Into the Wild movie

Started by bowl_of_soup, Sep 19, 2007, 04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

Thanks, I will definatly try and hunt down that 20/20 story, it sounds very interesting.  

You are right, I'm still reading stuff about this story everyday on the internet.  I've found some really interesting interviews with Emile and Sean and a couple with the author.  This story is extremely fascinating to me.  
There's Still Time.........

bowl of soup

Just found out that it opens in Tampa this weekend.  My wife and I may cancel a camping trip to go Saturday.  I'm ready to be let down, but your review gives me hope.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

sweatboard

Seeing the movie will make you wish you hadn't canceled your trip.....that's how good it is.  ;)

I can't wait for the DVD release.  The amount of cool shit they could put as extras is infinate.  It better be at least two discs.

mtngurl

Read this book!!!
I can't wait to see the movie, hope I'm not disappointed. I have read it at least three times. The first time, I was at Lake Powell in Southern Utah which is referenced in the book. I had never heard the story of Everett Reuss.  I really like how Krakauer mirrors thier experiences.
Fascinating read!
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.

bowl of soup

QuoteSeeing the movie will make you wish you hadn't canceled your trip.....that's how good it is.  ;)

I can't wait for the DVD release.  The amount of cool shit they could put as extras is infinate.  It better be at least two discs.

Upon further review.  Chris McCandless would have never have cancelled a camping trip to see a movie and neither did we.  We're shooting for this weekend.

TheBigChicken

QuoteSeeing the movie will make you wish you hadn't canceled your trip.....that's how good it is.  ;)

Upon further review.  Chris McCandless would have never have cancelled a camping trip to see a movie and neither did we.  We're shooting for this weekend.
now your thinking ;)
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

jrat

just saw it. ridiculously good. i saw it with my dad. almost impossible to hold back tears. makes you appreciate the people around you, and obviously nature too.

the old man ripped my heart out.

just see this damn movie for the love of god
wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream - pink floyd

sweatboard

"the old man ripped my heart out."

Was that not one powerful acting performance.  He was amazing.

I bet that guy from Salvation Mt. was the real guy.  He had to be don't you think?  Man I still think about this movie all the time.  

red

I had a very in-depth dream about this last night (of course I can't remember it now), so I think that's a sign that I need to read this book and see the movie asap.

bowl of soup

I now have firm plans to finally see the movie tomorrow.  Babysitter's in place, leaving work early, dinner with my wife, movie, tears, sell all worldly possessions, open cool restaurant that sells nothing but organic and natural soups and salads, be happy.

bowl of soup

Saw it Friday.  I was worried after the first half-hour, but the rest blew me away.  He's very faithfull to the book I think, even in the way that the story is told (back and forth, etc.).  It's funny that in the movie I came to realize that its really a story about family and how family can either raise you up or kick you in the teeth.  All of the people he interacts with have some out-of-the-ordinary family shit that they are attempting to deal with.

I read in some places that Eddie Vedder soundtrack got in the way - I don't agree and I'm no big fan of Mr. Vedder.  I thought it suited the movie and was really perfect during the last 30 minutes.  Funny to think that while Chris McCandless was walking the earth, Eddie Vedder was turning into Eddie Vedder.

Lastly, I'm not a big award for art kind of person, but Hal Holbrook must win awards for his performance.  He was Ron Franz.  That's the picture I had of him when I read the book ten years ago.  He was in the movie for maybe 15 minutes and just stole the show.  When he's dropping Chris off and says that he wants to adopt him, well... lets just say I've never seen finer acting.  That was fucking real.