My Morning Jacket take its cues from R&B, rock

Started by Dodobird, Aug 21, 2008, 03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodobird

Interesting Article. When I first heard MMJ I thought there were two lead singers. Then I came to realize that JJ just had an amazing voice and could sing as different characters. I always thought he sounded like Kermit the frog but never realized The Muppet Show actually had an affect on him.  

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/stories/DN-MMJ_0821gl.ART.State.Edition1.4da763d.html

The guys in My Morning Jacket live in Kentucky, play electric guitars and sport facial hair, all of which can add up to only one thing.

Also Online
Concert info: My Morning Jacket
They're Southern rockers, right?

No dice. As the band proves on its fifth CD, Evil Urges, it's more influenced by R&B and funk than by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

"People assume we're a certain type of band based on how we look," says singer Jim James. "But we all have pretty diverse music collections, and we're always trying something different."

That's an understatement. On Evil Urges, the band travels from the Philly soul stylings of "Thank You Too!" to the Prince-like synthesizer funk of "Highly Suspicious." Growing up in Louisville in the 1980s, Mr. James says, he was awed by the R&B records his parents would play.

Autumn DeWilde
Don't let that Southern- rocker look fool you. These guys are heavily influenced by R&B performers, including Dallas' own Erykah Badu. "You listen to Stevie Wonder's records and there's Beatles production techniques and acoustic guitars, and you listen to Bill Withers, and it's a folk record mixed with a soul record," he says. "Back then, rock and R&B were more mixed than they are now, and we're really inspired by that."

Nowhere is that more evident than at My Morning Jacket's concerts, where the band jumps from its own Who-like guitar anthems to songs by Funkadelic, Sly Stone and Erykah Badu. Mr. James says he was first drawn to Ms. Badu's 1997 hit "Tyrone" because it gives him the chance to sing his own name ("You gotta bring Jim, James, Paul and Tyrone").

"That's the silly reason we did it. But it's also a fantastic song," he says, adding that if he could sing "Tyrone" live with Ms. Badu, it would be "a dream come true."

"Erykah's definitely one of the top ones out there today. She's a great artist who incorporates all sorts of music into her records. It's not all just preprogrammed."

Artists who push boundaries fascinate Mr. James. Ask him about his childhood love for The Muppet Show, and the singer could talk for hours.

"Television is a dangerous medium because it hypnotizes people and totally sucks the creativity out of your brain. But when it's used correctly and thoughtfully, like The Muppet Show, it can be a really powerful thing," he says.

"I sing a lot of songs in different voices, as different characters, and that probably crept in from The Muppet Show."

But while he often role-plays in his tunes, he also sings about his own life. He wrote the philosophic "Two Halves" about his tendency to "get caught up in the past or the future. It's tough sometimes to be grateful for what you have right now."

In "Librarian," he imagines a love affair from across the bookshelves.

"I'm a shy guy, and I happen to be single at the moment, so if I see somebody I'm attracted to, it'll become a fantasy for me to wonder what it would be like to have a real relationship with them," he says.

A lot of rock bands fantasize about groupies or strippers. Leave it to My Morning Jacket to fantasize about women with degrees in library science.

"Yeah," he says, laughing. "We've really cornered the huge market on librarian lust."
Wakin up feelin good and limber!

Sparkle

"Yeah," he says, laughing. "We've really cornered the huge market on librarian lust."

;D ;D ;D

j_rud

The Jacket take their cues from no one...no one on earth, anyway...
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

j_rud

Nowhere is that more evident than at My Morning Jacket's concerts, where the band jumps from its own Who-like guitar anthems to songs by Funkadelic, Sly Stone and Erykah Badu. Mr. James says he was first drawn to Ms. Badu's 1997 hit "Tyrone" because it gives him the chance to sing his own name ("You gotta bring Jim, James, Paul and Tyrone").

"That's the silly reason we did it. But it's also a fantastic song," he says, adding that if he could sing "Tyrone" live with Ms. Badu, it would be "a dream come true."

Funny, was just reading this:

http://musicblog.guidelive.com/archives/2008/08/erykah-badu-loves-my-morning-j.html

Today, we profiled My Morning Jacket, who make no secret of their love for Erykah Badu. Now Badu tells us she "loves" the group's version of her '97 hit "Tyrone." "They put a new twist on it," she says. "It's bluesy and soulful, where my version is more joking. I think I prefer their version to mine." Badu calls the Kentucky rockers "one of my favorite bands" and says she plans on seeing them Saturday night at the Palladium Ballroom.
Thats so damn cool...I have a feeling that Saturdays audience will be in for a treat...how awesome that would be... :D
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

Penny Lane

"I'm a shy guy, and I happen to be single at the moment, so if I see somebody I'm attracted to, it'll become a fantasy for me to wonder what it would be like to have a real relationship with them," he says.

(sigh) ::)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

sweatboard

Quote"I'm a shy guy, and I happen to be single at the moment, so if I see somebody I'm attracted to, it'll become a fantasy for me to wonder what it would be like to have a real relationship with them," he says.

Now, I REAllY need to think about what I'm going to wear to the Atl. show.  
There's Still Time.........

Dodobird

Quote"I'm a shy guy, and I happen to be single at the moment, so if I see somebody I'm attracted to, it'll become a fantasy for me to wonder what it would be like to have a real relationship with them," he says.

I thought that quote would get the ladies excited!  ;)
Wakin up feelin good and limber!

BH

http://musicblog.guidelive.com/archives/2008/08/erykah-badu-loves-my-morning-j.html

Today, we profiled My Morning Jacket, who make no secret of their love for Erykah Badu. Now Badu tells us she "loves" the group's version of her '97 hit "Tyrone." "They put a new twist on it," she says. "It's bluesy and soulful, where my version is more joking. I think I prefer their version to mine." Badu calls the Kentucky rockers "one of my favorite bands" and says she plans on seeing them Saturday night at the Palladium Ballroom.

OK, who's people do we need to talk to who's people to get this thing off the ground?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

easy way

my thoughts exactly...that shit would be so, so hot!  8-)
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

Love Dogg

This cleared up a lot for me.  Thanks for posting.

"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."