Main Menu

Ranking MMJ

Started by murph468, Sep 03, 2008, 04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

I think someone once said that arguing about music is like dancing for architecture...

pawpaw

Alright, but this thread is about American Rock Bands. I'm not going to include solo guys like Dylan, or Neil Young, but I will include the E-Street Band, because even though those songs are the creations of Springsteen, the E-Street Band are about as hot as it gets. Here's what I could think of for the American greats:

Grateful Dead
The Band
Beach Boys
CSN(and sometimes)Y
Pearl Jam
CCR
REM
The Byrds
(Bruce Springsteen &) The E-Street Band
Allman Brothers
Flaming Lips

I'm sure I'm leaving some obvious choices off of there, but yeah, I'd include My Morning Jacket on that list. Now, imo, MMJ can't touch the greatness of the top 4 bands, but I certainly think they're as good or better than the rest, in terms of albums created and live performance. Accessibility also goes a long way too...this is OUR band, they're at the top of their game today, and we can experience their art as they create it.

I'm not going to put an exact number on where I'd rank them, but My Morning Jacket is one of the ten greatest American bands ever (imo). That kind of statement always makes me laugh, but I truly believe it with these guys.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

mtngurl

Any of you ever heard of a little band called the Replacements? this little band defined a generation and were "grunge" years before whoever thot up that stupid ass term penned it.
Paul Westerberg is a living legend. I highly recommend you get educated on this fact.

Seriously, Bright Eyes?
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.

easy way

MMJ is the cat's pajamas...the bee's knees... :)
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

purvis9876

QuoteMMJ is the cat's pajamas...the bee's knees... :)

Beez kneez?
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.