet sort of sauce.

He couldn't remember the name of another one that's located in the Riverfront Market, but said it's kind of cool because the food is tasty and if it's not raining there will be bands playing and such.

Have a great trip! :)
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

BH

QuoteYes!  Great minds think alike.  My friend also recommends Arthur Bryant's as his #1 as well.  It's a little unusual in that the sauce isn't sweet, but it is very tasty - he's brought me a bottle to use at home.  

He also suggested Gates as his second favorite and is good if you prefer the classic, sweet sort of sauce.

He couldn't remember the name of another one that's located in the Riverfront Market, but said it's kind of cool because the food is tasty and if it's not raining there will be bands playing and such.

Have a great trip! :)

That's great!  If he ever thinks of the third one let me know, I would like to try it next time I'm there.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

.Walt

i'm 100% percent for Arthur Bryant's. i went there two years ago, and i'm still craving it. (my mouth is watering right now!) i went with the pulled pork (brunt tips) open face, with fries.  it was huge and so worth it. i dare someone one to finish that, i couldn't even get close. also, i suggestion going to the original one, the atmosphere has got it going on. i know you're a man that likes a good barbecue, so go with Bryant's.

also get it to go, and just sit down. the wrapper gives more room to eat and make a mess, then a plate.

the last time i had KC barbecue, i went to rosedales in the spring, and it didn't touch bryants. it was good though, but the atmosphere wasn't there.

Much Greater Than Science Fiction

ycartrob

this is wonderful! Thank you all so much!   :)

mjkoehler

Quotethis is wonderful! Thank you all so much!   :)

If you are driving through Omaha, look up Skeets BBQ. They used to have the best Q in Omaha. Smoke Pit is all right and there was a place in the hood calls Bill's (just off of 24th & Ames St) that was pretty killer and so was the neighborhood. In fact all of them were in crappy neighborhoods.

EC

tracy, are you going to your special place this weekend???
if so - have a WONDERFUL time with your mom!!

ycartrob

Quotetracy, are you going to your special place this weekend???
if so - have a WONDERFUL time with your mom!!

Yes! I have not spent any quality time with mom since 1990 when she came to Boston and we went New England leaf peepin'.

EC

i'm totally excited for you. :)
i just got all shivery!

ycartrob

Thanks for all the input about Arthur Bryant's! One of the best meals I have ever had!!

corey

Holy shit. That looks like one helluva sandwich.

mjkoehler

god god, that sambitch belongs in the same class as the Baconator. Man that looks really good.

BH

Oh man, I gotta get back there soon!  

Hope you had a great trip man.   Sounds like a great way to spend some QT with Mom.  So did this year's trip have a theme album?  I believe it was Fox Confessor last time and At Dawn the year before?

ycartrob

QuoteOh man, I gotta get back there soon!  

Hope you had a great trip man.   Sounds like a great way to spend some QT with Mom.  So did this year's trip have a theme album?  I believe it was Fox Confessor last time and At Dawn the year before?

no, nothing this year. However, my mom (who is 75) is now a closet Spoon fan.

BH