bouncers in clubs

Started by EC, Oct 05, 2007, 09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

i've had a couple of weird experiences with bouncers before.  i know people who used to do that kind of work, and i've heard some real bad stories.  there are also very good bouncers/security guards in the world, for sure.

here's a link that got me thinking about this: http://www.stillepost.ca/boards/index.php?topic=91564.0

i'm thinking about people who are put in power positions: ie security guards and bouncers, who may not really have proper training in "crowd control" and general crowd maintenance.

what are peoples' thoughts?  is there a certificate that bouncers need to have?  because i kind of feel like big dudes who do a lot of blow and make upwards of a grand a night through money passing favours and are also allowed to beat people up if necessary shouldn't be there.

(the above is provocative on purp.)

dragonboy

I've had some rough experiences with power trip bouncers in the UK.

"Last night these two bouncers
And one of em's alright
The other one's the scary one
His way or no way, totalitarian
He's got no time for you
Looking or breathing
How he dosen't want you to
So step out the queue
He makes examples of you
And there's nowt you can say
Behind they go through to the bit where you pay
And you realize then that it's finally the time
To walk back past ten thousand eyes in the line
And you can swap jumpers and make another move
Instilled in your brain you've got something to prove
To all the smirking faces and the boys in black
Why can't they be pleasant?
Why can't they have a laugh?
He's got his hand in your chest
He wants to give you a duff
Well secretly I think they want it all to kick off
They want, arms flying everywhere and
Bottles as well it's just
Something to talk about
A story to tell you"
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

LizKing531

Quotei've had a couple of weird experiences with bouncers before.  i know people who used to do that kind of work, and i've heard some real bad stories.  there are also very good bouncers/security guards in the world, for sure.

here's a link that got me thinking about this: http://www.stillepost.ca/boards/index.php?topic=91564.0

i'm thinking about people who are put in power positions: ie security guards and bouncers, who may not really have proper training in "crowd control" and general crowd maintenance.

what are peoples' thoughts?  is there a certificate that bouncers need to have?  because i kind of feel like big dudes who do a lot of blow and make upwards of a grand a night through money passing favours and are also allowed to beat people up if necessary shouldn't be there.

Man, is that link talking about the club in Indy?  

From my experience, the bouncers I've known have been total meat head roid freaks.  They were too big of douche bags to have social skills so they got muscles instead

EC

From my experience, the bouncers I've known have been total meat head roid freaks.  They were too big of douche bags to have social skills so they got muscles instead
nope, it's a club here in toronto.  my morning jacket played there, actually, on the old z tour.  it's a bigger club - it's kind of a dance/coke scene usually.

anyhow, i have friends who won't go to certain places because of the bouncer issues.  some clubs have a great security system.  a lot of them have super fucked up power trip people.  i've seen weirdo security guards in buildings, too.

i guess i'm just thinking that if i need a certificate saying i have training in the effects of alcohol so that i can serve people drinks, shouldn't people have some kind of training if they're going to be in charge of "securing"?  the best security people i've ever seen are people who are obviously intelligent and not necessarily large-ish.

security guards/bouncers are allowed to issue force, so i feel as though they should also be required to prove that they have the mental capacity to understand what is the best solution to handle "problems".  

LizKing531

nope, it's a club here in toronto.  my morning jacket played there, actually, on the old z tour.  it's a bigger club - it's kind of a dance/coke scene usually.

anyhow, i have friends who won't go to certain places because of the bouncer issues.  some clubs have a great security system.  a lot of them have super fucked up power trip people.  i've seen weirdo security guards in buildings, too.

i guess i'm just thinking that if i need a certificate saying i have training in the effects of alcohol so that i can serve people drinks, shouldn't people have some kind of training if they're going to be in charge of "securing"?  the best security people i've ever seen are people who are obviously intelligent and not necessarily large-ish.

security guards/bouncers are allowed to issue force, so i feel as though they should also be required to prove that they have the mental capacity to understand what is the best solution to handle "problems".  

I totally agree.  But then again - where else can a guy that lifts weights all day & does blow all night with serious rage issues to boot get a job these days?

I have also known a few cool ones too - a very few & those guys definitely weren't the dudes at the "hip - cool - dance club" either.  I think it comes with the territory - create a scene celebrating everything superficial & egotistical & you're bound to attract some choice selections from society.  

mjkoehler

Quotei've had a couple of weird experiences with bouncers before.  i know people who used to do that kind of work, and i've heard some real bad stories.  there are also very good bouncers/security guards in the world, for sure.

That accounted for about 95% of the bouncers I've know. Most of the ones that I knew is college were juiced up freaks who played football and had egos the size of the Rock Of Gibraltor. There were a few really cool ones, but most were just pricks.

primushead

QuoteI've had some rough experiences with power trip bouncers in the UK.

"Last night these two bouncers
And one of em's alright
The other one's the scary one
His way or no way, totalitarian
He's got no time for you
Looking or breathing
How he dosen't want you to
So step out the queue
He makes examples of you
And there's nowt you can say
Behind they go through to the bit where you pay
And you realize then that it's finally the time
To walk back past ten thousand eyes in the line
And you can swap jumpers and make another move
Instilled in your brain you've got something to prove
To all the smirking faces and the boys in black
Why can't they be pleasant?
Why can't they have a laugh?
He's got his hand in your chest
He wants to give you a duff
Well secretly I think they want it all to kick off
They want, arms flying everywhere and
Bottles as well it's just
Something to talk about
A story to tell you"

I love the Arctic Monkeys.  I really do.

TEO

I try to lay low and do what I am told immediately to avoid any conflicts.
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

Jaimoe

Hey EC, I hate The Guvernment (the bar you are alluding to). MMJ should never play that cavernous dump ever again.

The good bouncers you never see. It's always the thugs that stand out and some clubs love having thugs-as-security. The Guv isn't the worst place in Toronto: I'm looking at you Brunswick House. Anyway, any club that has a high percentage of young people of a university/college demographic, will have asshole security, no matter what city you live in.

ManNamedTruth

my nephew got jumped by a bouncer at a club just the other day while home from the marines. i wasn't there but from what i hear he wasn't doing anything wrong.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

EC

QuoteHey EC, I hate The Guvernment (the bar you are alluding to). MMJ should never play that cavernous dump ever again.

The good bouncers you never see. It's always the thugs that stand out and some clubs love having thugs-as-security. The Guv isn't the worst place in Toronto: I'm looking at you Brunswick House. Anyway, any club that has a high percentage of young people of a university/college demographic, will have asshole security, no matter what city you live in.
my morning jacket is far too good for the guv, i agree.  maybe it was the only available venue.  oooh, wouldn't you die to see them at massey hall, jaimoe?

speaking of massey hall, i would give anything to see neil young play there next month.  or this month.  man alive.

but let's get on to the question - don't you guys think that people should have licenses if they're permitted to use force?  for real.  i'm really not a big fan of making people get licenses for things, but for this - i've heard so many bad stories.  it's like people are handed blank cheques of force, and a lot of times they're not mentally equipped to understand how to best take care of a situation.

Jaimoe

I believe you can press charges on excessive force used at clubs by bouncers, but it's good if you aren't drunk when you get tossed out of the front doors.