Ryan Adams freaks out

Started by primushead, Sep 29, 2007, 01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

primushead

http://www.ocregister.com/entertainment/adams-sound-last-1854060-guitar-guitarist

The Associated Press

Ryan Adams pitched another fit for a Minneapolis audience, a few years after his last local meltdown.

Throughout a show Thursday night, the 32-year-old singer-guitarist complained about the sound monitors onstage at the State Theatre. At one point, he moved two monitors, his microphone and his guitar pedals.

After 70 minutes he'd had enough. Adams announced "the last song," played it and didn't return for an encore. Many fans stood and booed.

"I don't know what the story was," guitarist Neal Casal told the Star Tribune afterward. "I just play guitar."

In 2003, Adams gave a famously bad performance at First Avenue, a rambling two-hour show where he griped about the sound system, played several songs twice and lambasted local rock legend Paul Westerberg.

Good ol' Ryan has still got it. ::)

ratsprayer

bob dylan is a prick, but he never does this sort of stuff.  i know there are a lot of RA fans here, but i'd like some argument as to how his bullshit antics are worth it?

aMD

Quotebob dylan is a prick, but he never does this sort of stuff.  i know there are a lot of RA fans here, but i'd like some argument as to how his bullshit antics are worth it?

the music's good.

ycartrob

Quotebob dylan is a prick, but he never does this sort of stuff.  i know there are a lot of RA fans here, but i'd like some argument as to how his bullshit antics are worth it?

I was at his "famous" Ryman meltdown, and while I love some of his music, I won't be seeing him play live again.

ratsprayer

eh....he's released enough music that some of it is bound to be good by the principle of odds.  that said, i wouldn't spend money to see any show that had a chance of turning out like that.  maybe quitting cold turkey wasn't such a good idea?

mjkoehler

Does he still play Summer of 69?

Jellyfish

the music's good.
Ditto
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

sweatboard

QuoteDoes he still play Summer of 69?

;D  z-z-z-z--z-ZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!  raaaazzzZZZOR sharp.
There's Still Time.........

mjkoehler

Thank you for coming folks. Be sure to try the Veal!

ManNamedTruth

i have tickets for Oct 29th, hope all goes well :-/
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

.Walt

damn it. i wanted to go that show. fuck thursdays i've had to miss so many shows because of school. is it wrong that i would like to be at a show that a meltdown occurs.

hopefully, the hold steady have a meltdown. they're playin' at the same place...i think?
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

TheBigChicken

sorry folks but hearing shit like that makes me fucking sick..sounds to me like one big SPOILED ASSHOLE....could you ever imagine mmj pulling a stunt like that...no way..truly SAD :-/
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

EC

there's nothing worse than not feeling supported by a good sound system.
there's nothing worse than a performer who forgets that people paid to see a show and don't give a fuck about whether the sound system is working out for them or not.

TEO

"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

aMD

Quotesorry folks but hearing shit like that makes me fucking sick..sounds to me like one big SPOILED ASSHOLE....could you ever imagine mmj pulling a stunt like that...no way..truly SAD :-/

the first time they played the palace as part of the etown radio show, they came damn close. they cut an already short set even shorter. Jim was visibly pissed about the sound, it was the worst I've ever heard the band and at the end Jim didn't say thank you or anything to the audience he kinda stormed off in a huff.  Not that that is on par with the shit RA does, I'm just saying, not having good sound can be very frustrating for artists. Jim's told me in the past the how good the sound is directly relates to how much he is "into" the show.  If the sound's good and he doesn't have to worry about it, he can close his eyes and let go.

LizKing531

Damn, beat me to it

JacketGal

I saw Mr. Adams this past saturday and it was amazingly beautiful and he was in very good spirits. They opened with an inspried version of Magnolia Mountain ( which happened to be my wish for the opener! :)) and simply delivered note after note of amazing music. Other highlights were Two, Good Night Rose, Dear Chicago Resuce Blues, Let it Ride, and Cold Roses...umm, I guess most of it was a highlight.

The first encore was just Ryan solo altering from piano to guitar. His voice just stops you from doing anything but listening to the man.  He joked that he tought the Cardinals went off to play another gig. My only complaint was that even during the upbeat songs people were sitting - and worse one obnoxious guy screaming for people to sit down. I wish people had to go to Concert Going 101 before attending a show.  :o

The set is here:
Went on 8:30

1. Magnolia Mountain
2. Dear Chicago
3. Beautiful Sorta
4. Goodnight Rose ("smoking")
5. Rescue Blues
6. The Sun Also Sets ("still smoking" - that's figurative)
7. When the Stars Go Blue
8. Two
9. Let It Ride
10. Wildflowers
11. Peaceful Valley
12. Nightbirds (ryan on piano)
13. Please Do Not Let Me Go
14. Off Broadway
15. Cold Roses

off at 9:45
back on a few minutes later

16. Sylvia Plath (solo piano)
17. Call Me On Your Way Back Home (solo guitar)
18. Sweet Lil Gal (solo piano)
19. Why Do They Leave (solo guitar)
20. Brown Sugar (solo piano)

full band back
21. Dear John
22. Freeway to the Canyon

off 10:25ish
back on a few minutes later
23. Goodnight Hollywood Blvd

Ended 10:30
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

NoVa_NoLa

Quotei have tickets for Oct 29th, hope all goes well :-/

I've got tickets for the 30th...Hopefully, he'll be in a good mood and able to withstand whatever issues might come his way that night.  IMHO, it is not worth it for me to go if he's gonna behave badly.  The music is great, but if he's ranting and raving, he ain't singing and playing.