the assassination of jesse james etc.

Started by Chills, Nov 18, 2007, 08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chills

Hi movie lovers,

I've been thinking about seeing this film.
However lately, I've been having a hard time getting through almost anything and find myself either distracted or outright bored.
Actually mostly a combination of those two.

This  movie runs 160 minutes. The critics loved it, but they also loved 'Babel' which I thought was overblown and pretentious as hell.
I did like The Proposition, if that offers some kind of reference.

Eagerly awaiting your esteemed opinions,

Serg

MarkW

Not seen the film, but reviews of Nick Cave's (and Warren Ellis') soundtrack have been so good that the music alone should see you through...
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Jaimoe

I want to see this film. I love westerns. I hear Pitt gets out-acted in this one. Anyway, I'm glad that westerns have made a big comeback in the last 5 or 6 years.

Angry Ewok

I love Westerns, but I haven't heard of this one... Thanks for the heads-up.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

dragonboy

I want to see this. The reviews have been very good, the cinematography looks beautiful + you've got a Nick Cave/Warren Ellis soundtrack!
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Jaimoe

QuoteI want to see this. The reviews have been very good, the cinematography looks beautiful + you've got a Nick Cave/Warren Ellis soundtrack!

How could the cinematography not look good? It was shot in the Canadian Prairies  :)

dragonboy

I sometimes wonder if you're not working for the Canadian tourist board Jaimoe. Do you get paid commission every time you post a pro-Canada comment?   ;)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Chills

QuoteNot seen the film, but reviews of Nick Cave's (and Warren Ellis') soundtrack have been so good that the music alone should see you through...

Hmm, didn't know that. Loved Nick and Warren's work for The Proposition.

This is definitely a plus!

Jaimoe

QuoteI sometimes wonder if you're not working for the Canadian tourist board Jaimoe. Do you get paid commission every time you post a pro-Canada comment?   ;)

Things Canadian often gets over-shadowed by our Yankee cousins, so I try to point out things that are relevant to the topics. I should get some kickback though.

Chills

Went to see it this week.

It was long, but I wasn't bored, not really thanks to the story actually. More thanks to some great acting. Lots of praise has gone to Casey Affleck, but I thought Sam Rockwell was impressive as well.

Also some beautiful nature shots (thank you Canadian prairie!), a good soundtrack and a hilarious Nick Cave cameo.

I'd still rate it below both "Unforgiven" and "The Proposition" though.

bearass

the new 3:10 to yuma is badass it sent me into a western kick for the past week or two tombstone reigns supreme though