Anyone else crushed by the Man vs. Wild News?

Started by bowl_of_soup, Jul 24, 2007, 05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowl of soup

He squeezes the water out of Elephant shit for a drink, has used his own urine for at least 2 different purposes (hydration and warmth), and eats maggots off of rotting dead animals - AND IT'S ALL FAKE (or at least some of it).  I'm personally devastated.  I bet Survivorman doen't eat blueberry pancakes and sleep in hotels.  Read the depressing news here:

http://www.reuters.com/article/televisionNews/idUSN2439321520070724

What are you gonna tell me next?  Survivor isn't 100% real?
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

primushead

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!  I love that show so much...I personally am very sad to hear this.  Sadder than after hearing Bear pronounce, "Glacier".  

Tree

:'( :'( :'(
I loved Man vs Wild and watched all the episodes on youtube. There were so many great episodes like the one in the Moab desert...

joey_rogo

i've always liked survivorman better....but yeah, this guy pronounced the word 'glacier' better than anyone.

kymoose

Regardless of these allegations....Bear is still the MAN......he climbs 40 foot palm trees with only his Merrell's on....he regularly takes 15-20 foot jumps onto rock....and swims class III/IV rapids.  The guy is a freak, and I can't stop watching.

bowl of soup

QuoteNOOOOOOOOOOOO!  I love that show so much...I personally am very sad to hear this.  Sadder than after hearing Bear pronounce, "Glacier".  

My favorite is vit-a-mins.  Such as, "This pile of tiger dung contains loads of vit-a-min C, so I will eat it."

vespachick

What a relief!  I thought you were going to say it had been cancelled!!

If the 'taming the horse' episode didn't clue us all in that it is at least partially fake, well, what will??  Who cares if it's not autentico, Bear is one foxy mountain man!
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Kel

I don't mind.  It's entertainment, ya know?  I mean, all the other stuff he does is really crazy...jumping into frozen lakes & quicksand, biting the head off of a live snake, squeezing elephant poo water into his mouth.

He's accused of staying in motels/hotels on a few occasions, oh well.  I'll still enjoy the show!!  There's no way he's stayed in hotels for EVERY single taping

survivorman is cool but he makes me fall asleep, every time i watch him.  

at least bear still gives tips to everyone on how to stay alive in a situation where they would be caught like that.  

Kel

QuoteWhat a relief!  I thought you were going to say it had been cancelled!!

If the 'taming the horse' episode didn't clue us all in that it is at least partially fake, well, what will??  Who cares if it's not autentico, Bear is one foxy mountain man!

very foxy!

bowl of soup

I care.  I love that show and it has been totally ruined - I can't watch it anymore.  I mean I'm not jumping from a bridge any time soon, but a working stiff like myself puts in 10 to 12 hours every day, plays with the kids, and enjoys the company of my wife for an hour or two.  All I want from my tv is mindless entertainment and an hour of not thinking - perhaps a little daydreaming.

Despite the backpeddling, they do present that show as a real survival scenario.  If it got too dangerous and ole Bear needed a little assistance, then TELL US!  It would make the show more interesting to know that someone as able as that crazy person occasionally fails in really bad situations.

The horse episode had me thinking and the raft in the middle of the pacific had me really scratching my head, but I still bought it.  I guess I'm stupid.  We shall forgive him because he's hot????

It's sorta like buying tickets to an MMJ show and getting there only to be treated to a really loud playing of Okonokos.  Still fine music with entertianment value, but an utter letdown.

knotcameloose

The horse episode had me thinking and the raft in the middle of the pacific had me really scratching my head, but I still bought it.  I guess I'm stupid.

One of the best things I ever learned was in a film class in college.

Always ask yourself: how are they doing this?  Where's the camera, where's the lights, etc.
The first episode I watched was when he took that zip line across a big chasm...and the shot was from directly overhead!  I mean, it was open sky, then Bear on the line and then the gorge below.  The shot couldn't have been on any ledge or anything. they must've been in a helicopter, and this was two or three days into the show.

So, I figured it to be a ruse after that, but it is still fun.  And he still drinks poop water, so unless that's fake too...I'm OK with it.

;D

knotcameloose

Dirty Jobs on the other hand, there's a show.  Mike Rowe fucks up every time and laughs about it.  Now that's funny.

vespachick

We shall forgive him because he's hot????

It's sorta like buying tickets to an MMJ show and getting there only to be treated to a really loud playing of Okonokos.  Still fine music with entertianment value, but an utter letdown.

No, it is indeed a let down - I agree with you there.  After I saw the horse episode my nephew pointed out to me how much of the rest of it is staged and I thought I would never be able to watch as happily again.  Turn out I can!!  It's just a bonus that he happens to be a good lookin' fella!
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Kel

I care.  I love that show and it has been totally ruined - I can't watch it anymore.  I mean I'm not jumping from a bridge any time soon, but a working stiff like myself puts in 10 to 12 hours every day, plays with the kids, and enjoys the company of my wife for an hour or two.  All I want from my tv is mindless entertainment and an hour of not thinking - perhaps a little daydreaming.

Despite the backpeddling, they do present that show as a real survival scenario.  If it got too dangerous and ole Bear needed a little assistance, then TELL US!  It would make the show more interesting to know that someone as able as that crazy person occasionally fails in really bad situations.

The horse episode had me thinking and the raft in the middle of the pacific had me really scratching my head, but I still bought it.  I guess I'm stupid.  We shall forgive him because he's hot????

I can see what you're saying, but I never really took the show that seriously anyway.  I watched it purely for its entertainment value.  It's still fun to watch for me and Bear is still hilarious!  I will enjoy it just as much now as I did before.  

bowl of soup

Found it interesting that they pulled all of the man v. wilds last week in favor of Survivorman - the contrast is delicious.  Les' raft was surely not built by experts.  Screw Bear - new best show on t.v:  No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain on Travel.  Kitchen Confidential is great book also.  Anyone who's worked in restaurants will get it.